Kitchenaid mixer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchenaid mixer

Zak3056
12-24-2003, 17:47
Just got handed my christmas present and it turned out to be a 6qt Kitchenaid Professional stand mixer. I'm pretty darn happy! ;f

allanc
12-24-2003, 17:53
You should be happy, that is a nice piece of kitchen equipment. :)

ExxoticOne
12-24-2003, 17:58
That is an EXCELLENT mixer. Ganache, brioche, home-made sausage....now..."you've arrived":)

What color is yours?

colorado23
12-24-2003, 18:45
I want one of those in that dull gray color but I have no where to put it. Maybe I should just get a meat grinder, I mostly want the meat grinder for sausage and rare hamburgers. Homemade bread is great too though...

ExxoticOne
12-24-2003, 18:50
The meat grinding attachment or "dye" I think it's called is excellent....especially when my friends drop off venison...I can make excellent sausage with that. Mine was built into the countertop...so it "flips" down when not in use so the countertops stay "uncluttered" (big peeve of mine).

Zak3056
12-25-2003, 09:44
Originally posted by ExxoticOne
What color is yours?

Mine is white--it was the only color they had when they found them at a decent price. They knew I wanted cobalt blue, but they suggested I enjoy it anyway. I plan to. ;f

Oh, they also got me the food grinder attachment that you're so fond of. :cool:

hispeedlodrag
12-25-2003, 10:26
I use mine quite frequently. One of my favorite uses for the grinder is for "white" yucutan sausage.
Equal parts of chicken and pork butt, salt, pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno to taste. Grind it once with the big plate, and once with the small one. I usually freeze it in patties, but if you have the sausage stuffer, you can put it in links.

MrsKitty
12-25-2003, 15:42
Originally posted by hispeedlodrag
I use mine quite frequently. One of my favorite uses for the grinder is for "white" yucutan sausage.
Equal parts of chicken and pork butt, salt, pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno to taste. Grind it once with the big plate, and once with the small one. I usually freeze it in patties, but if you have the sausage stuffer, you can put it in links.

Mmmm....that sounds really good;P

Might just have to try that. Thanks!

KitchenAid mixers are so nice. You will wonder how you got along without it for so long;)

Zak3056
12-25-2003, 16:00
Originally posted by misskitty5077
KitchenAid mixers are so nice. You will wonder how you got along without it for so long;)

I'm ashamed to say I've had it for 24 straight hours and haven't used it yet! ;P ;g

I'm waiting until we get into the new house before I unpack and start using it. I admit, it's killing me, but my kitchen is a disaster area unfit for cooking. Christmas dinner was a stretch. ;f

hispeedlodrag
12-25-2003, 16:17
quote:
Originally posted by hispeedlodrag

I forgot about the garlic.

:)

MrsKitty
12-25-2003, 17:22
Ahh....garlic.

Can't forget that;f

Shoeless
12-25-2003, 17:49
OH MY GOD look at all the colors!!!

http://kitchenaid.suresource.com/itemdetail-netcache.asp?uid=2003122518435033&isstand=Y&Item=KSM150PSSF&edp=25407&itemcat=KSM150PSCCZZ

(doubtful that link will work) but man, oh man, I'd be hard pressed to decide! I like the ice blue one, but that orange one is also awesome... then there are the Artisan colors AND Custom METALLICS!!

Lawsy Mercy a girl could go insane trying to pick!

Shoeless, drooling over the copper one

Zak3056
12-25-2003, 18:08
Originally posted by Shoeless
OH MY GOD look at all the colors!!!

Kitchenaid also color matches all of their appliances. Buy a "Cobalt Blue" toaster, and ten years later buy a cobalt blue mixer, and they'll match. ;f

Okay, so here's my dilema: What's the first thing I should make with this? I was thinking chocolate cake, but I can do that easily enough with my whisk. Maybe cookies, where I can give that big motor a chance to shine? Some big fluffy desert loaded with beaten egg whites? Some nice italian bread?

I'm currently leaning toward cookies. ;f

hispeedlodrag
12-25-2003, 18:40
I love this bread!

1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1/3 cup warm water

1 cup bread flour

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 tablespoons warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

2/3 cup warm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

To Make Sponge: In a small bowl stir together 1/8 teaspoon of the yeast and the warm water and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In a bowl stir together yeast mixture, 1/3 cup of the water, and 1cup of the bread flour. Stir 4 minutes, then over bowl with plastic wrap. Let sponge stand at cool room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.

To Make Bread: In a small bowl stir together yeast and milk and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with dough hook blend together milk mixture, sponge, water, oil, and flour at low speed until flour is just moistened; add salt and mix until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Scrape dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough will be sticky and full of air bubbles.) Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and cut in half. Transfer each half to a parchment sheet and form into an irregular oval about 9 inches long. Dimple loaves with floured fingers and dust tops with flour. Cover loaves with a dampened kitchen towel. Let loaves rise at room temperature until almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

At least 45 minutes before baking ciabatta, put a baking stone on oven rack in lowest position in oven and preheat oven to 425 F (220 degrees C).

Bake ciabatta loaves 20 minutes, or until pale golden. Cool loaves on a wire rack.

Shoeless
12-26-2003, 11:11
Originally posted by Zak3056
Okay, so here's my dilema: What's the first thing I should make with this? I was thinking chocolate cake, but I can do that easily enough with my whisk. Maybe cookies, where I can give that big motor a chance to shine? Some big fluffy desert loaded with beaten egg whites? Some nice italian bread?

