This is Nestor's fault! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : This is Nestor's fault!

Shoeless
12-29-2003, 10:58
Ok, I want to make pierogies from scratch. I have a bread maker so dough is not a problem... just not sure what kind of dough to make and then how to proceed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shoeless

mhambi
12-29-2003, 11:20
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup corn oil

Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm. Knead dough until mixture does not stick to hands. Cover tightly and let stand for half an hour in a warm place.

or

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4664/recipe19.html

or

http://www.polishpotteryonline.com/polishrecipes5.html

Sixgun_Symphony
12-30-2003, 00:28
The bread is easy, could someone post the recipe on how to make pierogies?

Glockerel
12-30-2003, 04:13
Here's a recipe like the one we use:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup water

Mound flour on bread board with a well in the center. Drop eggs and salt into well. Add water, working from center to outside of mound, mix flour into liquid in center with one hand and keep dough mounded with the other. Knead until well mixed and firm. Cover dough with a warm bowl and let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into halves. Roll out 1/2 dough on floured surface as thin as possible. If it gets too thick, it turns noodle-like and they are no good. Cut 3-inch rounds with biscuit cutter or bowl mouth. Place filling a little to one side of center. Moisten edges with water fold over and pinch edges together. Be sure they are sealed well or all the filling will leak out. Drop pierogi into boiling water. Cook gently 3-5 minutes, or until they float. Lift out of water with perforated spoon, and drop them into a frying pan with butter or margarine. Fry until golden.

For the fillings, try mashed potatoes with cheese and onion; sauteed(well drained) sauerkraut with bacon; mushrooms, sauteed with onions, thyme and marjoram or really about anything you'd like.

I eat them boiled, my wife likes hers lightly boiled then sizzled in butter.

Shoeless
12-30-2003, 20:15
That was my next question... I assume they have to be boiled, even if just for a minute or two, to cook the dough. Then you drop them into a skillet with butter and onions right?

Shoeless

Glockerel
12-31-2003, 04:02
Yep, butter and onions. If I do them that way, I do it briefly. If left in too long, the dough takes on a hard finish and is crispy. My wife, however, likes them a little crispy. What does she know- she's German...;)