Need help adjusting to high-altitude baking [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting to high-altitude baking

Patricia
12-20-2003, 17:51
My cookies are coming out flat! ;P Help!

allanc
12-20-2003, 18:08
I don't know what kind of cookies you are baking but if the recipe has baking powder, reduce the amount by about 25%. You also need to increase the liquid content by adding 2 to 3 tablespoons more liquid (or even water).

Good luck...;f

Patricia
12-20-2003, 18:53
Thanks Allan! That will be helpful. :)

ExxoticOne
12-20-2003, 19:52
For every cup of sugar your original recipe calls for, decrease it by 1-3 tablespoons. (I'd take 1.5 tbls. out per cup.) Whatcha baking me?:) I have no problem eating your "deformed" cookies!

Patricia
12-21-2003, 11:46
Let's see, I have to cut everything back this year, including my baking, so I asked everyone to pick their favorites. I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookes, Christmas tree cookies(basically a butter cookie recipe put through a press) and fudge. I'm also making my fudge truffle cheesecake for Christmas Eve. I will use the adjustments mentioned, but fortunately, the people I'm baking for care less about appearance and much more about flavor. I hope some of the cookies last until Christmas Eve for Santa. ;f

What about you Exxotic? I bet you bake up a storm. :)

ExxoticOne
12-21-2003, 12:56
Originally posted by Sidearmor
What about you Exxotic? I bet you bake up a storm. :)

I've got some batches going right now....I make all the chocolaty-gooey-nutty-caramely cookies and bars in huge batches (I have 2 ovens and 1 convection oven thankfully) for the kids in the neighborhood, the neighbors, my husband's patients, as small gifts, etc...

I make the soft and chewy chocolate and rapsberry cheesecake bars for the nursing home I occassionaly volunteer at...

I give the "high-end" stuff (Chambord and Baily's cupcakes) to the animal shelter for them to sell at their holiday fundraiser...

and I make all top-secret German recipes (from my great grandfather on my dad's side) for myself for personal consumption!

I am seriously guestimating that in the past week...I've consumed about 3 lbs of flour and 5lbs of sugar. My husband walked into the kitchen this morning as he wanted to know why the Oompah Lumpahs weren't here helping me.

allanc
12-21-2003, 13:41
Patricia, you never asked me what my favorite was! ;f

All I'm baking is a peach cobbler this year.

lethal tupperwa
12-21-2003, 16:27
when adjusting for high altitude you increase the flour.

For their recipe for vanishing oatmeal raisin cookies (on the box)

flour goes from 1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups.

most cookbooks should have some information.