PFDs vs. Traditional "T" for New Students?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PFDs vs. Traditional "T" for New Students??

C150J
12-14-2003, 16:55
Hey guys,

With the advent of affordable PFDs (like the new Garmin GNS 1000) and their presence in GA aircraft (the FAA's new "Technically Advanced Aircraft" term), do you think students should be learning on them, or on "steam"? Personally, I think new pilots should be trained on a traditional "T" panel initially, as it seems to me that most PFD/MFDs are designed for more experienced pilots. To me, they SEEM to be more of a "snapshot" of what's going on, not a "full briefing." For example, an airspeed "tape" is a lot different than a fully-arced gauge, as it really expects the pilot to have a general idea of what ref speeds are. What do y'all think? What about learning on FADEC versus a three-levered (throttle, mixture, prop) quadrant?

Justin

flybywire
12-14-2003, 17:49
You gotta learn the fundamentals. Start at the bottom and work your way up. The stuff at the top doesn't always work. (Almost always works though.)

BillCola
12-14-2003, 18:25
I agree with both of you, BUT...in 20 years or less, they'll all be PFD's anyway, don't ya think? Then, it will be moot.

On the other hand, learning on a PFD now would leave a person with a whole lot of unfamiliar aircraft left to learn.

Medpilot 2
12-15-2003, 09:27
Are you talking about the G1000?

http://www.garmin.com/products/g1000/graphics/cessnaPanelHi.jpg

I think it depends on what type of equipment is going to be flown later on. Why learn the antiquated stuff if it's never going to be put to practical use?

rwg_bt
12-16-2003, 01:46
Heh, even the backup horizon is glass.

glocknsail
12-16-2003, 08:50
After flying glass, you will have no scan.

Superfueler
12-17-2003, 08:52
I'm not sure how you define affordable, but I know I won't be buying one anytime soon, and neither will the flying club I am in. While we will see alot more glass in GA planes in the near future, there will still be plenty of 'normal' cockpits out there. I think the basic training should focus on the T config, and then if a student transitions to a glass cockpit aircraft, train them to use that setup.