The AutoLand thing got me thinking..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The AutoLand thing got me thinking.....

Wulfenite
01-04-2004, 16:12
... I wonder if it could be used as a anti hijacking feature. Could the FMS be equiped with some sort of panic button? It could be rigged to lock out the controls when pressed and divert the plane to a suitable nearby facility and complete the landing. While we're at it, why not have it open the com so ATC gets play by play. You could have it set up so the lock out could be cleared by 1 of the pilots entering a security code and ATC sending an all clear signal. You could also put some security cameras throughout the cabin that could be activated and set to transmit on signal from the pilots or stews.

flybywire
01-04-2004, 21:56
Hey (bad, bad) Leroy Brown,

Don't even give this idea another thought. It has more holes in it than a warehouse full of swiss cheese.

Wulfenite
01-04-2004, 22:30
I know there are holes, clearly perfecting a system like this would be near impossible. But, like SDI, the system only has to be good enough to be a credible threat. In the give and take of this scenario a jumbo with colapsed gear in the grass of the end of some runway is a win, a big WIN. In any case this is definately a "if you have it you're not likely to need it technology".