Need Sausage recipes.....Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Sausage recipes.....Help

slightlyabnorml
12-27-2003, 10:31
Hey all, I'm looking for homade sausage recipes, a co-worker of my husbands is giving us 2 75-80 pound hogs tomorrow ( yeah I know they're small, but at that size both of them will fit in our smoker. As we are going to butcher them ourselves, i'm needing sausage recipes. I really cant see taking them to the local locker and paying $75.00 apeice to have them processed, when we can do it ourselves and get what we want.
The hams, shoulders and ribs will probably go into the smoker,loins etc into the freezer and leftovers ground. I would really like to make some sausage, but am having problems finding recipes and seasoning guidelines. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as biscuits and gravy are realllllly popular at this house. ;f

Thanks, amanda

Shoeless
12-27-2003, 11:52
Amanda, I get all my recipes from either www.foodtv.com or www.epicurious.com - they have search capabilities and are a wealth of knowledge! Try them!

Shoeless

Bruce H
12-27-2003, 14:17
Here is another.http://www.3men.com/sausage.htm#Breakfast%20Sausage Get busy, I'm hungry.

Here is another. http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/sausage/sausage.htm Get busier, I'm hungrier.

slightlyabnorml
12-27-2003, 14:26
Thanks Shoeless, i'll look into those.

Originally posted by Bruce H
Here is another.http://www.3men.com/sausage.htm#Breakfast%20Sausage Get busy, I'm hungry.

Yeah yeah I hear ya dad, I'm gonna use that gargantuan meat grinder
you guys got us for christmas, tomorrow. Welcome to the slaughterhouse. ;f I will be sure to bring you guys some.

bit_o_sweets
12-27-2003, 15:27
I made these sausage balls for christmas and they were a hit:

1 pound of ground sausage

3 cups of bisquick

1 pound of grated sharp chedder cheese

Mix sausage and bisquick with hands until thoroughly mixed [this will take a few minutes but the results are worth it]

Then mix in the cheese,roll into teaspoon size balls

bake on a cookie sheet 9-12 min

this will make about three batches

Glockerel
12-28-2003, 14:56
Here's my homemade Polish sausage recipe. My Grandfather brought it with him from Poland when he came to the U.S.

5#'s coarsely ground pork butt
3 Tbls marjoram leaves
2 Tbl ground black pepper
1&1/2 Tbl kosher salt
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Thoroughly mix ingredients and let sit overnight in the fridge.
Next day, stuff into casings, separating links at 8" intervals.
This freezes well. I either simmer in a pan and then brown it, or simply grill it.

m65swede
12-30-2003, 02:58
Originally posted by slightlyabnorml
Hey all, I'm looking for homade sausage recipes, a co-worker of my husbands is giving us 2 75-80 pound hogs tomorrow

One potential problem in using pigs that small is that they won't have enough natural fat to make good sausage. You can always buy a few pounds from a local market. No fat = no flavor.

We usta make whole hog sausage from extremely lean animals; had to add oil to the pan to prevent the sausage patties from sticking! But they were gooood. :)

Swede

MarkCO
12-31-2003, 07:46
Hope I am not too late...

If you have a Tony's Meat market, they have great mixes.

I have a bunch, but they are intended for deer and antelope mixed with pork butts.

MarkCO
12-31-2003, 09:35
Here are some of my favorites...

Rocky Mountain Dinner Sausage

· 10 pounds Venison or Elk
· 2-3 pounds Suet or trimmings (Beef or Pork)
· 1 tsp celery Seed
· 2 tbs dry mustard
· 2 tbs black pepper
· 1 tbs garlic powder
· 1 tbs onion powder
· 2 tbs brown sugar
· 1 ˝ cup ice water
· 1 packet Tony’s Rocky Mountain Smoke

Rocky Mountain Breakfast Sausage (my wife's favorite)

· 10 pounds Venison or Antelope
· 1 tbs sage
· 2 tbs white pepper
· 1 tbs allspice
· 2 tbs Hickory Smoked Salt
· 1 tbs thyme
· 1 tbs maple extract
· 1 cup packed brown sugar
· 1 cup corn syrup
· 1 cup ice water
· 2 tbs crushed red pepper (optional)

Raspberry Elk Sausage (use instead of hamburger for stroganoff ;f, or serve as a patties with sides)

· 10 pounds Elk
· 2 tbs white pepper
· 2 tbs crushed red pepper
· 1 ˝ tbs cumin
· 1 ˝ tbs celery seed
· 2 tbs garlic powder
· 1 cup honey
· 2 cups iced Raspberry wine

I buy Pork Butts from Cosco Warehouse. I coarse grind the meats, mix together add the spices and mix. Then add the ice water (or wine on the Raspberry one) and mix. Run back through the fine grinder and pack in 1 pound packages. This makes for very lean and tasty sausages with wild game. For pork, I'd suggest just using 12-13 pounds per recipee.