What's the deal with lamb? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with lamb?

Hines57
12-16-2003, 01:53
I had Indian buffet this evening and was pondering why lamb is not more prevelant in american cuisine. Its common to see in greek and indian, but other than leg o'lamb or a chop here and there, it seems to be uncommon here.
Any ideas on why it hasn't caught on as well as beef, chicken or pork?

Alchemy
12-16-2003, 03:12
Well all that i can tell you is that at my house, my wife hates lamb.
I happen to love it. she does the cooking so i'm screwed!

hcook
12-16-2003, 05:50
Lamb can have a very strong flavor that the American palette may find offensive. Most Americans are used to hamburger, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, salami, etc. The cuts of actual meat that we consume are normally the product of corn-fed animals and just barely meet the criteria for having taste.

I enjoy wild game, so I'm not easily put off by the sometimes gamey taste of lamb. Even then, I've had lamb that was hard to take. Done right though, lamb is superb.

noway
12-16-2003, 07:09
hcook pretty much summed it up.

But other issues are that very few people raise lamb here in the states. So the price for USDA premium or choice cuts of lamb is very very HIGH! As the past outbreaks with european meats and Mad Cow has been look down by importers of meats and their prices have skyrocketd. If you look around most lamb is imported via Australia.

If you don't like lamb you can always find Goat/"Cabrito" and it is just as good and more plentiful and full of flavor and much cheaper. My family raise about 4-5 goats per year and they get sold right about the Mexican holidays.

fnfalman
12-16-2003, 09:07
I also agree with hcook's post. The typical American's taste in food is very poor to say the least. Frankly, if you feed them good steaks, they'd gripe that it doesn't taste like the steak they get at Denny's, or how it ain't like mama made at home. I've had guys that refused to eat my premium Omaha steaks cooked to a perfectly pink in the middle. They want their steaks skinny and burnt! If they can't even recognize good beef, they sure as hell ain't gonna go for something as esoteric as lamb. Or goat.

When I say Americans, I meant Americans as a whole and not Caucasian-American, Hispanic-American, Asian-American, et al. Actually, come to think of it, people are generally very parochial. They don't venture out for most anything, especially food.

Not me. If it's good grubs, I'd go for it. And I have the belly to show for my zest as well.;f

Mild Bill
12-16-2003, 17:09
The gelatinous lamb shanks, with their meat so close to the joint and the bone, can often put off someone from Lamb...
I love lamb chops grilled or sautéed, then tossed in olive oil, garlic, oregano and lemon...
Rarely a gamey taste there...

Different cuts taste differently...
Also the shoulder roast, dry rubbed with salt, garlic powder, and lots of coarsely cracked black pepper pressed into the meat...
Bake it at 450 for 15 minutes for a sear and a crust, and then 350 for an hour. (4-5 pounder)
Let it rest for 10 minutes and then slice it up...
The rendered peppery, garliky, juices are great...
It's really decadent... No gamey taste there either...

Lemon cuts the fat if you think it needs it...

Supposedly a vinegarry bath (marinade) helps with the gamey thing but I never really tried it...

lethal tupperwa
12-16-2003, 17:40
garlic and rosemary make it better.

Lamb shanks -browned. with carrots and potatoes, garlic onions then cooked slowly in a covered pot till the meat falls of the bone is great.

Mild Bill
12-16-2003, 18:41
Oh yeah, there's Rosemary rubbed into that shoulder roast too...

;c

MarkCO
12-16-2003, 18:48
I wade through 5,000 or more sheep every year elk hunting. The NW corner of Colorado has a TON of lamb production, it does not all come from overseas. In fact that last time I bought lamb in the market, it was all labeled as Colorado grown.

JPB
12-16-2003, 20:40
Few things beat a rack of lamb when it's done right.

Few things worse than nasty lamb.

JOE MACK
12-16-2003, 21:42
Originally posted by MarkCO
I wade through 5,000 or more sheep every year elk hunting. The NW corner of Colorado has a TON of lamb production, it does not all come from overseas. In fact that last time I bought lamb in the market, it was all labeled as Colorado grown.

