Best "Flying" Movie? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best "Flying" Movie?

Texas T
12-26-2003, 18:27
I guess it's really hard to classify, but movies who's storyline revolves around flyers and flying such as:

The Blue Max
The Flight Of The Phoenix
12 O'Clock High

etc

Any favorites out there? Maybe there's something that I haven't seen yet. As mentioned in another thread, Flight Of The Phoenix is one of my favorites.

T

Short Cut
12-26-2003, 18:30
Top Gun

High Road to China

Hank Bodmer
12-26-2003, 18:48
Hands down "The Blue Max"

classic line about flying under the bridge:

She says "You were fighting over me!"

He says "No, it was about who was the best pilot" or words to that effect.

Semper Glock
12-26-2003, 19:18
Airplane!

Providing one-liners for professional aviators for 24 years.

Mandatory review here. (http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~rkogan/humor/airplane.html)

Bullman
12-26-2003, 20:19
I really enjoyed "The Tuskeegee Airmen" Cuba Gooding Jr. and Lawrence Fishburne,

Not that I am a Robert Redford fan, but "The Great Waldo Pepper" was a pretty good flying movie.

and it wasn't a movie, but I was a big fan of the TV Series Baa Baa Blacksheep, how cool a tv show was that!!

M2 Carbine
12-26-2003, 21:27
Originally posted by Bullman
I really enjoyed "The Tuskeegee Airmen" Cuba Gooding Jr. and Lawrence Fishburne,

Not that I am a Robert Redford fan, but "The Great Waldo Pepper" was a pretty good flying movie.

and it wasn't a movie, but I was a big fan of the TV Series Baa Baa Blacksheep, how cool a tv show was that!!

Have you read Boyington's Book, Baa Baa Black Sheep?
Very good.^c

I like all the movies mentioned so far except Top Gun.
I don't see Tom Cruise as a fighter pilot and the story line was way too Hollywood with a pilot freezing then the Navy putting him back in the aircraft.

Superfueler
12-26-2003, 22:30
The Right Stuff!!!!

hispeedlodrag
12-26-2003, 22:50
Bravo Zulu Superfueler.
Roger Right Stuff.
Got any Beeman's?

But, I still ain't over Macho Grande!

mbsigman
12-27-2003, 22:55
Absolutely, positively Airplane! Number one movie in my book.

Nothing like getting the snot beat out of us in flight, turning to my cockpit partner, and saying, "Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue." Hell, even our daughter can quote lines from that classic!

"What's wrong with him? Oh, him? He thinks he's Ethel Murman. ......There's no business like show business......."

And I almost hate to admit it, but I really like the original Airport movie with Dean Martin. Yes, there were some technical errors (Checklists? We don't need no stinkin' checklists) but the explosive decompress was right on the money. Ask me and I'll tell you how I know that!

Another great flick is Apollo 13. What a super job by the astronauts and crew on that flight, huh?

Mike

TheGrinch
12-29-2003, 12:38
No contest- Truman Sparks in "Fandango".

Amazing Pilot.

Grinch

aircarver
12-29-2003, 21:43
High & the Mighty ?

Fate is the Hunter ?

(Think i dated myself.......) :cool:

Exile
12-30-2003, 13:21
Sacrilege! You can't put space 'flight' in with real flying. The only good flying bits in The Right Stuff were at the beginning and the end involving Mister Yeager. A good film, yes, and Apollo 13 is a favourite of mine, but good flying films, sorry but no imho.

Got to be

Top Gun
Pearl Harbour
Bat 21
Aces High
The Blue Max
Blue Thunder
..and any other movie where the aeroplane is doing anything other than flying straight & level.

..and it's about time those of you in Hollywood made a film about Mister Yeager, and Chickenhawk too for that matter...
;g

revbrown
12-30-2003, 14:32
FireFox

FoxFire

whichever - clint stealing the rooskie plane

:cool:

smp63
12-30-2003, 16:27
"Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmie Stewart
Spellbinding ending!

C150J
12-30-2003, 23:35
Although not a flying movie, "Bad Boys II" has some AMAZING helo footage. The entire movie is cinematic art (some of the lighting and camera movement is awesome).

Blue Skies!
J.

ScubaSven
12-31-2003, 00:58
Serious: "The Right Stuff"

Comedy: "Airplane!" -- so many great quotes from that one.

rotorhead
12-31-2003, 08:09
"Always" cool fire fighting with the slurry bombers,plus I love the A26.My father flew them in WWII and Korea.:cool:

Texas T
12-31-2003, 20:22
Originally posted by smp63
"Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmie Stewart
Spellbinding ending! NetFlix must be monitoring my GT postings... I just hit the recommend button and F of the P was one of the recommended flicks. It's now in my rental queue. :)

T

Bullman
12-31-2003, 21:37
Originally posted by rotorhead
"Always" cool fire fighting with the slurry bombers,plus I love the A26.My father flew them in WWII and Korea.:cool:

I forgot all about that one, and it was a super cool movie. Somehow that PBY fits John Goodman well. ;f

Short Cut
12-31-2003, 22:47
While not strictly a flying movie I really enjoyed the helicopter scenes from We Were Soldiers.

