newbie Cammo questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : newbie Cammo questions

Nigel_C
12-11-2003, 06:40
Guys,
going on my first hunt soon in North Florida. Friend is a property owner. Will be in a stand.
Question I have is how Camo'd up do need to be. Since this is a first trip, I dont want to go crazy on "hunting gear" Most of my field stuff will work . I can be either Warm in the stand, but not well camo'd (no camo jacket) or camo'd and possibly cold.

Any thoughts or sugestions ?
actually ank knowledge you care to dump would be appreciated :-)

TScottW99
12-11-2003, 06:50
Are you hunting for deer? If so, I would worry more about scent then my camo. Or hunt with the wind. If your going to be on a stand it's also better to be warm and comfortable then camo'd. I like to be head to toe in camo with my blaze orange on also, usally a baseball hat and vest. (of course that's just me, plenty of deer killed in solid blaze orange) But I try to be scent free as possible and as high in the stand as I feel comfortable, helps with the scent and camo.

Nigel_C
12-11-2003, 07:23
TScottW99 :
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm hunting for Deer,white tail.

Tree Stand is approx 15 feet up. It is permanent so I wont be able to move with the wind if it goes against me. I'm seeing now why scent control is important.
I've been told to wash all my Gear in baking soda, dry them outside ,pack them in a plastic container,with some small twigs and branches and DO NOT Open until going to hunt. how does that sound ?

The way I see it I have 2 choices with Scent Control. Masking and Eliminating.
Would it make more sense to periodically mask my scent with one of the millions of off the shelf products...doe pee ..yadda yadda yadda as opposed to hoping by HS-Camo odor eliminating Deodorant holds up all day :-)

Not enough coffee.. too many questions :-(

TriggerTripper
12-11-2003, 09:56
Camo is cool and all, but it really doesnít matter all that much to have camo clothing. At least not as much as we hunters like to pretend it is. (although getting all dressed and painted up is part of the fun.) Anyway, deer are not completely color blind as we tend to think of colors, but they do see different wavelengths in the color spectrum than we do. For example, yellow, red, orange and brown are not well perceived by deer, and greys, browns, and greens, (the most common colors in camo clothing) are all thought to be perceived by deer as slightly different shades of yellow. (perhaps much like we have difficulty distinguishing from different shades of grey and off-white) Deer are fairly poor at distinguishing detail, what they really look for is movement. Which they can pick up very well! The most important factors when hiding from deer is to conceal your movements, scents, and sounds.

Youíll be safe enough using any clothing that is a muted color: grey, brown, green and in a pinch dark blue or black. It may help to mix these colors, for example, brown pants and a green coat might work better than wearing all one color just to break up the form. Be sure to mask your hands and face as we tend to move them a lot and they reflect drawing attention to ourselves. But as far as the clothing choice, never sacrifice the comfort of staying warm for any clothing of a better color! I canít sit still, or shoot straight when Iím cold . I hope this helps, be sure and post a pic if you get one, the first deer is always a trophy!

Those pesky deer gave me the slip this year, I hope you have a safe, successful hunt!

Regards
TT

MDT
12-11-2003, 10:07
DON'T be stinky!!!!
;f

Plenty of scent eliminators (soaps/shampoos, etc.) and cover scents (doe pee, acorns, pine).

I got blanked this year too, I hope you do well!

MDT

ithaca_deerslayer
12-11-2003, 14:13
Deer have great vision

for movement.

But if you don't move, and if they are staring staight at you, it doesn't matter much if you have camo or blaze orange or a t-shirt that says in big letters "I'm a hunter".

It helps to have camo to break up your body when you make those silly little movements that tend to give you away.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-11-2003, 14:17
Warm, orange, and no movement is much better better than cold, camo, and moving to stay warm.

I didn't know it actually got cold in Florida. I can sit 4 hours at 20F, but can only last 2hours at 0F. I imagine I could sit all day on a Florida beach at 70F, and watch the bikinis walk by :)

Nigel_C
12-11-2003, 14:36
ithica.. 70 is positively chilly.

I'm in North Florida.. it gets to freezing a lot during the winter and since day break and sunset are the rush hour for deer I anticipate being out in those temps. I think I'll opt for WARM and Camo challenged :-)

Then I'll be off to the beach for margaritas and bikini hunting !!

TScottW99
12-11-2003, 22:53
The baking soda and leaf litter is very good advice. I wash my clothes in no scent detergent and no UV detergent (it's the same stuff, I buy it at wally world for about $3.00) You can bath in baking soda also or use a nonscent soap from Knight & Hale or Hunters Specialties.