Deer blind question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer blind question

allhowl
12-20-2003, 20:54
I have a popup deer blind that I've used a few times but have never seen anything out of it yet. My question is does it need to be up against the trees or could it just be on the edge of a wheatfield? I was wondering if it might frighten the deer or that they would be suspicious of seeing it there when it wasn't there before.

I'm bowhunting so I need to be close-within about 40 yds or less before I can take a shot. Also I use the ghillie suit and was wondering if maybe I should just make a mat & lay down in the high grass & be less noticed-although very uncomfortable for a couple hrs.

What are your thoughts & opinions?

TScottW99
12-20-2003, 21:29
I find that the deer are more observent of a new blind then say a turkey or bear. When using my blind to deer hunt I try to place it so that it has trees behind it and brush or scrub in front of it to help break the outline. I carry a small pair of brush cutters and cut my shooting lanes and also cut limbs to push into the ground to help break up the outline.

Now for turkey, as long as the blind is camo'd they don't mind a bit.

onemilmhz
12-21-2003, 02:04
Deer tend to get familiar with the areas they frequent. If they were in that spot the other day and didn't see your blind you can bet they will take notice of it being their the next time. TScottW99 gives some good advice. Try to break up the outline as much as possible and match the colors with natural camo as best you can. Also, if it's brand new you may want to think about leaving it set up out side for a few days. Mine had a scent to it when I first got it. Kind of like that new car smell. It smelled new and plastic-ish if you know what I mean. After a few uses it went away but if I could smell it you better believe a deer could!

TJC
12-21-2003, 06:48
In addition to the above advice, if you are hunting private land and feel comfortable about it set the blind up a week or two before the season starts. Leave it there. The deer will become familiar with the blind being there and won't mind it after a while.

allhowl
12-21-2003, 08:18
The land is public and is a big wheatfield. No trees close to edge but some knee high grass around it. Wish I could leave it out there but it would get stolen for sure. Going out this afternoon and see what I can set up where I anticipate the deer will head, maybe I can find the trail they use getting to the field & set up there. Thanks for help.

blackopsglock
12-21-2003, 14:05
I have had deer come right up to my pop up blind before.Turkey too.

What works really good is to use a decoy in conjunction with your blind.Place the decoy out away from your blind so it is not in line of site of the blind.

Deer focus will be on the decoy and not the blind.

MyT-FastDog
12-23-2003, 10:22
If it were not public land I would say dig a pit blind, but...

I would try to get to where the deer are entering the field, hopefully you could find more cover there. I have not hunted from a pop-up blind but the way you are describing your spot I would be surprised to see anything but a yearling out in the open like that.

Background cover is key with something in front just as a breakup.