Best Air Museum? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Air Museum?

Texas T
12-24-2003, 07:46
Obviously, the Smithsonian; but for your everyday, average, local type place Pima County gets my vote with Castle coming in second.

As a kid going to Kindergarten on base, we would sometimes have to stop and wait as they were towing another plane from the airfield over to the salvage/storage yards at Davis-Monthan so Pima County also gets the sentimental vote from me. :)

T

Bushflyr
12-24-2003, 08:13
Obviously, the Smithsonian

Not even close. The Air Force museum at Wright-Patterson AFB blows it away. XB-70, FDR's AF-1, AC-130, Twin Mustang, the list is endless.

Neal
12-24-2003, 08:35
Originally posted by Bushflyr
Not even close. The Air Force museum at Wright-Patterson AFB blows it away. XB-70, FDR's AF-1, AC-130, Twin Mustang, the list is endless.

I have been to both and must agree, Wright-Patterson is number 1. The Smithsonian does have some very significant historical pieces, like the Wright Flyer, the Spirit of St, Louis, the Glamorous Glennis, etc., but overall, Wright Patterson tops them all.

Superfueler
12-24-2003, 10:28
I've been to the AF museum, but it was so long ago that I don't remember much. From the looks of it, the new Udvar-Hazy center at IAD looks to be awesome, I'm a big civil aviaiton fan, and the Dash-80, Concorde, and the Boeing 307 are all in the same place, which would be awesome to see. I am already planning my trip down there.

As far as local museums go, I vote for the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT. They have a Sikorsky Flying boat, a B-29, and a bunch of other stuff, including a Caravelle. Here is a link:

www.neam.org

aircarver
12-24-2003, 10:50
While you're mentioning 'biggest & best' ones.... The Naval Air museum at Pensacola FL is a must see too ! :)

mhambi
12-24-2003, 10:55
http://www.hill.af.mil/museum/

I like it 'cause it's local and I can acutally go there. :)

TheGrinch
12-24-2003, 11:23
Cool thing about the Naval Aviation Museum is that only a few ragwing airplanes are roped off. The rest can be touched, and they have volunteers dressed up in period clothes on occasion, interacting with the patrons. A "mechanic" asked my son to hand him a wrench while he "worked" on an SNJ.

Grinch

Fraser
12-24-2003, 13:13
Wright Patterson first, then the Imperial War Museum - Duxford second.

W. Bell
12-24-2003, 21:15
Fraser, I agree.

Texas T
12-24-2003, 21:38
I've never been to W.P. but now it is obvious that I have to put it on my see-before-dying list. :)

T

mbsigman
12-24-2003, 21:55
Bar none, Wright-Pat is the place to go if you only have time to see one museum. I spent three whole daze in that place and reckon I've seen about half of it. Fantastic place.

Mike

ScubaSven
12-25-2003, 14:44
Originally posted by Neal
I have been to both and must agree, Wright-Patterson is number 1. The Smithsonian does have some very significant historical pieces, like the Wright Flyer, the Spirit of St, Louis, the Glamorous Glennis, etc., but overall, Wright Patterson tops them all.

Been to both, as well. I think I prefer Smithsonian.

The Strategic Air Command Museum opened a couple years ago outside of Omaha, Neb. and I found it very enjoyable (of course, I grew up on SAC bases, so there was personal nostalgia). Beautiful SR-71 hanging in the main-entrance glass atrium.

Texas T
12-25-2003, 18:15
Originally posted by ScubaSven
I grew up on SAC bases, so there was personal nostalgia Me too, but unlike most of my fellow AF brats I was only on 3 bases in 15 years... Davis-Monthan, Andersen, Westover, and back to Andersen.

T

ScubaSven
12-25-2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Texas T
Me too, but unlike most of my fellow AF brats I was only on 3 bases in 15 years... Davis-Monthan, Andersen, Westover, and back to Andersen.

I was in the group of "most of your fellow AF brats" as I moved every 18 months-2 years. I've lived on TAC and other bases, but as for my SAC base experience, I've lived on Offutt AFB, Beale AFB, March AFB, Plattsburg AFB, and Pease AFB.

If you ever drive through Nebraska, you won't see a better display of an SR-71 than the one at the SAC Museum. :)

Satch
12-25-2003, 20:32
The Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon has the Spruce Goose with a bunch of WW II aircraft. The Goose is very interesting to see. http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/sprucegoose/

Slingshot
12-25-2003, 20:39
Went to W-P this fall. Great museum took two whole days to get thru it and cost is zero except for the Imax movies. Also has the actual Presidents planes.
Would like to go to the Smithsonian but heard liberal history re-writers run it and slant history to blame America first including the Enola Gay B-29 exhibit.

engineer151515
12-25-2003, 20:40
I've seen the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and Pensacola NAS museum. I've been to the Air Force Armaments Museum (Eglin (sp?)AFB, near Crestview, FL). Even been to the Army's Quartermaster Museum (Fort Lee, VA) which had pieces from the B24 "Lady Be Good" bomber. Mix in a dozen Blue Angle and Thunderbird airshows over 40 years. I can't remember regretting any trip. The Pensacola Museum was excellent. You may even find retired WWII pilots walking around the museum who will tell you how they flew those birds. One of them showed me how they use to start the engines on the F4F Wildcats with a small - shotgun case cartridge charge. No starter on that plane...

