when back packing what do you carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : when back packing what do you carry

Mud
12-19-2003, 12:00
other than the obvious stuff what things do you carry to make the trip more enjoyable

what type of fire arms do you carry? and what is thier purpose.

im trying to decide if when i go back packing i should carry my smith 29, or go buy a glock 20, or carry my 45-70 or 12 ga.

95% of my packing is in MI some bears, coyotes and plunty of 2 legged preditors but i WILL go to montana or colorado to hike in the future

ill prolly add a small .22 to my pack for plinking or pot meat

thanx

JIM

Cam Cooke
12-19-2003, 13:25
I live in British Columbia, Canada and carry a Glock 20 or a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 45 Colt. The only purpose for these handguns and the reason I am able to get a permit to carry a handgun here in Canada is for protection of life against wild animals. (One of the very few ways that this anti-gun government will issue anyone here a handgun carry permit) I also carry a 22" T/C Contender Carbine in 45-70 430gr Laser Cast bullets. If noise is not a problem, you could just down load the Glock (200gr 850<->900fps works very well) or S&W 29 and do very little damage to grouse or rabbits. Save you from having to carry a 22 as well.

Mud
12-19-2003, 21:42
only one guy backpacks onhere?

repete34
12-19-2003, 22:07
3in. ported "Lew Horton" mod 629 with meprolite night sites and 240gr. Noslers. Will kill anything in North America. It is one of my favorite guns.

WFR
12-19-2003, 22:55
Most of the time a G29.
Just bought a 3" 629 though so may pack it in bear country (see above post).
When backpacking in an area where bears are not a problem I carry my G27.
I always carry a Primus or MSR stove and a 1 liter kettle so I can have hot tea, coffee or food whenever I like.
Cliff Bars are a must. EXTRA WATER always makes a trip more enjoyable.
Baby wipes in a resealable ziploc are always there.
Leki trekking poles.
I need to get out more. Thanks for reminding me!

Mud
12-19-2003, 23:08
i always bring playing cards just incase
and lots of extra socks

i have even been known to pack in a FULL size axe to make wood gathering a lil easier

my 629 seems so heavy but i guess like the saying goes Carrying a gun is supposto be comforting not Comfortable

Tombstone
12-24-2003, 15:12
My 454 raging bull with a 5" barrel or my G20 but I sure like having my 45-70 nearby when possible.

Tommy Gun
12-25-2003, 18:02
I use my S&W 586, 6", .357 mag loaded with 125 grn. hollow points. I also carry 2 speed loaders, one with snake shot and another with a "heavy load" (I forgot the exact specifications, 165 grn hollow point I think.). This gives me enough versatility to deal with most situations one may encounter in a "hiking" scenario here in the North East.

I use a shoulder holster or it rides in a belt holster.

Sometimes I carry my g19 or my g21. They are carried in a belt holster or in a "Wildernes" pack.

Captain Caveman
12-25-2003, 18:12
Currenty I use a S&W 686 4" ported w/158gr American Eagle JSP's. Next year I hope to change to a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt w/COR-BON 300gr JSP's.

FastDraw McGraw
12-30-2003, 15:06
Originally posted by WFR
Most of the time a G29.
Just bought a 3" 629 though so may pack it in bear country (see above post).
When backpacking in an area where bears are not a problem I carry my G27.
I always carry a Primus or MSR stove and a 1 liter kettle so I can have hot tea, coffee or food whenever I like.
Cliff Bars are a must. EXTRA WATER always makes a trip more enjoyable.
Baby wipes in a resealable ziploc are always there.
Leki trekking poles.
I need to get out more. Thanks for reminding me!

I don't own a .44 Mag but it would be my first choice (handgun wise) for bear country

Sixgun_Symphony
12-30-2003, 15:33
It depends on what kind of critters you might run into.

Blackbear? Any handgun chambered in .357 Magnum or .45acp will do fine. Brown bear? Well now, that is a whole 'nother animal. Get yourself a 12ga pump-action shotgun with slugs AND a full size .44 Magnum revolver loaded with the heavy Keith loads.

No bears? Hunting small game? Then a long barreled .22 pistol will put meat in the pot. Be sure to look around for any .32-20 revolvers. The .32-20 is great on small game and hits harder than any of the .22 rimfires for bigger animals like coyotes, wild dogs, and bad guys. Many of the old Colt Police Positive Special were chambered in .32-20, I recommend a 6" barrel. The Police Positive Special is a light, trim, medium-small revolver. They were designed for policemen who had to walk all day. They're so easy to carry that you forget it is there!