Junkyard Dawg
12-31-2003, 23:22
"Memphis Belle," was the first movie that I viewed in a theatre in years, having lapsed into, "the wait till it comes out on video routine." Even the largest tv cannot put the life into an aviation movie that is there on the big screen. I suspect that these young men never considered themselves brave or heros, just doing their job, how unfortunate that so many of them never came home.

Kearsage
01-01-2004, 11:34
Twelve O'Clock High, Fate is the Hunter, High & the Mighty, Flight of the Phoenix, The Great Waldo Pepper, The Hunters, Memphis Belle (the 1944 William Wyler documentary version), Blue Max, Tora, Tora, Tora, High Road to China (John Barry's musical score makes the picture), The Bridges at Toko Ri, Men of the Fighting Lady, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Memphis Belle (Gretchen Wyler's 1990 version), Jet Pilot (Howard Hughes film with John Wayne and Janet Leigh shot in 1949 but not released until 1957. Plot is a real stinker but the aerial shots more than make up for it.) & Birds of Prey (1973 made for TV movie with David Janssen)

mbsigman
01-01-2004, 22:56
Beg to differ with you, Mr Exile.

Spacecraft are flown. By pilots. I've met many astronauts through my flying with Metro Airlines in Houston and I will tell you that the spacecraft are absolutely positively FLOWN. Flying in space is quite different than flying in an atmosphere, granted. You have translations along an axis along with rotation about an axis, and all flying in space (at least on the Shuttle) is done through the DAP (digital autopilot) much in the same manner as touch control steering on larger turbine aircraft.

In the movie Apollo 13, Hanks (playing Lovell) says a line just prior to atmospheric interphase that supposedly Lovell actually said to his crew. Can't remember the exact wording but it's something along the lines of "Gentlemen, it has been a privilege flying with you."

Mike

PS Marooned was a pretty good flying movie, too!

aircarver
01-03-2004, 08:12
How about the flying scenes in:

'Capricorn 1'

'Birds of Prey'

'Blue Thunder' ?

or the Beech 18 through the billboard sign in 'Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' ? ;)

flybywire
01-05-2004, 18:25
"CASABLANCA" hands down.

Have you seen the realistic flying scenes in that picture??

Menehune
01-06-2004, 08:17
The Great Waldo Pepper had some great flying.

Top Gun had great flying shots, but not a great movie really.

And for comedy, another vote for Airplane...

"Joey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"

4TS&W
01-06-2004, 08:48
The Great Santini?

I haven't seen it in a while...

One Ragged Hole
01-14-2004, 12:37
Does anyone remember the movie "Cloud dancer" with David "Kung-Fu" Carridine? He played an aerobatic pilot. Lots of great footage. Also most of the flying scenes were performed by Art Schol (SP?) and other great pilots.
O-R-H

Patriot328
01-14-2004, 20:44
Airplane! is by far one of the best airplane movies.. it's also one of the more realistic, if you can believe that (moreso than any of the Airport movies)...

Blue Max is awesome

Top Gun has some nice footage but is a horrid movie..

The Pilot is pretty good, pretty accurate (cept for the drinkin captain part I hope!)

The ABSOLUTE WORST Flying/Aviation movies EVER is

DIE HARD II

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing in that movie is realisitic!!!! Especially the airliner that's completely out of fuel BLOWING UP like a roman candle after it crashes!!!

Grrr pisses me off... :)

4TS&W
01-14-2004, 21:02
Originally posted by Patriot328

DIE HARD II

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing in that movie is realisitic!!!! Especially the airliner that's completely out of fuel BLOWING UP like a roman candle after it crashes!!!

Between the "Glock 7" and the guy in the tower saying "rack 'em and stack 'em boys, we got a code blue.." that movie comes pretty close to comedy genius. Except it wasn't trying to be a comedy. :(

;f

F14Scott
01-19-2004, 23:10
Originally posted by TheGrinch
No contest- Truman Sparks in "Fandango".

Amazing Pilot.

Grinch

That is the best movie nobody's ever seen.

"Looks fast, Truman."
"It's the stripes."

jgamble
01-20-2004, 16:18
Originally posted by Patriot328

DIE HARD II

What about Air Force One. Ugh.

