Real good American beer... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Real good American beer...

Nestor
01-05-2004, 14:38
Ok I asked about different states, gun laws, climate etc. etc. but I want to know something really important...good American beer ;f . I prefer something around 4,5-6,5 % of alcohol not yellow, but like "old gold" color, and not very bitter (but not sweet of course). What's your suggestions friends? I will be looking for my own too when the right time will come, but little help will be very appreciated ;c ;c ;c ;) Cold one for you on me!

Shoeless
01-05-2004, 15:33
As American beers go, Sam Adams is one of the better beers brewed here. You may not like the Boster Lager because it's fairly hoppy, but they do carry other types such as Oktoberfest, Winter Lager, Double Bock, and more that will be more malty and less hoppy.

Beer is traditionally made from malt (barley or other grain), hops (flowers), yeast and water. If it's a fruit beer or a Hefeweisen it will clearly have other ingredients wuch as wheat or fruit puree, but regular beer is generally those four basic ingredients.

After the grain is malted, the syrup that it yields is boiled and then yeast is added to ferment it. The yeast eats the sugars that are naturally present in the wort, and as they eat the sugars, they produce carbon-dioxide and alcohol as by-products. So the yeast creates both fermentation and carbonation in your beer.

The yeast eventually stop eating the sugars when
a) the alcohol content becomes too high, killing the yeast
b) the temperature drops too low and kills them

Ale is made with top fermenting yeast, and yields a rounder, more robust fuller bodies beer generally.

Lager is made with a bottom fermenting yeast, and yields a crisper beer, usually. Lagers take longer to ferment than ales, too.

By the way, malty is what you're looking for if you want to stay away from bitter beer. (Hops are what gives beer the bitter taste). Typically, the darker brews are maltier, while a Pale Ale, India Pale Ale (IPA) or lager will tend to be more hoppy. This is funny because those who don't really know, often shy away from the darker beers thinking they will be bitter, when in reality, they are generally more smooth, round, chocolately and have coffee and caramel notes, and the YELLOW beers tend to be more bitter.

This is your beer lesson for today. :)

Shoeless, (I used to work for a brewpub)

Dragline
01-05-2004, 15:52
Yuengling(sounds like it should come from China but is made in PA) is a pretty decent American beer.

01-05-2004, 15:58
Great post Shoe. I took a tour of the SAM ADAMS brewery in Boston and it was great. Free beer to!! That fresh stuff was the best.

Nestor
01-05-2004, 16:04
Shoeless I can't find the right word ;P, so "thank you" is all I can say now. Wow! Good to have you on our side! I like Guinness, but only sometimes - for every evning relax I prefer something more ordinary, so thank you for this information. Yuengling sounds interesting...thank you too Dragline.

Glockerel
01-05-2004, 16:15
Grab a Summit Pale Ale. Made right here in St. Paul, Mn. One of the best beers on the planet.

Shoeless
01-05-2004, 16:29
Originally posted by Dragline
Yuengling(sounds like it should come from China but is made in PA) is a pretty decent American beer.

I love the Yuengling Black and Tan. Every time someone I know goes to Pennsylvania, I have them bring me a case. I now have four cases in my house! hee hee... it's delish!

Nestor, you are welcome! :)

Shoeless

noway
01-05-2004, 16:47
FYI: Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the states.

Nestor alot of american beers are good but I find the real good ones aren't general popular beers that are available in the local stores. The regional micro-brews have some of the best beers depending on what you want.

I myself like white or red Belgian ales and that means coppertown ommegang. Other beers ( not techincally Ales ) that I drink that are american and not so common.

Yeuling Black&tan
Michelob Black & tan
ESB redhook ( IPA )
Shipyard Thumper Ale
Goose Island (IPA or Brown ale Honkers ale if I'm real in the mood )

If I have only american brews and no imported french or belgian ales then the 4 listed beers would be in my refrig. If you come to the states like Chicago or Wisconsin area, try going to a beer festival and checkout the beers that are available. You can also do like I do and subscribe to the beer magazine. Alot of the small breweries have some very good slection that are sold in house for carry out.

I found in my past 5 yrs of really drinking good beers ( and that doesn't include Bud and MGD, sorry for all of you rednecks that think Budweiser is a good beer "yuck!" ) that areas like upstate NY, anywhere in PA, Chicago,& Wisconsin all have great local brews that are very good.

(e.e walter payton brewery in aurora,IL or Goose Island in Chicago)

Cheers.

;c

hispeedlodrag
01-05-2004, 16:51
Fat Tire, New Belguim Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO.

23skidoo
01-06-2004, 06:08
Anchor Steam is another excellent American beer. It has a taste similar to Sam Adams but without the bitter aftertaste.

