I bought some goat chops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I bought some goat chops

Shoeless
12-29-2003, 09:53
Well, we hit the DeKalb Farmer's Market yesterday. WHAT A PLACE! For you Atlantans, if you haven't been, it's a must-see. They have soooo much stuff there! Cheeses GALORE if you're a cheese lover. Fresh made breads of all kinds, bulk grains and pastas, veggies and fruit like you've never seen, lamb, pork, game birds, live fish and seafood... amazing. And good wine prices, too!

Anyway, I went there for goat, and goat I got. I ended up with three chops. (didn't want to buy too much, just in case we didn't like it). Following the lead of my man Tyler Florence, I first pan seared it in some hot olive oil and fresh rosemary and now it's in the crockpot with chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion.

I figure in about six hours or so it should be done and I'll find out one way or the other whether I like it. Will keep you posted!

Shoeless

nickg
12-29-2003, 10:13
goat is good in spicy Indian recipes too.

noway
12-29-2003, 10:44
FYI:

It probably isn't as oily as some of the lamb chops, depending on how the goat was raise. It goes good on the BBQ or hot grill and great in currys. Never heard of anybody slow cooking it in a crock pot but it sounds interesting.

Glockerel
12-29-2003, 11:36
Jamaican jerked goat rocks.
I once had goat tacos at a mexican place and they were good too.

noway
12-29-2003, 11:59
Jamaicans & Haitians and pretty much most of the Islanders use goat in alot of the curry dishes. The Haitians calls their dish "Tassot" and it is pretty good if you don't mind that fact that both of them add more bone then meat into the dish when serving.

The meat isn't as gamey as Lamb but is very lean.

allanc
12-29-2003, 12:28
When I was growing up, one of my friends had a pet goat. The goat would pull us around in a wagon or we would ride the goat. He was our best buddy. One year, he was stolen on the 3rd of July. ;1

Even with the trauma suffered in my childhood, I prefer to eat bbq goat. ^7 I've had it fixed other ways but over an open fire is best.

noway
12-29-2003, 12:52
ditto;

{ I've had it fixed other ways but over an open fire is best.}

That's my family way of doing it for years and like you I had a pet goat that was eatin after it started to misbehave and tearin up things and causing a ruccus around the house.

It was call by a simple name "billy the kid"
:cool:

California Jack
12-29-2003, 15:13
Old goat or young? One of my african friends swears old goat is much better.

hcook
12-29-2003, 17:51
I'll be interested to hear your opinion, Shoeless. I had goat sausage once, and it was very tasty.

noway
12-30-2003, 00:00
{Old goat or young?}

Young goat are definetely more tender. I guess it depends on what you like and use too. Also the goat tends to add more weight in fat as they get older versus when young they use most of their food consumed to build meat as in muscle.

Also most african cultures boils the meat vrs cooking over a open flame, so the boiling effect will tenderize the meat of older animals.

just my 2 pesetas

allanc
12-30-2003, 06:53
Well Shoeless, how did they turn out?

Shoeless
12-30-2003, 21:03
YUMMY! I really liked them. They are similar to lamb but not quite as gamey (although I don't consider lamb to be overly gamey). The crock pot made them nice and tender, I cooked up some jasmine rice to put underneath the stew, and the meal was wonderful.

I found something on the net today that said that goat is
1. the most widely consumed meat in the world and
2. MUCH lower in fat and cholesterol than pork, beef or lamb.

I'm still researching that nutritional fact to see if it's really true or just something the goat farmers say. :)

Anyway, I also hope that Harry's has it, because I don't want to have to go all the way down to the DeKalb Farmer's Market every single time I want some.

Shoeless

MrsKitty
12-30-2003, 21:56
I have always wanted to try goat.

Depending on the area they originally come from, alot of the Mexicans around here raise thier own goats to eat. I asked a Hispanic friend (she was a "Mexican impostor" as we called her-from Texas, never even crossed the border;)) about fixing me some goat in the traditional way once and almost got thrown out of her house. Apparently they didn't eat goat?

After that, I just settled for the WONDERFUL homemade tortillas fresh out of the pan...I loved Sunday morning breakfast at her house. I have never ate anything as good as those tortillas are, and I doubt I ever will. Nice thick ones. So soft and tender. Dear me, I am really wanting one now;g

Maybe someday I can buy goat meat around here. Since the Mexicans started shopping in the local grocery stores, our selections and available varieties of produce has really increased;f I can always hope;a

noway
12-31-2003, 09:14
{I found something on the net today that said that goat is
1. the most widely consumed meat in the world and
2. MUCH lower in fat and cholesterol than pork, beef or lamb.}

That might be 100% true, remember Bovine is not common world wide as say a goat or even a sheep or even the plain chicken.

Prior to the "pale skin folks" taking over the americas and killing the bison, cows where a new 4 legged aninal in the americas. Not one cow is native to the USA and and almost all beef or diary cattle is from of a european background. Even the Texas Longhorn is not native to Texas but was herded from the far south regions of Mexico and Central Americas to Tejas.

BTW: with mad cow (BSE) here and with the past cases in Canada, I expect alot of people eating less American beef!

Shoeless
12-31-2003, 11:03
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Maybe someday I can buy goat meat around here. Since the Mexicans started shopping in the local grocery stores, our selections and available varieties of produce has really increased;f I can always hope;a

Misskitty, do you have any decent sized farmers markets near you? If you have any, give 'em a try. You might be surprised.

This is from the USDA web site:

Nutrition

Meat from goats and horses is low in fat. A 100-gram (3 1/2 ounces) serving of cooked, roasted meat contains:

Goat: 143 calories; 27 grams protein; 3 grams fat; 3.7 milligrams iron; 86 milligrams sodium; and 75 milligrams cholesterol.

Horse: 175 calories; 28 grams protein; 6 grams fat; 5 milligrams iron; 55 milligrams sodium; and 68 milligrams cholesterol.

Are These Meats Classified as "Red"?

Both goat and horse are considered red meats.

Safe Handling of Goat and Horse Meat

Handle goat and horse meat the same as any other type of meat. Make your selection just before checking out at the register. Put packages of raw horse or goat in disposable plastic bags (if available) to contain any leakage which could cross contaminate cooked foods or produce. Take packaged horse or goat home immediately and refrigerate it at 40 F; use within 3 to 5 days, or freeze (0 F). If kept frozen continuously, it will be safe indefinitely.
Shoeless

California Jack
12-31-2003, 12:54
mmmmmmmm,,,,,,Horse, now your talkin'.

noway
12-31-2003, 13:34
other red meats that are better than beef and even better than goat are;

Bison, Ostrich and even Elk (IIRC).

California Jack
12-31-2003, 13:59
I gotta disagree with you on the Bison. It is just too lean. Now beefalo on the other hand, that's some good stuff. Elk's ok though, I'm on your side with that one.