Where are all the pheasants? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the pheasants?

J Sand
12-26-2003, 20:34
I went pheasant hunting for five hours this morning with a few friends and didn't see a single pheasant. I was so disappointed.;Q

Spentshell
12-27-2003, 01:04
We usually find them in dense cover at this time of year-thick cattail swamps. They really tend to group up and are a bit spooky. It helps if you can post blockers at the ends of the swamp.

OH37
12-27-2003, 03:38
I don't know what the deal is where you live, but I think I know where they are (aren't) in Ohio. Seriously, in the last 8 or 10 years I've noticed a definite decrease of rabbit, pheasant, etc. At the same time, there has been a population explosion of coyote, fox, and red-tailed hawk. You do the math...

Dan
12-27-2003, 21:55
Best to have a dog! I use to walk for hours and not see any. Years ago my Dad bought an English Springer Spaniel. Made hunting just more fun to watch the dog work and flush them up!

J Sand
12-27-2003, 22:11
We had a black lab with us but she's still pretty young. Maybe by next year she'll be able to flush them out and hopefully we'll have some better luck in the next few weeks.

MrMunster
12-29-2003, 13:38
Despite what the IA DNR posted, we had no trouble finding them this year. Although, I have wondered the same thing many times over the past few years.

I'm going to be out again this coming weekend, so hopefully they haven't all disappeared!

For reference, most of my hunting has been within 80 miles of Iowa City.

TJC
12-29-2003, 17:36
Well we don't have the pleasure of native birds here in Northern NJ but I've had no trouble with the stocked birds this year. Both my gun club and the state grounds have been very good to me this year. Of course, I couldn't have done it without my 2 Drahthaars. They sniff 'um, track 'um, point 'um and I shoot 'um. Then they go get them for me. ;b

lomfs24
12-29-2003, 20:05
Originally posted by OH37
I don't know what the deal is where you live, but I think I know where they are (aren't) in Ohio. Seriously, in the last 8 or 10 years I've noticed a definite decrease of rabbit, pheasant, etc. At the same time, there has been a population explosion of coyote, fox, and red-tailed hawk. You do the math...

Guess you should change what you are hunting for. I hear coyote and fox pelts are up in price this year. If you get a few, pheasants and other fowl will be up next year. ;f

Coyote hunting is much more fun that bird hunting anyway. ;f

cchardwick
12-30-2003, 09:32
I went pheasant hunting on the opening day of the season with a few buddies and we saw TONS of pheasants! We shot about half a dozen and a couple hit the ground running and were lost. :( I went about a week later on Walk In Access land and was disappointed. The first field I visited should have told me to turn back home. Soon after I got out of my truck and was walking in the corn field, other hunters joined along side of me out of no where. When I got to the end of the field I saw empty shotgun shells, dog paw prints in the dirt and pheasant feathers all over. I still got one that day but I think opening day, early in the morning and private property (with permission of course) is the key. ;Q You should also check out your state hunting and fishing web site. In CO they give pheasant density maps as well as harvest information. Go where the birds are!

OH37
12-31-2003, 09:19
Originally posted by lomfs24
Guess you should change what you are hunting for. I hear coyote and fox pelts are up in price this year. If you get a few, pheasants and other fowl will be up next year. ;f

Coyote hunting is much more fun that bird hunting anyway. ;f

I agree. I don't think there are any predators to keep the predators in check.(besides man) I don't really have time to take up another hobby, but I did shoot a coyote this year. I'm having the hide tanned so I can make a quiver for my longbow.

Craigster
12-31-2003, 12:32
Sorry to hear about some declining Pheasant populations. I just got back from our last hunt for the season and I don’t recall seeing as many birds as this year, many hundreds. We shot limits and near limit every day all off of point.

Craigster
12-31-2003, 12:38
If you are interested in pheasant hunting get involved in one of the Pheasant organizations. It takes time but they can do a lot to help populations.

Craigster
12-31-2003, 12:44
All wild and very smart birds but ………….

lomfs24
01-01-2004, 01:58
I thought you were going to show us some birds.

TJC
01-01-2004, 07:13
The birds are just a bonus, it's the dogs that make the hunt. They are 2 fine looking ones too. They sure look to be having a bunch of fun.
Thinking about going out later today with my 2, even if it's just for a walk.

Craigster
01-01-2004, 10:39
Ok, here is a bird.

Craigster
01-01-2004, 10:45
TJC is right, for me its all about the dogs. Sorry iomfs24 here are the birds or at least some of them. I left the rest and all the quail with my hunting buddy, the owner of the Shorthair that is in one of the above pics.

Craigster
01-01-2004, 10:52
We lost Babe, 9 year *****, and had to back track. Gage, her 3 year pup, thinks he found her………………

Craigster
01-01-2004, 10:59
Yep, there she is........

You have to look hard. Hint, her tail flag is white.

TJC
01-01-2004, 13:04
Great pics Craigster. Well I went for my walk with the Drahthaars this morning. Located 1 rooster that wasn't hanging around to be pointed. He took off running through the high grass and flushed about 50 yards out before the dogs could get a point. Oh well, next time. My young one, 21 months, had fun tracking him anyway.

Pheasant hunting on New Years Day=$5
Finding a bird=$10

Walking with the dogs for 2 hours=Priceless!

Have a great New Year.