MarkCO
01-06-2004, 08:56
I actually prefer the Sam Adams Cream Stout to Guiness. In general, Sam Adams is my choice across the board sans the Craberry Lambis (Not too good if you ask me). Sam Adams Tripple Bock is really amazing BTW. Breckenridge Brewery, from CO, makes some pretty good beers, but not sure if you can buy them around the US.

Vic303
01-06-2004, 09:20
Fat Tire beers are quite good, Nestor. As is JW Dundee's Honey Brown Lager. Now, for th efinest beer onthe planet IMHO, you have to go to Belgium proper. Find Chimay blue label (Grande Reserve). It's about 8$/bottle USD, but WELL worth the cost. It's only for special occasions in our house though.

SoDFW Jason
01-06-2004, 10:08
Nestor,

Why don't you just pack up the family and come over for a visit so we can introduce you to the wonders of the USA? I'm sure there are enough GTers who would put you up(myself included) while you're here.

noway
01-06-2004, 10:39
Another good american beer that's gaining a big following is the Sierra Nevada. This stuff is one of the most common available beer outside of the Coors/Miller/Busch offerings.

BTW: The best beer is Warnsteiner Dark ( Dunkel ) or Spaten Dark Both of thoose 2 beers are 10x better than anything produce in the USA from the big top commerical beer producers.

But once again Belgium and France have some of the best brewed Ales.

For the french, Jade /Pietra/Fischer Traditional Ale are some of my best picks.

From Belgium, any of the true monstery abbey ales including chimay but I perfer Nostradomos, Val Dieu or Duval over Chimay any time of the week.

hispeedlodrag, I 'm buying some of that stuff tonight. I've always seen the Fat Tire Ale and thougt it was an import.

just my 0.02...

nickg
01-06-2004, 10:48
Originally posted by Dragline

yessir!! excellent beer. my neighbor turned me on to it. me and the wife went through a few during the summer while sitting in the pool.

i don't know if it's available anywhere other than PA though. you can't even get it just going right across the state line in Ohio to the drive thru.

noway
01-06-2004, 13:04
{ i don't know if it's available anywhere other than PA though. you can't even get it just going right across the state line in Ohio to the drive thru.}

My local Publix grocery strore carrys it next to the JW dundee and other hardly drunk stuff. It is good and cheaper than less say Bass,Henneiken,Negra Modelo or ESB. Good stuff goes down good in a frosted mug.

pellertpale
01-06-2004, 13:36
Originally posted by hispeedlodrag

YES! A friend's, friend brought some to us in Indiana.

pellertpale
01-06-2004, 13:40
Try'em all! No regrets.

Even though you are looking for a not so bitter beer, I still suggest Ol' Woody Pale Ale-Ft. Wayne, IN. The label resembles the avatar.

Nestor
01-06-2004, 14:34
Originally posted by SoDFW Jason
Nestor,

Why don't you just pack up the family and come over for a visit so we can introduce you to the wonders of the USA? I'm sure there are enough GTers who would put you up(myself included) while you're here.

I wish I could do it, but travel to US now it's too expensive for us. First I can't have a free day from work. Second my great government want about 50% of my profits, and we helping our family too sometimes, so it's impossible for financial reason too. But it's my dream. Some day it will become reality even if it's hard to belive for me now...Thank you SoDFW Jason. ;Y

OXCOPS
01-06-2004, 14:39
Ya know. Hearing Shoeless explain the process, you would think that she did more than work in a brewpub!

Mr. Shoe---->^1<----Shoeless

;f

Dragline
01-06-2004, 16:16
Originally posted by nickg
yessir!! excellent beer. my neighbor turned me on to it. me and the wife went through a few during the summer while sitting in the pool.

i don't know if it's available anywhere other than PA though. you can't even get it just going right across the state line in Ohio to the drive thru.

It's available pretty much all over Jersey. Parts of NY too.
My cousine in Mich. says they can't get it there though.

hwyhobo
01-06-2004, 17:41
Nestor, there are dozens of excellent microbreweries in each region. You drink different beers depending on where you are. First rule, do not buy bottled beer, only on tap (draught), and only local. Then you will be able to retire traveling around the States sampling beers.

:)

kf4zra
01-06-2004, 20:30
gotta agree with ya. the yeungling black and tan is great. they brew it and bottle it less than a mile from my apt here in tampa. so next time you are in this neck of the woods, stop by the brewery. they do tours at 10am and 1pm and have free samples before and after the tour.

John

Originally posted by Shoeless
I love the Yuengling Black and Tan. Every time someone I know goes to Pennsylvania, I have them bring me a case. I now have four cases in my house! hee hee... it's delish!

