Sauces... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sauces...

ExxoticOne
12-22-2003, 22:16
Anyone else here enjoy the really good fattening stuff? Like Hollandaise, Bernaise, Raspeberry Beurre Blanc, etc?

I tend to indulge heavily around the holidays.

hwyhobo
12-22-2003, 23:46
I used to love eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce. Have you ever tried adding lobster on the side to eggs benedict? Goes great with the sauce. Mmmmm....

Oh, oh, and a small cup of tomato bisque first.

:)

hispeedlodrag
12-23-2003, 01:03
Mmmm, hollandaise. The blender version (blasphemy, I know to you classic sous chefs/sauciers), is soooo simple/quick.

Glockerel
12-23-2003, 05:23
Hollandaise-
I could eat a corndog with hollandaise...even the name sounds beautiful.

Esteban
12-23-2003, 05:31
Have you realized that you donít really like the foods you put the sauce on?
You just like the taste of the sauce, but you would really look funny just having sauce.
So you have to put it on something so you donít look weird.

ExxoticOne
12-23-2003, 08:07
Originally posted by Esteban

Sort of...I find myself looking for things to eat that would taste good with a particular sauce...like, prime rib would be excellent with horseradish sauce, marshmellows would be yummy with chocolate sauce, etc.

MrsKitty
12-23-2003, 08:27
I like turkey but so look forward to the turkey gravy my one aunt makes.

You all are going to laugh at this one, but I am a frozen Banquet Salisbury Steak gravy junkie;f

I enjoy the finer foods, but equally love the simple things;)

Patricia
12-23-2003, 09:29
Originally posted by Esteban
You just like the taste of the sauce, but you would really look funny just having sauce.
So you have to put it on something so you donít look weird.

Not in the case of my jalepeno bernaise sauce. Our favorite restaurant serves it over the most tender delicious tenderloins you would ever want to sink your teeth in. I have since duplicated the recipe and make it whenever we have some quality steaks.

The best sauces should enhance not cover up the flavors of what you are putting them on. :)

ExxoticOne
12-23-2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Sidearmor
I have since duplicated the recipe and make it whenever we have some quality steaks.

[Phil Rizzuto voice] HOLY COW!!! THAT SOUNDS DEEEE-LISH!!! Whenever you have some free time I would love to have that recipe....PULEEAAASE!!!!:)

pesticidal
12-23-2003, 10:54
I like putting Hollandaise on hub caps. There's no plates like chrome for the Hollandaise...

;Q ;g ;e

Cali-Glock
12-23-2003, 13:41
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
[Phil Rizzuto voice] HOLY COW!!! THAT SOUNDS DEEEE-LISH!!! Whenever you have some free time I would love to have that recipe....PULEEAAASE!!!!:) ;P ^7 Yes please post it!

ExxoticOne
12-23-2003, 16:53
Originally posted by pesticidal
I like putting Hollandaise on hub caps. There's no plates like chrome for the Hollandaise...

;Q ;g ;e

That was sooo bad;)

pesticidal
12-23-2003, 17:13
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
That was sooo bad;)

Yeah, I know. But I bet you'll repeat it within the week...;)

Mild Bill
12-23-2003, 18:24
When I go to the Village Inn Pancake house here in Tampa or the IHOP, I always ask for a side of Hollandaise
to go with the crispy brown Hash Browns...
It puts the browns way over the top!

Sauce is the boss!
(I just wrote that)

;c

Patricia
12-24-2003, 08:56
Jalapeno Bernaise

It is so simple it's scary but it is darn good. Now, you can make the bernaise from scratch, but I use one of the powdered mixes. Knorr makes a really good one. Make sure you make it with butter, not margarine, and either whole milk or 2%. Add jalapenos and let it simmer for a while.

A note on the jalapenos. I used to use fresh but started using the canned ones for a couple of reasons. First, (and most importantly for me) I found out the hard way that when you chop them, even if you wash your hands many times, you will get a nasty surprise later on if you rub your eyes, even after many washings (especially painful for us contact lens wearers ;P). Second, it is hard to find a consistent level of heat in store bought jalapenos (we like our sauce hot!) Sometimes they are just too mild. Since I always double the recipe, (this sauce is also awesome left over on eggs the next day) I use two packet mix recipes and throw in one whole can of jalapenoes (the small one, I think it is about 4 oz).

By the way, if anyone here is ever in Mesa, AZ, do yourself a favor and stop by the Blue Adobe Grill. That is where I got the idea for this sauce. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is incredible. Email me for menu recommendations. ;f

Shoeless
12-24-2003, 10:31
I'm scared to admit it, but I don't really like Hollandaise sauce. Bernaise is a bit better because of the addition of tarragon, but neither one really floats my boat.

Give me a lemon buerre blanc or a brown butter & sage sauce any day of the week, though... mmmmmmm boy that's good.

Shoeless