Patriot328
01-20-2004, 17:10
Originally posted by F14Scott
That is the best movie nobody's ever seen.

"Looks fast, Truman."
"It's the stripes."

I think we have a winner!!

Awesome scene! :)

Santa CruZin
01-22-2004, 14:06
Originally posted by aircarver
High & the Mighty ?

Fate is the Hunter ?

(Think i dated myself.......) :cool:

"Fate is the Hunter" was turned into a movie?

Kearsage
01-22-2004, 20:08
Fate is the Hunter was released by 20th Century Fox in 1964. It starred Glenn Ford, Rod Taylor, Wally Cox, and Nancy Kwan.

BTM203
01-22-2004, 21:26
WWII - Battle of Britain

Jet - Top Gun

Helo - We Were Soldiers, Apocalypse Now & Blackhawk Down.

If it Can't Hover, Don't Bother!

newbiedoobiedoo
01-22-2004, 21:59
Good list so far.

I've always enjoyed Flight of the Intruder (Danny Glover, Willem Defoe, Brad Johnson flying A6's in Vietnam)

Texas T
01-23-2004, 01:03
Flight Of The Phoenix showed up from Netflix today so that will be on the DVD player tomorrow. :)

T

G26AZ
02-11-2004, 22:43
Originally posted by One Ragged Hole
Does anyone remember the movie "Cloud dancer" with David "Kung-Fu" Carridine? He played an aerobatic pilot. Lots of great footage. Also most of the flying scenes were performed by Art Schol (SP?) and other great pilots.
O-R-H

Filmed right out here by me near Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ! Watching that show brings back memories of the good ole days when Falcon was an uncontrolled field...

Fast Glass
02-14-2004, 09:53
Originally posted by Bullman

Actually the movie was the pilot for the t.v. show.

One of my favorite movies is "Air Force" from 1943. It's the story of one of the B-17s that was in the flight to Pearl Harbor on Dec. 6, 1941.

Some of my other favorites are:
Air Force One
Drop Zone
Executive Decision
Mainly because I worked for the airline that owned the 747s.

Bullman
02-14-2004, 11:23
Another Cheesy movie that had some decent flying in it that no one has mentioned as of yet is Iron Eagle. Like I said though, the story line was pretty cheesy.

Ranger Grant
02-16-2004, 19:33
The Battle Of Britan has some of the best air to air photography I've ever seen.

Best, RG

Bullman
02-17-2004, 21:14
I was in Walmart tonight and I had to make an impulse buy. There I am, cruising by with my cart near electronics when it calls out to me and I look, The Battle of Britain on DVD. Of course I had to buy it, man is that a great movie or what!!!!

MGM puts it out by the way, in case any of the rest of you are looking for it.

Those Spits and Hurricanes really do it for me, they were some awesome flying machines!!!

Mig-29
03-18-2004, 13:50
My two dogs are named Maverick and Slider. Guess which movie I vote for ?

woxo
03-19-2004, 22:35
Does anyone remember the 1945 movie God is my Co-Pilot.

Bullman
03-20-2004, 15:51
Originally posted by woxo

Sure do! Isn't that the one about Robert Scott, who flew with the AVG?

glocknsail
03-28-2004, 00:57
Cannonball run (single scene only)

http://www.mauleairinc.com/____Maule_in_the_Movies/____Cannonball_Run/Cannonball_1/cannonball_1.html

37glocker
03-28-2004, 21:37

thebronze
03-31-2004, 12:13

I met Robert Scott last year at Robbins AFB in GA. I was at the museum while I was there on a Reserve mission. I met him real briefly and got him to autograph the book that I had just purchased at the gift shop. He is really old and unsteady, but he does volunteer work at the museum. The museum has a pretty big exhibit about him/movie. It was a pretty cool thing.

elgoatropo
04-03-2004, 12:15
How about a mining murder mystery with Charleton Heston and Basinger, with an actual fatal crash and some 206 aerobatics? It was called Motherlode. Good rental.

Also, check out Never Cry Wolf with Brian Denehey. Just enough aviation flavor added to make it fun.

Many flicks like Air Force One are criminally bogus in their aviation shots, like where the 747 makes a go-around, then makes a 180 degree turn in 5 seconds with 30 degree bank angle.

GlockedNCocked
04-09-2004, 15:53
PUSHING TIN!!!!

I guess its more of an ATC movie anyways.

Bye.

freight dog
04-10-2004, 06:26
The Great Waldo Pepper gets my vote. Captures all of the mystique that drew me to aviation. The story of perhaps the worlds greatest aviator of his time going unrecognized due to bad luck and bad timing. That gets me every time.

Star Wars made me want to be a fighter pilot.

Snoopy made me want to curse the Red Baron!