No bears? No hunting? Is it just the bad people and coyotes you're worried about? Then get a compact 9mm Glock, a 9mm Kahr, or .38 snubbie revolver if you must conceal. Those S&W Airlight revolvers would be ideal. Look for the lightweight Colt Agent snubbies on the used gun market if you prefer Colt revolvers to the S&W line.

Me? I usually wear a brace of 1860 .44 percussion revolvers. Sometimes I will wear my .54 caliber smoothbore flintlock and a green river knife on my belt. The flintlock pistol is usually loaded with #6 lead shot, sometimes a buck & ball load. yea, it is archaic. But trust me, you don't want to stand in front of it. ;f

skfullgun
12-30-2003, 22:56
I normally carry a snubby .38, a G26, or a G30, depending upon my exact location, weather, etc. I've been know to carry a Ruger Single Six with .22 mag loads. The largest animal I have to worry about is a bobcat or coyote. I worry more about the two-legged predators.

Poohgyrr
12-31-2003, 00:20
I don't hike/camp where black bears are anymore, and if bigger bears were around I'd carry a big bore Lever rifle (loaded with something from Bufflo Bore or similiar) or slug loaded 12ga.

That said, my biggest worries are rabid critters, occasional mountain lions, and thugs. So I'm usually comfortable with a Smith .357/.44 Special, a Hi Power, or a Glock. Concealment prevents a lot of misunderstandings with decent people. If a thug needs to know I'm packing, I'd prefer to choose when & how he finds out. Best. ;Y

EDITED: I almost forgot, some places may have legal requirements about concealed vs open carry. It's probably a good idea to check.

RetNarc
01-01-2004, 17:32
I wouldn't think of going into the wilderness without my S&W 629. I do quite a bit of fair weather backpacking/hiking and high mountain lake fishing. I live a short driving distance from the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness and there are a few Grizzlies up there as well as many black bears, mountain lions, etc.

madhatta
01-07-2004, 11:59
Most of my life I had kept hunting separate from backpacking. So, I am now in the process myself of deciding what firearm to take while backpacking.
I have carried a Ruger Blackhawk, in .357, as well as .41mag.
I recently came across a 3-screw blackhawk in .45 colt, that had been reblued to a somewhat dull matte finish. I am strongly considering carrying that some.
The only other handgun that interests me for hiking is a S&W 610, in 10mm.
If I was going to backpack into a place and camp for a few days I would probably try and carry in a Marlin lever action, possibly in .35

regards

MCNETT
01-07-2004, 22:09
G20 w/ a couple of pre-bans of DoubleTap 200gr. FMJ @ 1270fps.
-Mike

Cowboy Kyle
01-10-2004, 00:39
I carry my G20 with 180gr. bcsp Corbon , only untill i can get my hands on some of that D.T. ammo!;f . I also carry 2 spare mags.
I live in C.A. , so any time i have the chance (legally) i carry it.

Biscuitsjam
01-11-2004, 13:10
Anyone care to mention HOW they carry while backpacking? A hipbelt kind of precludes any IWB, OWB, or pocket options. Ankle holster? Shoulder? In one of the backpack pockets?

-Biscuits

repete34
01-11-2004, 18:53
Normally in the backpack pocket, I can still reach it. Not as fast as for IDPA shooting but I can get it. You can also have a holster made for your weapon of choice, Kramer or Blade tech will make you whatever you want. To me it is what are you going to be comfortable with, and what you carry will make a big differance in choice of loctions to carry it. Be safe

ECVMatt
01-12-2004, 09:36
I have gotten away from carrying my big revolvers as they are just to awkward to carry and use. It is just too much to bring a sturdy holster and belt to carry them. With my glocks I throw a fobus paddle holster in my pack and then I can carry my gun while fishing or exploring around camp. This also allows me to carry my gun while wearing trunks or other shorts that have no belt loops. I got an accessory pouch at REI that clips on to my hip belt and gives me a quick way to get to my gun with my pack on. Their is one spot on the western slope of the sierras that has a very bad bear problem and I usually take a .44 or .30/30 rifle. I bought a mount from cabelas the attaches to the frame of my pack. I is very sucure, but gives you good access to your rifle.

Matt

CarolsJohn
01-13-2004, 02:15
Cam Cooke:

Would be interested in how you managed a carry permit. Here, there are various critters, ie wolves, wolverines, bears. Be nice if I could have a little edge in my favour.

John :)
Yellowknife, NT

Cam Cooke
01-13-2004, 09:20
Jonh if you are a self employed free miner(prospector/geologist)in Canada, you can apply for a handgun carry permit for remote wilderness areas of your province or territory. I understand that you can do this as well if you are a hunting guide or trapper.
Good luck
Cam