Bullman
12-26-2003, 01:25
You know, it won't even begin to compare with something like Wright Patterson, or the Smithsonian, but for a really great local museum, I have one right in my own back yard. Here in Weatherford, OK. The hometown of Lt. General Thomas P Stafford. He put a lot of time and money into the museum that is at the airport here in town (it is named after him after all). We have a full size replica of the Wright flyer, the Spirit of St. Louis, several jets including a Mig 21, and an F16. Of course there are tons of space race exhibits too. And to top it all off, it may still be FREE to go through this museum, but they were talking about an entrance fee here not to long ago. But... if you travels ever take you down I-40, and you happen to pass by Weatherford, OK, you should stop in and have a look.

Texas T
12-26-2003, 18:19
Originally posted by engineer151515
One of them showed me how they use to start the engines on the F4F Wildcats with a small - shotgun case cartridge charge. No starter on that plane... This was demonstrated in the mid-60's movie Flight Of The Phoenix starring (among others) Jimmy Stewart. This was a great movie and was just released on DVD earlier this year.

T

ScubaSven
12-28-2003, 02:24
Originally posted by engineer151515
One of them showed me how they use to start the engines on the F4F Wildcats with a small - shotgun case cartridge charge. No starter on that plane...

I once saw a nighttime start of an SR-71 with the Buick V-8's. It was a loud and visual experience I will never forget.

Buick Starter (http://www.hill.af.mil/museum/photos/coldwar/ag330.htm)

ateamer
12-29-2003, 02:32
Castle is a great museum. A lot of planes, including an RB-36, HH-43, B-57 and some other not-so-common aircraft. The 11,000 foot runway is fun, too. Glad they have those 500' overruns, not much pavement there to land a 172 and stop in time.;e

Laps
01-05-2004, 14:43
Wright-Patterson #1. I'll never go back to the Smithsonian because D.C. is not worth driving through much less stopping in.

Menehune
01-05-2004, 14:54
Wright Patt is a great museum, haven't been to DC yet, but should within the year.

Here in middle GA, we have the Robins Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB.

Some of the bigger exhibits include a B-29, SR-71, B-52. Lots of smaller aircraft, some waiting to be worked on, some sitting out behind the museum on display.

http://www.museumofaviation.org/home.htm

Not really an air museum, but the Apallo display at Kennedy is awesome!

Krueshoot
01-08-2004, 15:18
Pima Air and Space Museum near Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ. has to be right up there. Condition of some of the planes (faded paint) may not be the best but the variety is awesome. SR71 Blackbird, B58, a couple of B52's including I believe Balls Three used as the mothership in many X15 launchs. Century series of fighters, F4 Phantoms. all in all over 200 aircraft on display.

Texas T
01-08-2004, 20:49
Originally posted by Krueshoot
Pima Air and Space Museum near Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ. has to be right up there. Condition of some of the planes (faded paint) may not be the best but the variety is awesome. SR71 Blackbird, B58, a couple of B52's including I believe Balls Three used as the mothership in many X15 launchs. Century series of fighters, F4 Phantoms. all in all over 200 aircraft on display. Yep, I mentioned that in my first post in this thread. One of the guys in my car club (Rod Benders Of Tucson) worked at Pima so we got some behind-the-scenes looks at various things. My dad flew in KC-97's, B-29's, and B-52's, so those hold a special place in my heart when I go to visit.

Pima is also where they filmed the shots of Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones having the "cancer" conversation under the wing of the SR-71 in the movie Space Cowboys.

T

Tucsonstan
01-16-2004, 05:24
Satch-I was one of the first people to tear down the "Goose" when I worked for Evergreen here in Tucson. What a plane! The wood inside looked just like it was built yesterday. And we learned that Hughes invented his own glue for a lot of the wood that had to be glued together. I was part of a six man crew that took the props and engines off. It took one week for all eight. Then another crew replaced us and took the tail off and then both wings. We had a lot of news reporters watching us and filming us for future use.;a

vafish
01-16-2004, 05:33
Just an FYI for all of you Glockers that try to avoid DC.

The new Udvar-Hazy extension of the Air and Space museum is not in DC. It's in Virginia, at Dulles Airport, about 25 miles west of DC. All of 5 or 6 miles from my house and I still haven't been to see it yet.

rotorblade
01-18-2004, 19:39
Its a heli museum but what about US Army Aviation Museum Fort Rucker Alabama.

They have apparently just got done cleaning up after a flood.

Just a thought.

jgamble
01-20-2004, 20:01
I really enjoyed the Pima Air Museum. I've been to the Air Space Museum, but when I was a kid - this was the first big air museum I'd been to as an adult and I had a great time.