pork shoulder or boston butt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pork shoulder or boston butt

f1b32oPTic
12-13-2003, 21:59
what to do with these cuts?
i dont have a crock pot so what else can i do and make these nice inexpensive cuts of pork delicious?

recipes plz!

oh yeah, no smoker either

MrsKitty
12-13-2003, 23:15
My father grills them over really low heat for hours...then chops them and adds his own SECRET recipe(even I don't know, and I doubt I ever will) barbacue sauce.

Sorry, I can't be of more help...

Zak3056
12-14-2003, 18:04
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
what to do with these cuts?
i dont have a crock pot so what else can i do and make these nice inexpensive cuts of pork delicious?

I don't have any full recipes for you, but I offer the following suggestion: braise them in the oven at 300* for maybe three hours. You will not be disappointed.

noway
12-14-2003, 18:43
Pork Shoulder or Boston butts are very nice cuts of meat from a hog. The complete pork shoulder would be about 8-12lbs and contains the Boston Butt and Picnic cuts.They are regularly used in SE area for the Carolina "Slow Smoke pork" aka as Pull Porked or Chopped pork.

the best way to cook them is w/ a smoker. Cook at aroun 190-200degs for about 1.5-2hrs per pound. I perfer my boston butts de-boned and slow smoked with a simple dry-rub and flavor injected marinade.

JHS
12-14-2003, 19:01
Put in pot add saurkraut(sp), make fluffy dumpling, pigout!

f1b32oPTic
12-14-2003, 21:20
im getting a charcoal smoker now because of my love of this cut of meat!!!

i had some awesome smoked boston butt today.
my buddy smoked a 9lb. boston butt in a charcoal smoker and MAN WAS IT GREAT!!!!

he simply dry-rubbed it and smoked it for 6 hours..

and JHS,
i love pork and kraut, but how do you make the fluffy dumplings that you are speaking of?
fluffy dumplings just sound tasty

ExxoticOne
12-14-2003, 22:05
Originally posted by JHS
Put in pot add saurkraut(sp), make fluffy dumpling, pigout!

Great eats! I do something very similar...but I add 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 bottle of dark beer.

For the dumplings...it's just bisquick, chopped parsley, egg, water...dropped in when the pork is "almost" done.

noway
12-15-2003, 00:32
{i had some awesome smoked boston butt today.
my buddy smoked a 9lb. boston butt in a charcoal smoker and MAN WAS IT GREAT!!!!}

You'll find the Boston Butt to be idea for smoking.
;)

It was like God created a pig and the shoulder meat for cooking over a slow low heat with smoke. Quite tasty and better than Ham.

f1b32oPTic
12-15-2003, 00:47
Originally posted by noway
[B better than Ham. [/B]

MUCH BETTER!

Glockerel
12-15-2003, 06:45
If you don't have a smoker, take the butt, dry rub it and slow cook in an oven, covered, at 300f for 4 hours in an inch of water with 1/4 cup liquid smoke- Scnitzius brand if you can find it, it's THE best.
Then pull it apart when cool enough to handle. Add your favorite BBQ sauce, serve on a bun topped with creamy coleslaw.
Yeah baby!

hispeedlodrag
12-15-2003, 09:22
Dry rub (without salt) overnight.
Bring to room temperature and add salt.
Cook on grill over low heat with drip pan for 1 hour, then wrap in foil and cook for an additional 2-4 hours depending on weight.

Shred and enjoy with your favorite BBQ sauce.

lethal tupperwa
12-15-2003, 10:43
I remove the bone.

I like to cut the meat so that the marinade gets every where.
cut the thick parts but not all the way through, so you can roll it back together. it is called butter flying.

Mix 4 smashed cloves of garlic, a hand full of fresh oregano ( I use about a cupfull), 4 Tablespoons of salt, Kosher if you have it, 1 Tablespoon of black pepper 1/2 cup of olive oil, and 1/4 cup of vinegar. I use a food processor.

I don't put all the salt in the mix only half. rub 1/2 of this mix inside the meat and then roll it back up so it looks like it did before you started.

