I Need Turkey Smoking Tips Please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I Need Turkey Smoking Tips Please

kend
12-09-2003, 20:38
I'll try the right forum this time :)

I built a smoker and have the chicken and beef figured out but I want to try a turkey, any tips? Do you soak it in a brine solution first? What wood do you use? Thanks.

Garweh
12-12-2003, 07:49
I use a Brinkmann water smoker. Make a spice rub and rub the turkey breast with the rub, refrigerate overnight. Take turkey out of the frig about an hour before smoking. Start charcoal in a charcoal chimney. Do not use charcoal lighter or easy start briquettes--will add a bad taste to turkey. Is best to use CHUNK charcoal. When charcoal is covered with ash, put in bottom pan of smoker. Get the smoker readly, fill the water pan with hot liquid (water, wine, beer or a combination and some spices--adds wonderful flavor). Sear turkey skin all over using a blow torch and place turkey on oiled grate at top of smoker (skin side up). Cover smoker and let smoke for about 6 hours. DO NOT open smoker before this time is up. Add more lit charcoal as needed thru the side door of the smoker (add a few lit chunks every half hour to 45 minutes) to keep the heat and smoke going. Baste with your favorite BBQ sauce the last half hour. Slice and enjoy!!!

groverglock
12-12-2003, 08:07
I have a question. How do light the dern things?;f ;f ;f ;f

noway
12-12-2003, 08:28
I've smoked a few wild turkey breast over a electric Brinkman ( don't care for the rest of the bird )

I like to season my bird with what I like to taste. For me that means garlic and/or onion salt , pepper etc.....

I use walnut and/or maple chips that been soaked for 1hr or more. The breast cooks pretty quick so in about 2-3 hours they will be done depending on the cooking temp & size of the meat. I just use enough wood to get a good flavor and like to inject a mixture of light cooking oil with chopped very very fine garlic prior to placing them on the smoker. This ensure that the breast don't come out to dry.