Best hunting experiences of 2003? Goals for 2004? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best hunting experiences of 2003? Goals for 2004?

txgolfer45
01-01-2004, 12:52
Since I'm new to hunting, every trip is memorable. I guess the best was getting my first deer. It was a doe on a buddy's family property. The second best was my first dove hunt. I got 6 and lost one I couldn't find in the dense cover. I have learned alot and continue to learn each time I'm out in the field.

Goals for 2004:

1. Get a nice buck
2. Go duck hunting
3. Go hog hunting

How about you?

mudfootball
01-01-2004, 14:21
Best experiences i had this year, called my cousins first turkey in for him. That was nice my best day was actually just last week. It was one of those days where you dont feel like getting out of bed, almost call it a day, i hiked decoys and blind 400 yds into a field by myself! Didnt feel like setting the whole spread, only put 40 sillouettes out. Well! at 8 Am snow geese by the thousands came by, not working my decoys but low enough that i got my first one. Then canadas by the thousands, first bunch i let get 2 close and some how missed a bird at 10 yds and couldnt put enough bb's in him to bring him down with the next shot. next flock i shot my two canadas, immediately after i saw more canadas coming and i just laid there, well they came in and landed, for the next 45 mins every goose that flew did the same thing, until my little decoy spread had easily over 1000 canadas in it, some came so close to my face that i moved to the side of the blind because i didnt want a wing or a webbed foot in my eye, and get this after i shoo'd them away, and picked up the spread, i never found my second canada!
it was great , got two deer and ducks this year two!
kt

PlasticGuy
01-01-2004, 23:15
Gee, this has been a full year of great hunting memories for me. Taking my dad out and setting him up to get his first ever deer was wonderful. Getting my first hunting dog (black lab named Sadie) was wonderful. Watching her first field retrieve (at a bit over 5 months) was great! The fact that I dropped that quail, and 9 others just like it that day, with my brand new Beretta 20 gauge made it even better. Taking my wife hunting for the first time ranked right up there too, even though she didn't want to actually shoot anything this year.

For next year, my goal is to watch my wife shoot her first quail, and my little pup go retrieve it for her. I can't think of anything better than that right now.

ILikeFtLbs
01-04-2004, 14:33
This year I got:

1)record book Black bear in British Columbia (19 & 3/16 inch shull, 6'9 squared)
2)9 pt whitetail, 2 spikes, 2 does (saw a nice 6 and 8 pt pair of whitetails during archery season that I will nab next year....I hope)
3) 18 LB. Fall Turkey with my Savage .17 HMR

bustedknee
01-04-2004, 15:31
Took my son-in-law, with me, archery hunting for moose.

He watched me make one of the greatest stalks in my life.

And he was there to help with the guttin and packin.

He also loved taking home his half of the meat.

He promised to get his archery certification by next fall.

allhowl
01-04-2004, 20:08
Took a 10 pointer with a drop tine (so its an 11 pointer right), after shooting a coyote about 20 minutes before that. Icalled the buck in with Truetalker & dropped him on the spot within 10 yds. of where the coyote lay. The coyote was only a few yds. away from me when I killed it.

Took a urkey with .223 & a doe with the .50 cal. ML. Had an enormous 12 pointer within 10 yds. of me that didn't kknow I was there. Couldn't shoot him because I'd already filled my buck tag with a firearm. I'm still bowhunting and hope to see him real close again before the season ends 1-15-04.
;) ;) ;)

vafish
01-05-2004, 08:34
Best part of 2003 was taking my 10 year old son out hunting. Another great part was that my dad came along too.

Goal for 2004, Get the kid to shoot a deer.

Michigun
01-05-2004, 08:36
Here are the past threads & pictures for my 2003 hunting season… (In order as taken.)

Buffalo
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138850&highlight=buffalo

Spring Turkey
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153751&highlight=turkey

8-Point Whitetail (Bow Kill)
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192606&highlight=whitetail

Fall Turkey
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191373&highlight=turkey

7-Point Whitetail (Gun Kill)
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199452&highlight=whitetail

Doe Whitetail (Gun Kill)
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201705&highlight=whitetail

I also took a doe opening day of bow season & then another doe at the very end of regular firearms deer season… 5 whitetails in all this year. Still ended up with 2 unfilled doe tags though, but never really tried very hard to fill them.

There were numerous cottontails, squirrels, pheasants & ducks (many different species) in there as well… no geese this year as we never really hunted them & I only had the chance at one partridge, but he made a nice sandwich nun the less! More then a few varmints such as raccoon, opossum & woodchuck have fell along the way too.

Been a GREAT 2003 season!

Now it’s time to start the preparing for the 2004 seasons… just applied for my spring turkey license this morning! Gobble, gobble… BOOM-thud!!!

jackbglockin
01-06-2004, 03:45
My story is similar to TXGolfer. I had the opportunity to go to West Virginia to a friends family farm the week of Thanksgiving. I took two nice does with my brand new Remington 700 BDL in the ever popular .270 caliber(my 10 yr anniversay gift no less). I had been casually hunting (if such a thing exists) for 3 years and never got anything. Of course it has a lot to do with the fact that I din't have a rifle, only my bow and I so badly wanted to get my first deer with it but oh well, the meat is just as good! As an aside, the guy who introduced me to hunting was also a huge RKBA advocate. Because of him, I not only took up hunting but I too am solidly in the 2A camp and have been enjoying my G26 for about a year now. I mention this only because I often hear the argument that hunters don't necessarily support 2A because they feel gun control does not affect them. I think we are all in this together. Stay safe. Take a child hunting, (or an adult, just go.

RJ Schuknecht
01-08-2004, 02:40
Best hunting experience from 2003: Shooting a doe my first year hunting with a muzzleloader and having the DNR biologist age her at 10 1/2 years old.

Goals for 2004: Cutting as many trees as I can over the next 3 months to open up the forest floor to sunlight. Should create a lot of new growth, great browse and cover for the deer.

Shoot more does.

01-08-2004, 17:49
Hmmm, best hunting memories of 2003?

As emberrasing as it was, having a stupid squirrel come running down a tree, hop onto my shoulder, and then I shot it with a .44 mag. I still cant help but laugh every time I think about it.

Goals for 2004?

1.) Get another elk
2.) Get a nice Canadian Buck
3.) And as someone else once said, continue the eternal hunt for poontang.

mudfootball
01-08-2004, 22:03
Thats funny! I was gonna add something to my post somewhere along those lines, but i thought better you than me, but thats always in season, although trophies are hard to find.
kt