Bacon Wrapped Turtle Dove [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Wrapped Turtle Dove

duckslayer79
12-31-2003, 04:01
This is the only way that I have found to cook Turtle Dove that tastes good.

For this you will need the following:
12 turtle doves
2 packages of bacon
1 stick of butter
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
2 packages of Mushroom flavored rice
Aluminium foil
Glass casarole dish
1 Package of tooth picks
Salt & Pepper
Small grab bag of ranch flavored doritos

Day 1:
This is for 12 turtle doves. You will need to take the turtle doves and clean them, cut the legs and wings off then gut them. Clean them really good and make sure to look for any and all shot pellots. Soak the dove breasts in a tub of water with 1/8 cup of salt. This will get most of the gamey taste out of them.

Day 2:
Start your BBQ grill up and preheat it. While its heating up take your dove breasts out of the bowl and rinse them off. Take your package of bacon out and wrap the dove breasts up competely with the bacon then take tooth picks and secure the bacon. Usually takes about 3 whole pieces for each breasts. Melt the stick of butter in a dish. I like to use a small paint brush (new one) and dab it in the butter and basically paint the dove beasts. I do this until they are competely covered with butter. Next sprinkle salt and pepper over them however much you like.

Next take a piece of foil twice the length of your BBG grill surface and fold it in two and curl up the edges. Lay it on the BBQ grill and let it get hot. Place the bacon wrapped breasts on the foil evenly.

While the dove are on the BBQ grill take and boil the rice as per the directions on the package. While the rice is cooking keep painting the breasts with butter all over. You can add more salt and pepper if you like but dont over do it. The rice should be finished before the breasts are done. While you are doing the breasts and rice open your two cans of cream of mushroom soup and pour them into a med size bowl. Heat the soup in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so. Dump the cooked rice and soup into the casarole dish and mix it up really good.

Preheat oven to 350f

Keep a close eye on the dove breasts. You will need to check them by cutting a small slit in one of the breasts to see how pink the meat is. Take them off the grill when they are about 90% done. Place them evenly in the casarole dish all the way to the bottom and make sure the rice and soup is evenly spread out. Next is a kicker for me. I take the bag of doritios and crumble them up and sprinkle them over the top of the dish. Cover really good with foil and bake at 350f for 20 minutes.

Uncover and enjoy!!!

Take Care
"duck"

duckslayer79
12-31-2003, 04:10
I tried for years to cook to find a way to cook dove without it tasting like the grain they ate. Beleive it or not, but I thought this recipe up one night while playing cards when I was 16. Ive got a really good imagination.;)

You can also substitute the mushroom rice and mushroom soup with any flavor you like. Just make sure to use the same flavor of rice and soup or it ends up tasting funny.

This is a really good dish for partys if you have time to cook it. People start eating it and ask "what is this" its cool to see the look on there face when you tell them its Turtle Dove.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Take Care
"duck"

allanc
12-31-2003, 06:59
You can also just take dove breasts, add a wedge of jalapeno, wrap in bacon, and grill. Oh so good...

duckslayer79
12-31-2003, 07:13
Originally posted by allanc
You can also just take dove breasts, add a wedge of jalapeno, wrap in bacon, and grill. Oh so good...

Aint that true. I forgot about the jalapeno. I have tried it several times and it is really good.

Take Care
"duck"

noway
12-31-2003, 09:06
I perfer dove breast wrapped in bacon,jalapeno and a thin slice of garlic.

Pin the whole thing together w/a toothpick and bake at 350deg for above 25mins and you have a decent appetizer.

if you want it more crunching, wrapped the dove breast with a thin sliced Prosciutto Ham before the bacon.

Travis Vick
01-03-2004, 20:05
Ok Folks,
You've hit a cullinary nerve in this ol' boy, doves!

All of the recipes listed so far are "muy bueno". But I have shot doves in six countries and have tried more dove recipes, and wasted more good meat doing it than I care to mention. Of ALL the efforts I have tried on literally thousands of dove, one of the simplest is the BEST:

1)Breast them little suckers out. (Don't pluck 'em, that's rediculous!)
2) With a sharp knife slit along the "keel" down to the breast bone. This is so the marinade can address more surface area.
3) Marinade with equal amounts of GOOD red wine, (Merlot or Cabernet) and Kinkoman Teryaki Sauce for a minimum of four hours. (Overnight is best and stir on occasion.)Ask for Kinkoman. It's thinner and gets into the meat better.
4)When you are ready to cook, place a sliver of jalapeno pepper on each side of the "keel" and wrap with a piece of bacon.
5) Throw 'em on the grill for about 20 min. tops.
6) OPTIONAL: (But this will have the women folk fighting over the last bird.) AFTER you take them off of the grill, lightly brush them with a Rasberry Chipolte sauce. (Available at most grocery stores.)

This recipe for the most noble of gamebirds has been compared to a religious experience. ENJOY !!!