My Duck Was YUMMY! :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Duck Was YUMMY! :)

Shoeless
12-25-2003, 17:53
Well I am pleased to announce that my very first foray into roasting duck went well! :) The only thing I might do differently next time is to let cook untented for a lot longer so the skin gets really dark brown instead of just golden brown.

Also, because I rubbed it with a mix of Kosher salt, poultry seasoning, black pepper and ginger, my gravy ended up being super salty. How can I fix that without rinsing the salt mix off the duck before roasting?

Thanks,
Shoeless

norm357
12-25-2003, 21:04
Whew you said duck! I thought you said......errrr never mind, glad you enjoyed it.;f

MrsKitty
12-25-2003, 21:04
Won't a potato soak up salt?

Maybe drop chunks of it in and let it soak the salt up for a little while over low heat then scoop it out and toss it.

Anybody know if that would work?

So you had Duck Luck;)

Shoeless
12-25-2003, 21:54
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Won't a potato soak up salt?

Maybe drop chunks of it in and let it soak the salt up for a little while over low heat then scoop it out and toss it.

Anybody know if that would work?

So you had Duck Luck;)

Yes, Misskitty I have done that before. I was just hoping to not have to alter the gravy, but rather nip the saltiness in the bud, as it were.

Potatoes will also help absorb that nasty "scorch" flavor if you burn something. My nanny taught me that. :)

Shoeless

rhikdavis
12-25-2003, 22:17
Put the salt on first....rinse...then put the other stuff on it.

MrsKitty
12-25-2003, 23:16
Shoeless,

Does your poultry seasoning have salt in it? Or MSG? If so, try a salt-free one. If not, cut back on the salt and add more seasoning/spices.

I wonder what a tad of sugar would do? I would cut the salt content necessary and help with browning...but I wonder about taste? Can you eat sugar? Is it you that is a diabetic? I know somebody is...

Is duck naturally salty? I am a deprived kitty and never have tried it so I wonder if it could be adding to the salt issue too.

We'll figure this out by the time you do another duck;f

I didn't know a 'tater would work for repairing scorched stuff too! Thanks! Making a mental note right now...

MissKitty

Glockerel
12-26-2003, 09:20
To cut the saltiness and to brown the skin more, use sugar. A sugar containing liquid like natural maple syrup or chinese hoisin sauce would be great.

Shoeless
12-26-2003, 11:09
The recipe I used (and other people I talked to in advance who cook duck) said to rub it with Kosher salt and spices. Nobody ever mentioned rinsing that stuff off before cooking...

Misskitty, no, duck isn't naturally salty, it was the Kosher salt rub that I put on it a few hours in advance. And, interestingly, the duck itself wasn't salty - it was perfectly seasoned, but not salty. I guess because the salt was on the outside and ran off into the pan as the fat rendered out. Oh, and you MUST try duck sometime. It is wonderful. I'm thinking that next Christmas I might do a goose instead! YUM!

Shoeless

Mild Bill
12-26-2003, 19:04

noway
12-26-2003, 19:31
BTW: That's how I cooked it my first time out.

I reccommend 1st timers for cooking ducks to try a halved duck first before going full turkey and cooking a complete duckling.

Most place that have fresh ducks ( Peking or Muscovies ) will sell you a half at a higher price per lb but it is a good way to learn duck.

Mild Bill
12-26-2003, 19:35
Funny, I'm pitching the idea of doing two at once and noway's tellin' you to get 1/2!

;a

No doubt he's in much better shape than I am!

;c

The Pontificator
12-26-2003, 20:01
My best friend has a entire "entourage" of ducks (mallards) which she feeds corn twice a day.

Hmmmm...;N

Shoeless
12-26-2003, 20:33
MildBill, I did brine my Thanksgiving turkey and it did keep it fairly moist. I even considered brining this duck but then didn't. I will next time!

I pricked the skin several times during the cooking with a fork to render out the fat. It mostly worked, but I shouldn't have tented the duck so soon because I wanted the skin to be crispier.

Live and learn. Next time it will be even better!

Shoeless

Mild Bill
12-26-2003, 20:46
Originally posted by Shoeless
Next time it will be even better!
Shoeless

;f That's what I say everytime I cook anything, almost...
Drives my wife crazy!