One I can think of off hand is GOAT. I'd rather eat a sagebrush antelope than goat. Unless one has eaten their sister's 4-H project, they don't know what beef is!;f It's almost like Japanese Kobe beef with the attention that's lavished on it!^7

Oops, should have been on the reply above it. Where's the dern specs?

f1b32oPTic
12-16-2003, 22:21
i love indian curried lamb...

i eat this atleast once a month at the local indian restraunt.

i had lamb today at an ethiopian restraunt and it was great, their coffee is superb as well

fnfalman
12-17-2003, 16:21
Joemack,

I tried some of those Colorado Kobe-style beef!!! That's some good stuff!!!

Oh yeah, lamb curry or lamb saffron Indian-style^c

Zak3056
12-17-2003, 16:44
Originally posted by JOE MACK
Unless one has eaten their sister's 4-H project, they don't know what beef is!;f

Allow me to thank you for what has to be the best quote of the year. ;f

Shoeless
12-17-2003, 18:09
Mmmmm lamb tenderloin is my favorite, followed closely by osso buco (braised lamb shank) and then by rack of lamb.

I used to hate it, but now I love it. I think it's one of those Mediterranean flavors that I am aquiring a taste for, like olives and goat cheese.

I've never had goat, but we certainly have plenty of Latino markets here and I'm sure I could find some. I'd be open to trying it if it's tender.

Shoeless

Penman
12-17-2003, 18:53
I think many people are not sure about how to prepare it, and it doesn't get offered much in restaurants. We're having roast leg of lamb for Chirstmas dinner, seasoned with olive oil, garlic, and Italian herbs, with potatos roasted in the same pan and home made mint jelly as a condiment.

Mild Bill
12-17-2003, 21:54
Originally posted by Shoeless
I've never had goat, but we certainly have plenty of Latino markets here and I'm sure I could find some. I'd be open to trying it if it's tender.
Shoeless

It's great!
Get some from the Latin Market, brown it, then use it like you would beef in beef stew...
Simmer it until the meat surrenders... Thicken the brothy liquid with a medium dark roux...
(Two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of flour cooked till golden brown...)

Onion quarters, Potato quarters, Carrots, Celery, canned or bouillion broth...

The goat meat (Chivo in spanish "cheevo") has a good flavor, not gamey like lamb, at least not when I used it 3 or 4 times...

;c

Shoeless
12-18-2003, 07:58
Originally posted by Penman
I think many people are not sure about how to prepare it, and it doesn't get offered much in restaurants. We're having roast leg of lamb for Chirstmas dinner, seasoned with olive oil, garlic, and Italian herbs, with potatos roasted in the same pan and home made mint jelly as a condiment.

Penman, I was always under the impression that the tradition of serving mint jelly with labm came about because the flavor of the jelly can cover up the gamey taste of mutton or the gamier cuts. Although, maybe the leg is a more gamey cut and would warrant the use of the jelly... hmmm, not sure. I'm not sure I've had LEG of lamb now that I think of it.

Shoeless

Penman
12-18-2003, 10:24
Originally posted by Shoeless
Penman, I was always under the impression that the tradition of serving mint jelly with labm came about because the flavor of the jelly can cover up the gamey taste of mutton or the gamier cuts. Although, maybe the leg is a more gamey cut and would warrant the use of the jelly... hmmm, not sure. I'm not sure I've had LEG of lamb now that I think of it.

Shoeless

Never thought of leg of lamb as gamey, I think it's different, and many people aren't accustomed to it. The British often use a mint infusion that's made with vinegar. I have a friend who spent a lot of time on his grandparent's ranch as a kid, and he did get to eat some strong mutton, so that could very well be a good application for the mint seasoning. I just enjoy the counterpoint of the flavors, just as you'd have chutney with curry. Perhaps we'll get some good lamb recipe in the GT cookbook!

noway
12-18-2003, 10:50
{Perhaps we'll get some good lamb recipe in the GT cookbook!}

well you asked so here is my grilled baby lamb chops

4ea lamb chops ( 2 per person or more is idea since they are small )

crushed garlic cloves
a table spoon of rosemary
kosher salt and pepper totaste
Spanish Olvie oil

Add crush garlic, rosemary and olive oil to perform a light marinade. Cover meat for at least 10-24hrs & refrigerate.

