Tri-Pacer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Pacer

ateamer
12-10-2003, 16:26
M2 and anyone who has flown a Tri-Pacer: The PA-22 looks like a really good plane, pretty decent payload, good speed and dirt cheap to buy as far as planes go. I would like to own a plane sometime in the next few years, and based on purchase price and capability, the Tri-Pacer looks like a good possibility. It looks like the 150 horsepower one is the best bet.

The things I would like to know about are maintenance issues (fabric doesn't look to be a problem as long it was properly painted and cared for), parts availibility and cost and front seat room (I weigh 250). I plan on getting my instrument rating; will it make a decent IFR platform? I won't need dual 530s or EFIS, just a pair of King nav/comms, a VOR indicator or two and maybe DME.

C150J
12-10-2003, 17:00
I plan on getting my instrument rating; will it make a decent IFR platform?

My family owned an IFR C150J (a similar aircraft) for a couple years (see pics at www.maasaviation.com). I flew short hops in actual (about 11 hours of IMC in that aircraft), but it wasn't the most stable platform. We had a GNS 430 (the pics were pre-installation) in it, so that helped, but it was a bear in terms of holding altitude and heading. I remember requesting block altitudes frequently). I think it made me a much better pilot, but wouldn't recommend it for long hauls.

That being said, it'll do the job. If you just want to fly through a deck of low overcast or shoot an approach, it'll do!

Blue Skies!
Justin

M2 Carbine
12-10-2003, 21:14
ateamer,
The last time I flew a Tri Pacer was in the late 60's so I can't give you much current information. The ones I flew had 135's I believe and were a bit underpowered with four people on board.

I liked the airplane but then I've hardly ever met an airplane I didn't like.

I don't know about the availability of parts. It's a pretty old bird.

As far as flying instruments in it, or any small single engine, just stay within limits and keep a good safety margin.
I doubt you could call any of them stable in a little weather.
(I landed a helicopter offshore in marginal VFR in 75 knot winds, talk about unstable;f)

Try your 250 pounds in the seat and see how it feels;)

ateamer
12-10-2003, 22:45
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
(I landed a helicopter offshore in marginal VFR in 75 knot winds, talk about unstable;f)

;W ^c You are THE man!

M2 Carbine
12-10-2003, 23:51
Originally posted by ateamer
;W ^c You are THE man!

Back in the 70's there wasn't really any wind restriction on our offshore flying and it was pretty much what ever you thought you could handle.

40 and 50 knot winds offshore isn't unusual.

One day I flew over six hours straight making over a hundred landings (doing the work of 4 helicopters) in over 60 knot winds. That will wear you out.

Some time later I made 4 landings and TO's in a 70 knot wind.

Along about in the late 80's the company said to fly in over a 40 knot wind you had to have supervisor approval and they pretty much shut everyone down about 50 knots.

A supervisor told me to come back in when it hit 55 knots one day.
I gave him Hell and told him don't ever turn me around again or I would start following all the rules;f

BillCola
12-11-2003, 08:22
ateamer, I don't know beans about the tri-pacer, but I do know this:

Make sure you can get a hangar now!! If there is a waiting list at your home drome, you want to be on it. Parking your dream outside can cause sleep apnea, sexual dysfunction, and the runs. Don't ask how I know.

Best,
Bill