Need advice on finding a downed doe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on finding a downed doe

Dadburn
12-25-2003, 17:29
I would welcome any advice(tricks or tips) to help find a nice doe I shot this afternoon about 5:10 pm,She hit the ground when I shot her,the other two does standing besides bolted immediately,I rechambered and looked again expecting to see her in the same place but she was going down through the woods kind of flopping like her front shoulder was busted(which I suspect was).I've got a blood trail where she hit the ground but dark moved in on me and I couldn't see anything after that.I am headed back in the morning with my hunting buddy and his dog to see if we can find her.

paynter2
12-25-2003, 18:20
Tough luck... If she's hit in the shoulder, you may find her near where she went down. They will go down hard if you hit low and break the leg below the shoulder - they can be damned tough to find then.

The dog is a good idea - I've found wounded deer with my brother's deer chasing SOB. I once found a nice buck that a friend hit by watching for ravens and crows circling a day or two after he hit it.

This happens - it's part of hunting. Nobody like it, but it does happen. Good luck and good for you - trying so hard to find it.

mudfootball
12-25-2003, 21:38
If you did in fact just get the leg, it is amazing what they can do on 3 legs. Perhaps a shoulder shot, i hope you are shooting enough gun. If the blood trail is decent you probably got a decent body hit. In PA we cant use dogs so i must recommend that you keep the dog on a short leash because if he jumps her up and you have no shot it could be a long chase. If blood stops, look for small stuff, the broken limbs, and kicked up leaves. good luck let us know
kt

Dadburn
12-25-2003, 22:20
Yea I've got enough gun. A .270 at a little less than 100 yds,It was a good body hit.I could tell by the color of the blood that it was a least a lung shot.I heard a deer cough shortly after I got down now that I think about it so it may have been lungs.I also marked where the cough came from so hopefully it will be an easy find.As dark as it was getting I didn't wait as long as I normally do.I'm going to carry a 12 GA and some 00 buck just in case she survived the night but I really don't think it will be necessary.I've killed enough deer(not a whole lot but enough to know the way she went down and was acting she was hit good).I had a pretty fair amount of blood at the point where she was hit and usually they don't really show blood till they start running.Thanks for all the help.

isp2605
12-26-2003, 05:41
If you got a good hit on her and didn't push her too hard after the shot she'll likely be down within a 100 yds or so from where you last saw her. If not pushed they'll run a ways, then stop. Being hit she'll stand for a while, then lay down. That's why you wait 1/2 hour or so after shooting before you start looking. Look in the direction you last saw her. Check thickets. A good shoulder hit with a .270 she won't be far.

357glocker
12-26-2003, 06:50
I was reading on another message board, to use a spray bottle with peroxide in it to mist into the area should you start losing the blood trail. I haven't tried it yet due to my 7 mag dropping them in place most of the time;f Really though she should be lying dead within 100 yrds like stated earlier and the dog should be able to walk right to her. Good luck.

mudfootball
12-26-2003, 09:04
Hmmm, never heard of that , i would be curious to see if that worked, i can say that when i worked at a sporting goods counter people raved about that Starlight Bloodhound stuff
kt
hope you found her

Dadburn
12-26-2003, 11:30
Well,
Good news.I found her a little bit ago.I've gutted her and am headed to my parents house to clean her.She was laying within 25ft.of where I walked last night but I turned and walked up the creek instead of down the creek.As usual they always go to water.

paynter2
12-26-2003, 13:24
Where was she hit?

Dadburn
12-26-2003, 19:16
She was hit behind the shoulder,a little high though and a little far back and the shot went down at a quartering angle and did a number on her guts.I hate gut shooting deer,but anyway she 's cleaned and on the way to be processed now.

mudfootball
12-26-2003, 21:38
nothing quite like the smell of field dressing a gut shot deer
Kt

Dadburn
12-27-2003, 08:44
Yea,but after you get into it you brcome kind of immune to the smell.

coboconk
01-01-2004, 09:49
I know the feeling. This year I tagged a good ten pointer opening day and at the end of the season hit a spike that was quartering toward me and it went through the guts. Messy job, but I got another deer. I was lucky there was a stream 50 yards away so I could wash him out when I finished gutting him. I always carry a small plastic bag for the heart, and used that to scoop water. Each hunt brings a new chalange that's why we love it. Congrats on the doe.

mudfootball
01-01-2004, 13:24
just how exactly do you cook that up, i got a few buddies that eat it with onions but i took one look at it being sliced and said "nooope."
eat the liver too? very wise to wash the cavity, good job
kt

duncan
01-02-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by Dadburn
Well,
As usual they always go to water.

Good job on finding the doe!

It is true about the water. My old boss shot a caribou in Alaska and his aim was poor but his rifle was powerful. He almost blew the animal's rear leg off. It still hopped a couple hundred yards and they found it dead in a stream. Maybe the coolness feels good on the wound?

riddleofsteel
01-02-2004, 15:41
Most animals and people develop an intense thirst when gun shot or hit with an arrow. Loss of blood seems to drive them to replenish their fluids. A lot of times they get into the water and do not have the strength to get back out.