Remove from marinade and let sit for 30mins.A few shakes of salt and a couple trwist of peppercorn.

Heat grill to a very hot temp. Cook meat until done and tender.I love to eat this with capellini (angelhair pasta), topped with Scilian Hot Marinara and Asiago cheese.

Serve with a good red table wine & olives and enjoy!

Another quick but simple method is to use any of the Italian salad dressing as a marinade. Just be advise that any of the vinergrette salad dressing do flame up alot so watch you're heat and check the lamb chops regular.

Contrary to whats said early, "my USDA reports says more sheep/lamb is imported vrs local raised"

The trend for the last 8 years ( since 1995 ) has shown the number of head of sheep raised in the USA to have dropped by bigger number every year. the opposite was true of imported lamb. Austriala, New Zealand, Argentina still hold the most market shares in the number of sheep/lamb harvest and exported.

lcarreau
12-18-2003, 10:58
The SAMs club by me sells shoulder cuts. I roast it in my smoker after a good dry rub of Garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. I use charcoal and mesquite for fuel and it always turns out wonderful.

-Lonnie

Garweh
12-19-2003, 08:20
Grilled Rack of Lamb:

Buy 1 baby rack per person (should weigh ~13 oz. each), french the racks (remove the fat and membrane from the ribs). Marinate the racks in extra virgin olive oil, lots of crushed fresh garlic, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme for 24 to 48 hours (refrigerated). After the racks have marinated, clean off the garlic and herbs and grill over medium high heat for ~15 minutes for medium rare (expect a lot of flareup and charring). I make a port wine sauce, wild mushroom sauce, or bernaise sauce for the lamb. This is the BEST way to prepare rack of lamb ever!

JOE MACK
12-20-2003, 05:24
Originally posted by Garweh
Grilled Rack of Lamb:

Buy 1 baby rack per person (should weigh ~13 oz. each),french the racks (remove the fat and membrane from the ribs). Marinate the racks in extra virgin olive oil, lots of crushed fresh garlic, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme for 24 to 48 hours (refrigerated). After the racks have marinated, clean off the garlic and herbs and grill over medium high heat for ~15 minutes for medium rare (expect a lot of flareup and charring). I make a port wine sauce, wild mushroom sauce, or bernaise sauce for the lamb. This is the BEST way to prepare rack of lamb ever!

I'm glad that was clarified! Although I've seen some racks I'd love to french! Y'know what I mean, Vern?^7 ;3 ^3

noway
12-20-2003, 21:28
I just wish I could afford a rack or lambs.;f

Some store sell full trim racks for like 10.99/per lb and upwards.

Cajun
12-21-2003, 16:20
we buy it for $30 on the hoof and $1.00/lbs to slaughter. Been a while since i've gotten any, but you guys have my taste buds doing flips.

only thing I have noticed about lamb is the leftovers are a tad bit greasy..... it is best when eaten fresh off the grill

ExxoticOne
12-21-2003, 16:54
Originally posted by Hines57
Any ideas on why it hasn't caught on as well as beef, chicken or pork?

I have two theories:

1. Many folks are under the impression that lamb is an "ethnic" food so they don't know what to do with it other than make a Greek or Indian dish.

2. Lamb has not been touted as "the other white meat" or compared to other low-fat meats, like chicken. The most popular diet that even makes mention of lamb is the Atkins diet...then othes gently followed suit...the Mediterranean diet, Southbeach, etc.

Personally, I love lamb...especially grilled...with a potent glass off red wine.

I also love antelope and ostrich.

noway
12-22-2003, 07:29
{Many folks are under the impression that lamb is an "ethnic" food so they don't know what to do with it other than make a Greek or Indian dish.}

Would you be surprise that lamb/sheep is one of the earliest known animals being consumed by mankind. More lamb & sheep is consumed in the Middle Eastern countries then anywhere else and if you are religious, the bible has more entries on lamb then anything other 4 legged animals to include beef, which cattle for our part of the world ( americas ) is really new and brought over by most europeans you immigrated this way.

P.S> Goats are also being on records as being eaten alot earlier than lambs & sheeps. Since their nature design allows them to roam more freely with less human care and they can eat the weed and grass on mountain terrain side and pretry survive some of the harshes area.