Raining & deer and scent [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Raining & deer and scent

noway
12-15-2003, 11:20
How does rain effect deers sense of smell? I was curious as to what happens when it rain and what does the deer do?

ithaca_deerslayer
12-16-2003, 08:47
I don't think the rain changes the deer behavior.

Not sure what it does to the scent (our stink). I know I can smell things more in the rain, or just after a rain, so maybe they can too.

The big change, as I see it, is how quiet everything becomes. Both for them walking and us walking. It is a good time for stalking.

noway
12-16-2003, 08:52
My thinking was a light rain would dampen our scent and reducing the deer capability to smell us.

I know when it is raining my nose couldn't smell a pizza 10ft away, but then again I don't have a deer nose;f

So the next question, do you have better luck in hunting a deer during a light rain vrs a dry day? I would figure most hunters wouldn't try to shoot a deer in a heavy rain due to visibilty.

I'm I wrong here?

f1b32oPTic
12-16-2003, 09:22
i think that rain intensifies our scent by the water dripping off our clothes and onto the ground leaving our own scent trail.

i have found wind to kick up also and it can change direction alot when it rains that can ruin your stalk..

now the scent trail is not so bad if you are still hunting into the wind and going in one direction

Michigun
12-16-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
I know I can smell things more in the rain, or just after a rain, so maybe they can too.

Bingo!

Read a real good article (sorry, no link… magazine) on some actual tests done on a ranch involving whitetail deer… they found that they smell the best just before & just after a rain. They found they smell REAL good in the rain as well. Their sense of smell is at its worst during real cold weather… high humidity & really hot weather doesn’t do them any good either.

water_daddy
12-16-2003, 11:31
I'm certain light rain does intensify the sense of smell, but it also creates more background scent, ever smell the earth after a rain, multiply that by 1,000 for a whitetail. My thought is the deer's scent may become sharper and make it tougher for close range, but with a little distance background scents mask you well. It seems high humidy allows for micro particles to suspend in the air and on surface better. That is why when it is extremely cold the moisture is condensed and leaves the air, making the deer's sense of smell less effcient.

water_daddy
12-16-2003, 11:41
I would like to clarify there is point when too much humidity is counter active. Saturated air will "grab" prevent scent from dispersing well. Common in hot high humidity conditions are stagant choking air. If there is no air current much of the scent is localized very near the source.

ILikeFtLbs
12-16-2003, 13:33
That's correct. Moisture in the air causes our scent to elevate about 4 feet of the ground and stay in the immediate area. I have found in my many years of hunting that bucks like to move a lot in the rain, after the rain, before the snow, and immediately after the snow. Use cover scent and you should be fine.....a lot of it. Don't sit out a hunt because of rain.

CanyonMan
12-17-2003, 22:05
Noway,

Howdy my friend!

you said..(quote).."So the next question, do you have better luck in hunting a deer during a light rain vrs a dry day? I would figure most hunters wouldn't try to shoot a deer in a heavy rain due to visibilty.

I'm I wrong here?.....(end quote)..

"for me," i love to hunt in a 'fine mist, or very light drizzle', or 'light to medium snow' situation. It appears they "stir" a bit more. Some folks say they "bed, or stay put," during such conditions, but i disagree with this one. I have always had good luck with these situations.

As for hunting in a "heavy rain," as you mentioned, I flat don't like to get in it personally, so, "i do not believe that you are wrong here." Visibility is in this siuation, is limited for the hunter, plus, it does seem to me that they do tend in a "heavy rain," to stay put more, and not mill around, but stay in cover.

Later Hoss!

CanyonMan

onemilmhz
12-17-2003, 23:06
Originally posted by CanyonMan
"for me," i love to hunt in a 'fine mist, or very light drizzle', or 'light to medium snow' situation. It appears they "stir" a bit more. Some folks say they "bed, or stay put," during such conditions, but i disagree with this one. I have always had good luck with these situations.
Based on my experience here in Georgia deer definitely bed during rain. Just before and just after a rain storm are the best times to hunt, again based on my experience. A deer is like mother natures barameter. Prior to the storm they are moving and feeding in anticipation of the bad weather. After the weather moves on they are usually back out again, especially if the weather lasted more than a day or two.

CanyonMan
12-18-2003, 13:04
onemilmhz,

(said, quote)...
Based on my experience here in Georgia deer definitely bed during rain. Just before and just after a rain storm are the best times to hunt, again based on my experience. A deer is like mother natures barameter. Prior to the storm they are moving and feeding in anticipation of the bad weather. After the weather moves on they are usually back out again, especially if the weather lasted more than a day or two. (end quote)...

I 'totally agree with you' about just before, and just after being very good times to hunt. No doubt.

I'm only saying that in a "light drizzle, or midst, or snow fall," These too, have been very productive for us.

But as 'you mentioned', "Prior to and after a 'real heavy storm,' situation, you are right on. (at least in mypart of America)

CanyonMan

Cam Cooke
12-18-2003, 16:12
I have been hunting Blacktail deer in the Pacific Northwest Coastal mountains for about 20 years now. I pick the most miserable rainy days to hunt these deer. Firstly Blacktail seem to come out into the open more when it is raining hard, and secondly the rain covers up what sounds that I make better. I am way more successful when it is raining but I am always aware of the wind direction and hunt the same if it is raining or not.