Cut the fat cap on the meat with a sharp knife in both directions to make 1/2-inch diamonds. cut as deep as the fat.

Add the rest of the salt to the mix and rub into the out side of the meat and into the cut diamonds.

Cover and put into the fridge over night.

Let stand at room temp for about 1/2 hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees roast uncovered for three hours, if it is a real big shoulder maybe-longer check with a meat thermometer.

The skin will be crispy and is served along with the meat.

So far every one has liked it.

AAshooter
12-15-2003, 11:22
1 (5 to 6 pound) pork shoulder or Boston butt pork roast
2 teaspoons salt
10 pounds hardwood charcoal, divided
Hickory wood chunks
Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows (optional)
Peppery Vinegar Sauce, recipe follows (optional)

Sprinkle pork with salt. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Prepare charcoal fire with half of charcoal in grill. Let burn 15 to 20 minutes or until covered with gray ash. Push coals evenly into piles on both sides off grill. Carefully place 2 hickory chunks on top of each pile, and place food rack on grill.

Place pork, meaty side down, on rack directly in center of grill. Cover with lid, leaving ventilation holes completely open.

Prepare an additional charcoal fire with 12 briquettes in an auxiliary grill or fire bucket. let burn for 30 minutes or until covered with gray ash. Carefully add 6 briquettes to each pile in smoker. Place 2 more hickory chunks on each pile. repeat procedure every 30 minutes. You will continue to cook the pork, covered for 5 hours and 30 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers at least 165 degrees F. Turn the pork once during the last 2 hours.

Remove pork from the grill. Cool slightly. Chop and serve with Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce or Peppery Vinegar Sauce.

Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Stir together all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Cover and chill sauce until ready to serve.
Yield: 2 cups

Peppery Vinegar Sauce:
1 quart cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper

Stir all ingredients together, blending well.

f1b32oPTic
12-15-2003, 12:04
AAshooter, that sounds awesome!

thanks for the sauce recipe

AAshooter
12-15-2003, 12:16
Here is another from the Weber web sight for the BBQ that is on my list. They suggest indirect heat for this.

Weber Recipes
Pulled Pork Barbecue with Hot Pepper Vinegar Sauce

Tender shreds of spiced pork are all the more delectable when drenched in this hot pepper vinegar sauce.

For the rub:

2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), 4 to 5 pounds

For the sauce:

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Salt and pepper

Hamburger Buns
Coleslaw (optional)

To make the rub: In a small bowl combine all rub ingredients. Rub mixture over pork roast, pressing into surface.

Place pork in center of cooking grate. Grill 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours for well-done (170 F/77 C), or until very tender. Remove meat from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a medium saucepan combine apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Keep warm.

Shred, chop, or "pull" pork into shreds with two forks. Add hot pepper vinegar sauce; mix well. Serve on buns with extra sauce and coleslaw, if desired.

AAshooter
12-23-2003, 12:53
Originally posted by AAshooter
1 (5 to 6 pound) pork shoulder or Boston butt pork roast
2 teaspoons salt
10 pounds hardwood charcoal, divided
Hickory wood chunks

Peppery Vinegar Sauce:
1 quart cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper

Stir all ingredients together, blending well.

I tried this in a Weber smoker. Turned out really well. I cooked it to tempurature but should have cooked it longer. It was a little difficult to "pull". The vinegar sauce was good. It turned out to be hotter than expected but was good. Anyway, thought I would follow-up on my previous post.

SoDFW Jason
12-23-2003, 13:48
Originally posted by Glockerel
If you don't have a smoker, take the butt, dry rub it and slow cook in an oven, covered, at 300f for 4 hours in an inch of water with 1/4 cup liquid smoke- Scnitzius brand if you can find it, it's THE best.
Then pull it apart when cool enough to handle. Add your favorite BBQ sauce, serve on a bun topped with creamy coleslaw.
Yeah baby!

You got it. One of my favorite foods.

Not bad for a Yankee;) ;f