What To Do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What To Do?

amprecon
12-14-2003, 18:44
I joined the Navy in 1987 as an aircraft mechanic, I left in 1997 and got my A&P certificate in 1998, I then got my private pilot certificate November 2001. I moved to Billings, MT April 2002 and enrolled at Rocky Mountain College for my instrument rating including a full plate of classes. We moved to Memphis August 2003 before I could take my final check ride and I also ran out of money.

I had issues with situational awareness as far as my location after a touch-and-go and re-entering a different type of instrument approach which required extra flights and more money.

I now have a $15,000 school bill and no instrument rating. I am sick to my stomach about it and wish I had never pursued it. I've always wanted to fly and went for it, but now I think it wasn't meant to be. I am 34 years old now and think my window has been shut in my face, any suggestions?

Medpilot 2
12-15-2003, 09:19
Ouch, 15 grand and no inst. ticket? I'd say if you were to cut your losses now, you're out 15 grand with almost nothing to show for it. That's a lot of money to just throw away. I'd find a better school and keep going. I spent 30K on my schooling and I only regret that I didn't go to a mom and pop school where it would have been cheaper.

amprecon
12-15-2003, 17:51
It's a good school, I think they talked me into taking a full plate of classes so they could obviously make more money, but the excuse they used was that I would be eligible for more grant money and loans if I were to take a 12 credit semester.

Let me say that the Instrument class and the associated flying were probably the hardest thing I've ever undertaken, and I've spent 10 years in the Navy and even tortured myself with a reserve police academy and got my A&P ticket.

The Instrument should've been taken alone with no other distractions, I worked full time at night, had a family to support and also had to study and memorize the million do's and dont's of instrument flight, and study for the other three classes. I should've known better.

But your right, I should finish it off regardless. Sorry for the whining.

TheGrinch
12-17-2003, 06:09
Hang in there, keep looking forward, forget about what is already behind you.

The instrument rating is the biggest enhancement to safety and utility in flying. I hope that you will press on, and complete the ticket. The real world of IFR is easier and way more enjoyable than the machinations of getting the rating itself.

The only landing that matters is the next one.

Best of luck,

Grinch