New Year's "Good Luck" foods: whatcha havin? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Year's "Good Luck" foods: whatcha havin?

The Pontificator
12-27-2003, 06:47
Southerners eat collards and black-eyed peas

Italians eat lentils and sausage

My parents always made pork spareribs and sauerkraut (where that one came from is anyone's guess).

Whatcha havin' for New Years day?

Dragline
12-29-2003, 17:37
For New Year's Eve, the wife and I always have lobster.
Been doing that for years.

No special traditions for New Years Day though.

weakeyes
12-29-2003, 17:47
Blackeyed peas down here in Texas, but I could really go for pork ribs and sauekraut. May need to start that.

allanc
12-29-2003, 17:53
You people eat something other than blackeyed peas?

Penman
12-29-2003, 18:56
We've started a New Year's Eve tradition, last year I prepared dinner for friends, making tempura with shrimp and assorted vegetables. They have a counter in front of a stove (they have two stoves in their kitchen), and I was able to serve the tempura to them out of the oil. We're getting together again, and will also have some raclette cheese-one of the friends who'll be there has a raclette holder. You place a partial wheel of this cheese in the holder, and turn the cut side to the fireplace. When the cheese begins to melt, you turn the holder back and scrape off the soft cheese and serve it on bread, turning the holder back to the fire to melt another layer. Breakfast will be ebelskivvers and sausage.

glock_19guy1983
12-29-2003, 19:59
Well I will eat some black Eyed peas then Im off to imbibe many many pints of Guinness.;) ;V ;V ;V ;V

weakeyes
12-29-2003, 22:12
Hey Allanc, now and then the cattle get so thick, that the pump jack on the oil wells will knock a few in the head, so we just finish them off an bar-B-Q just enough for a few hundred folks.

allanc
12-30-2003, 06:55
Originally posted by weakeyes
Hey Allanc, now and then the cattle get so thick, that the pump jack on the oil wells will knock a few in the head, so we just finish them off an bar-B-Q just enough for a few hundred folks.

What time is the bbq? ;)

Glockerel
12-30-2003, 08:38
I lobbied for ribs and kraut, but my wife vetoed it for New Yorks on the grill, Bearnaise sauce, bakers, caesar salad and lingonberries over ice cream.

I'll have my way on New Years day with buffalo wings and these devastatingly hot jamaican wings, whose recipe I begged for over the course of 2 years. I should be singing "The Ring of Fire" by evening.;f

Shoeless
12-30-2003, 21:14
I'm all about the pork and sauerkraut, but believe it or not, the friends we will be spending New Year's Day with have never heard of pork and sauerkraut, AT ALL, let alone as a good luck food.

Well, I thought that was bad enough, but my beloved MR. SHOE hasn't either!! ;P

Although, we never had it with pork ribs... it was always a roast with the sauerkraut in the roasting pan and mashed taters on the side. YUMMMMMMM...

Somehow I think that isn't what we'll be having, however, since our hosts have never heard of it. Hmph.

Shoeless

MarkCO
12-31-2003, 08:52
I always make Chatuea Brion using elk tenderloins on New Years. It is marinating in the fridge right now. Sitting next to it is Eddie C.'s 10 item cheesecake that I made last night. We'll be adding some potatoes and salad. Should make a good feast.

New Years day, Rocky Mountain Breakfast sausage with Coffe Kutchen cake and eggs for breakfast, snacks through the day, and maybe homemade pizza for dinner.

Shoeless
12-31-2003, 11:29
Originally posted by MarkCO
I always make Chatuea Brion using elk tenderloins on New Years.

YUM!! Have fun!

Shoeless

ExxoticOne
12-31-2003, 18:51
ENORMOUS king crab legs, COLLOSAL scallops marinated in sake, shrimp cocktail, Ossetra/Vodka and cold lobster salad.

geminicricket
12-31-2003, 19:06
Cornbread, black eyed peas, ham.

I didn't know until 2003 that one of my gggfathers was of a wealthy Mississippi plantation family and along with two brothers served through the Civil War in a cavalry unit.

ClydeG19
01-01-2004, 10:06
I'm with Shoeless and Pont's parents. It's pork and sauerkraut day. Those, along with mashed potatoes is about all we eat all day.

Phil306
01-01-2004, 10:07
King Crab Legs
Baked Potato
Fullers ESB

Some sort of dessert
With Chimay Grande Reserve

Shoeless
01-04-2004, 17:31
We ended up having smoked turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and a spinach salad. It wasn't pork and sauerkraut, but hey, we were with friends we love, so that's what matters. :)

Shoeless

ebigfish
01-06-2004, 19:29
dittos on the black eyed peas with a BONE-IN Ham in the crock pot.
yummy.
no fish.:cool:

cannoneer
01-09-2004, 02:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by geminicricket
[B]Cornbread, black eyed peas, ham.

The only way to start the new Year ;f

MrsKitty
01-09-2004, 22:33
Am I the only one who had any hog jowl?;P

CaptDoug04
01-10-2004, 09:26
Bagna Cauda

84S
01-10-2004, 12:25
I had greens, black eyed peas, fresh ham, and corn bread. I could eat that everyday if I had to.