TT at time of first flying gig... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TT at time of first flying gig...

C150J
12-16-2003, 18:23
Hey guys,

Just wondering what your total times were when you were hired for your first gig, or what you're seeing your operation hire at currently. Are some of the regionals REALLY hiring people with considerably lower times if they were a graduate of certain flight schools, or is that all hype?

I'm mainly interested in your total time and multi columns.

Thanks guys!
J.

sopdan
12-16-2003, 19:00
Originally posted by C150J
Are some of the regionals REALLY hiring people with considerably lower times if they were a graduate of certain flight schools, or is that all hype?

Though I don't know for sure, I do know that it worked that way before 9/11, but not so much anymore.

I do know, however, that some regionals are hiring their interns with much less time. For example, I know that Chicago Express hired one of their interns as a Saab 340 FO with TT in the 300-400 range who was a CFI but hadn't even found a job teaching yet when they called him up. Airnet also hired interns with very little time, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Needless to say, when the time comes, I will be looking at getting an internship at a good company... whatever that may be. :)

Medpilot 2
12-16-2003, 20:53
I say hype.

You gain quite a few hours between school and the time you get your first flying gig. Most places concentrate on your last 6 months to a year of flying.

Edit: when you say first flying gig, I'm assuming you mean a part 135/121 operator. I had just over 1200 hours when I started flying checks for Flight Express (just enough to meet the minimums).:)

sf340flyer
12-17-2003, 07:09
I had about 350TT and 15ME when I started as a CFI in 1992. In 1995 when I started out at a regional I had 3000TT & 500 ME. In the late 90's the average time for most new hires at my regional was about 1000TT & 100ME, but post 911 those airlines that are actually hiring can be pretty choosy with so many qualafied pilots on the street, so you can guess it's quite a bit more than 1000/100.

M2 Carbine
12-17-2003, 10:48
I had about a thousand hours total, fixed wing and helicopters.
In 1966 I hired on at Southern Airways of Texas, instructing Army helicopter students at Fort Wolters TX.
Normally no one will talk to you with less than a thousand hours helicopter time. I only had about 500.

The war was really building up and the Army need chopper pilots bad.
So since,
I had just been through the Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilot course in 64/65.
Finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the class.(never did find out which)
Southern must have already checked my records because they told me I did good in school and they hired me over the phone.:)

$650 a month.;Q

Semper Glock
12-17-2003, 14:46
I was fortunate. I had about 500tt and got hired at a 135 freight outfit as a Bandit first officer.

I flew my ass off and gained a huge amount of experience flying around the Great Lakes in the winter. It scared the hell out me more than once, but the lessons learned are still remembered today. Honestly, I'm starting to miss that kind of flying because it keeps you sharp. All of the fancy-shmansy automation I have now is dumbing me down as a pilot. The really sad part is that I made more money then than I do now as a regional pilot.

Happy 100 years!!:)