GREEK FOOD! (with lots of mispelled words) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GREEK FOOD! (with lots of mispelled words)

ExxoticOne
12-10-2003, 21:26
Hello...I'm looking for a recipe for "Greek" lasagne...called pasticio or something like that...there is nutmeg in the meat and the cheese is very soft and creamy...but NOT feta...can anyone help me?

I would also like a good recipe for spanikopita (spinach pie).

Thank you in advance. If you really want to help, please PREPARE the meal and send it to me:)

Hines57
12-10-2003, 23:23
This recipe looks ok
Pas****o : http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11910.asp

Spanikopita has a whole bunch o different recipes on the web. Most seem to use frozen spinach. Are you looking for the individually wrapped (difficult) or the make it all at once recipe (easy). How many are you cooking for?

I worked at a Mesopotamian restaurant and made them by the boat load. The individually wrapped ones with 12 layers of phyllo dough. A royal pain in the butt.

:( stupid edit thing- the word is p-a-s-t-i-t-s-o

groverglock
12-10-2003, 23:45
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
Hello...I'm looking for a recipe for "Greek" lasagne...called pasticio or something like that...there is nutmeg in the meat and the cheese is very soft and creamy...but NOT feta...can anyone help me?

I would also like a good recipe for spanikopita (spinach pie).

Thank you in advance. If you really want to help, please PREPARE the meal and send it to me:)

would you possibly be looking for a recipe for moussaka. It is a very popular Greek dish made with the ingredients you describe but instead of using noodles like in lasagna, it uses eggplant. It is commonly made with ground lamb.

Glockerel
12-11-2003, 06:59
Pas****io is a greek pasta dish. It is penne or similar-shaped noodles with a meat sauce flavored with cinnamon, turned into a bowl and topped with cheese and baked. The cheese could be kasari or a mix of kasari and feta.
The reason the middle of the dish name is **** is because it's a four letter word rhyming with sits.

ExxoticOne
12-11-2003, 07:42
Thanks for the replies! That word editing is funny. I love Greek food so YES I would love the mousaka recipe as well. For the spinach pie I'd like to make a big tray and servce it lasagna-style...deep dish, etc...so that people can just dig in. Never head of Kasari cheese, whatever I had, it was sooo sweet and creamy...almost like a dessert and the very subtle touch of the cinammon in the beef was incredible. I had lemon-chicken soup the other nite with orzo in it...ok, well, I had 4 bowls actually:)

Again, thanks for taking the time out to post:)

hcook
12-11-2003, 09:34
If you'd like, I can ask my brother-in-law to ask his parents. They're from the old country...

groverglock
12-11-2003, 10:29
I am on duty at the firestation right now. 24 more to go so when I get home to my files, I will get the recipe and post it for you. I would send you one made up, but with the Holiday mail, the USPS (United States Postal Storage) would keep it so long, it would be like the proverbial Christmas fruitcake no body wants.;f ;f ;f

Mild Bill
12-11-2003, 14:24
Exxotic, I post this cause you're a Tampanian...

On the second Thursday of every month, like today, I do a run to Tarpon Springs...
For those who don't know, it's like a "Little Greece"... a district on the water with shopping and restaurants...
I always stop in to Costa's, one of the best restaurants there...
They have all that stuff, and an insane seafood combo, which is what I usually get...

Crispy fried Smelts, Grilled Octopus and Grilled Squid...
Cooked with lemon, garlic, oregano and olive oil...
I don't know how they make the octopus so incredibly tender, juicy and flavorful... The squid too...

The flaming Saganaki "Opa Cheese" is indescribable when eaten still hot...
The lamb chops grilled with lemon, garlic, oregano and olive oil are insane too...

I haven't tried the Pas-tit-sio because it's not Atkin's friendly...

I just got back and wanted to recommend this place since you mentioned you liked Greek food...

;c

nickg
12-15-2003, 08:38
god i love greek food. the local greek church here has a festival every summer and the food is PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!! all home made!!

yummy. :)

seanmac45
12-15-2003, 11:57
Meat Mixture

6 TBSP butter
¾ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ¼ lbs. ground beef
16 oz can peeled tomatoes crushed
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup water
1 tsp. salt `
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves

Macaroni
¾ lb. Macaroni (greek pas****io noodles if possible)
¼ cup butter, melted
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup parm. Cheese

White Sauce
6 TBSP butter
6 TBSP flour
2 cups warm milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 TBSP dry sherry
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. Nutmeg
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated

Cook the macaroni while preparing the meat mixture. Prepare the meat mixture by heating a large skillet and adding 2 tablespoons of the butter. Sauté the onion and garlic until golden. Add remaining butter and the crumbled ground beef. Add remaining ingredients for the meat mixture and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Mixture should be thick. Set aside.

Prepare the Macaroni by bringing the water to a boil in a large stockpot. Add the salt and the macaroni. Stir gently and cook uncovered until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Add the melted butter, beaten eggs, and grated cheese. Put half of this mixture into a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan and top with the meat mixture. Try to line the pasta up in neat rows for a better presentation. Cover the meat with the remaining half of the pasta.

Prepare the white sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for a moment. Gradually add the heated milk, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened and smooth. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and stir in ½ cup of the sauce. Blend and stir the egg mixture into the saucepan. Continue to stir and cook over low heat until all is thickened. Add remaining ingredients for the sauce. Pour the sauce over the macaroni and bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until the top is delicately browned.

Mild Bill
12-16-2003, 23:40
Originally posted by nickg
god i love greek food. the local greek church here has a festival every summer and the food is PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!! all home made!!

yummy. :)
Those Greek festivals are a blast!