I'm currently leaning toward cookies. ;f

BREAD, BABY! Did it come with a dough hook? Nothing like seeing that big ol' ball of dough coming together in a bowl. Yes, I'm a dork. ;f

Shoeless

Eddie C.
12-26-2003, 16:50
My wife and I got one for a Christmas present about 15 or 20 years ago. It was one of the first ones I saw. I thought "big deal;Q " another thing that won't be used. Well let me tell you, we still call it the best gift we ever got. I used to hate mixing mixes like the Toll House cookies that were very thick and hard to do. This machine makes short work of it.;f ;f ;f

crawfish
12-27-2003, 03:28
MY wife and I got one as a wedding gift 38 years ago. It also had a life time repair or replace extended warrenty with it. September of this year we were sent a brand new white Pro model 550 as a replacement for the old one that I broke mixing dough at to high a speed. It gets used at least every two weeks. I bake bread on my off shift for that week and the week I'll be on shift. Also use it to grind venison every season. Good machine.

lethal tupperwa
12-27-2003, 08:48
Quisnart food processer the big one.

I can dump the makings of a loaf of bread and some hot water in and in 50 seconds I have dough ready for its first rising.

on the second rising I shape it and put it on the preheated stone in the oven. You get the fancy european pbead that the bakeries want to charge an arm and a leg for.

lwt210
12-27-2003, 20:13
Kitchenaid mixer was about the worst thing that I ever got for the wife.

Nothing wrong with it, just that she makes some of the most wonderful cakes, cookies, breads, dumplings, etc with it. She luvs the thing.

Thing has put 20 pounds on me over the years. And I didn't need them.

I keep hoping the thing will break but it seems more durable than an anvil.

Today she made a red velvet cake (like three layers) with cream cheese icing and a big batch of chocolate chip cookies just for kicks.

Oh, make her stop.;f

nickg
12-29-2003, 10:21
i got one for my wife LAST Christmas since she always wanted one. she loves it!! just a plain white one though.

some of the colored ones rock though!!

Cali-Glock
12-30-2003, 10:26
Some friends of ours got one for Christmas, my wife and I both had mixer-envy! ;g ;f The day after Chrismas, a local kitchen store had refurbished ones for $179... had we not already gone overboard on Christmas I would have purchased one... I kinda wish I had... perhaps that is what I'll get my wife for her birthday or Christmas next year... (Or she can get me one - that'll work!)

Ned Ludd
12-30-2003, 11:10
My Kitchenaid is about the only thing left from my first marriage. The mixer is now 30 years old and works perfectly. The only replacement was the whisk about 6 years ago.

Thanks for the link to the colors. I was happy to see that my green mixer is now back in style except now itís called "wassabi."

My one warning, don't over-mix. If you are used to other mixers you will be surprised how fast this machine is.

-NL

Jack T.
01-01-2004, 21:19
I've had my mixer for several years and it sits on the counter for easy use and gets used at least 5x a week. My hubby is also gaining weight rapidly because of it :) The Kitchen Aid Slicer&Shredder is a must also! The kitchen aid is nice because you can add the attachments as you need them or find them on sale. . .

Mrs. Jack T.

MrsKitty
01-02-2004, 16:55
Originally posted by Jack T.
The Kitchen Aid Slicer&Shredder is a must also! The kitchen aid is nice because you can add the attachments as you need them or find them on sale. . .

Mrs. Jack T.

Hi Mrs. Jack T!

Come join us more often!

Whomever used our shredder/slicer attachements last HID them at our house. I couldn't find them when I needed them for Christmas. Boy was I fuming:( After the meal I discovered them lurking in the Tupperware...I way beyond fuming then;P Can't people put stuff back where they find it....

For those people who don't have one of these gizmos, they have no idea how spoiled the rest of us really are;e

jason10mm
01-14-2004, 12:51
Anyone have and use the pasta maker attachment? I got the black artisan a few months ago and now feel the need to accessorize :) Homemade pasta sounds pretty good, just wondering how well the device works.

Eljay
01-14-2004, 14:33
The pasta attachment works just fine, and it's kind of fun to do.

rdsharp
01-16-2004, 11:22
Originally posted by jason10mm
Anyone have and use the pasta maker attachment? I got the black artisan a few months ago and now feel the need to accessorize :) Homemade pasta sounds pretty good, just wondering how well the device works.

I've used mine once. Never again. The instructions specifically say not to do more than two batches at a time. I did one, and the motor housing on my KSM5 was HOT to the touch.

I used a recipe that was high in semolina flour content, which may have been part of the problem, but it took forever, and I really began to worry about the machine whcih I had considered bullet proof. I also found that I'm not all that fond of extruded pasta.

MrsKitty
01-16-2004, 22:46
If the motor got HOT to the touch, I wonder if you got a dud? I have put ours through a pure workout and never had this to happen.

Actually, we are on our second one. Our first one was over thrirty years old and simply worn out when we replaced it. We have never had this type problem before with anything from breads to running all day long doing super stiff cake icing for wedding cakes with either one of our mixers.

Our second one wouldn't really have needed replacing if we didn't use it as often as we do. We gave it to a friend who rarely uses it so it fits her uses perfectly;e

rdsharp
01-17-2004, 10:45
Originally posted by misskitty5077
If the motor got HOT to the touch, I wonder if you got a dud? I have put ours through a pure workout and never had this to happen.

It wasn't new then, and never did it before, or since, no mater what we put through it -- including grinding meat, which is basically the same function. My guess is the semolina flour made the dough too stiff to be easily pushed through the auger. Wahtever the reason, I'll stick to making pasta by hand, rather than extruding it.

Short Cut
01-17-2004, 11:51
Originally posted by Zak3056
Just got handed my christmas present and it turned out to be a 6qt Kitchenaid Professional stand mixer. I'm pretty darn happy! ;f

My wife loves hers and so do I because it allows her to make triple batches of cookies! Mo power is mo betta!