Nestor, you are welcome! :)

Shoeless

ghostwn
01-06-2004, 20:34
Mojave Red, microbrewery outside Ridgecreast, CA......mighty tastee beer......;f Mojave Red

JPB
01-06-2004, 21:40
Many good ones mentioned. But here's one that's out this time of year. Deschutes Jubelale. If you can find it cask conditioned it is best. But the bottles are OK too.

f1b32oPTic
01-06-2004, 22:07
sam adams is always good

my favorite is petes wicked winter ale..
its very malty which i like but not heavy...i bought 2 6 packs and enjoyed them, when i went back for more i picked up another 2 6packs and the taste was somewhat different but still good...i must have had a real malty batch the first go around because the second 2 6 packs werent as sweet.

JD8
01-07-2004, 22:52
Originally posted by hispeedlodrag

Great stuff.

WFR
01-08-2004, 00:20
Yuengling Lager!
Is to PA what sweet tea is to GA!

lethal tupperwa
01-08-2004, 18:59
A Pa. beer Genny light.

01-08-2004, 19:43
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................Sweet Tea.........

Why is that only a southern thing? I sure miss it.

colorado23
01-08-2004, 21:14
Where are all you Fat Tire fans from. I didn't know it was so popular. The brewery is not that big. We have at least 6 microbreweries and Budweiser all in little Fort Collins with 150k people. It's great!

tSuperflyTNT
01-09-2004, 08:35
Best American beer?

So it has to be American, eh?

Root Beer.

Fat Tire is pretty good but it's no Molson.

If it's gotta have alcohol and isn't Canadian, you're just drinking pisswater

jawjaboy
01-10-2004, 07:09
Nestor...Try Miller High Life if you ever run across any. High Life is not hopped as much as most beers, therefore giving it a less bitter effect, as you say you like. As of 2003, High Life has been around for 100 years. It's not a "trendy" beer these days, but our grandfathers sure liked it. Cheers!

jason10mm
01-14-2004, 12:42
Man, you guys haven't tried a REAL beer until you have sucked down Arrogant Bastard or Real Ale Sisyphus.... :) Don't say I didn't warn you though!

I like the Anchor Old Foghorn, that stuff is like 12%, it will drop you like a rock. It is more like wine than beer. JW Dundee's is real good, as is the Breckenridge winter ale. Anyone know of a real good American stout on the order of Youngs Double Chocolate, Guiness, or Mackieson XXX? If it isn't blacker than tar and thicker than syrup, I don't like it ;f

gibbons025
01-15-2004, 06:29
I cut Barley in Montana for a Custom Harvesting Crew for Coors.
It was a great time being able to learn how we harvest the Barley, its alot diffrent then cutting wheat if anyone knew that.
They are very very very very picky about there Barley.
If anyone would like to know all about it ask it here or PM me, I would be more then happy to share this info with them.

noway
01-15-2004, 09:41
Another good american beer that their black&tan is similiar to Yuenglings is Saranac. Their black&tan is more smooth but with more of a head if you don't pour it right or pour it too warm (yuck).

I find a good frosted glass and 2 bottles of this is the way to go on a good warm Florida night

cheers..

{Fat Tire is pretty good but it's no Molson.}

Molson isn't all of that, but Canadian Molson is alot better than most american commercial brews.

BTW: The store that I frequent told me Fat Tire is NOt available in FL due to shipping and refrigerations issues...So darn I'm still looking.
:(

KinderGlocken
01-15-2004, 16:20
Any beer from Sierra Nevada (SierraNevada.com) hands down. They are 5.6%, most American beers are 3% to 4%. Sirra Nevada Beer found in most beer savy stores/bars are; Pale Ale, Porter and Stout. If I'm drinking American beer most of the time it will be Sierra Nevada. And for non American beers I like Guiness, Bass and New Castle.

P.S. I tried them all, I got a gut to prove it!

honkydory
01-16-2004, 02:42
Redhook ESB!!
Or most other Redhook beers. Redhook is a classic "micro" that actually found a distribution channel.

Some good rules of thumb:

1. Stay away from anything with a howling animal on the can*

2. Anything called "the champagne of beers" surely isn't

3. Most beers from the Northwest (Washington, Oregon, even some Northern Cali...ok, there are even some in canada), and Colorado are good. Problem, most are micros (thus hard to get out side of the area).

4. Enjoy trying them all!

*"Moose Drool" is an exception to the animal rule

Can't forget...

Chicago also has good beer

most american beers worth drinking will have a higher alc. content (5+)

Stay away from Utah

01-20-2004, 12:06
Nestor - when you come to the US, come to Texas, try out our ShinerBock....

Drjones
01-20-2004, 23:46
Coors light and Michelob Ultra.

Best stuff made. :)

JHS
01-22-2004, 05:12
Coor's origanial;?

Mick ultra ain't bad.

Shiners Brock is OK.

Best beer in the whole wide world is;

FREE BEER!!!! ;?

mindonmatter
01-25-2004, 03:07
Fat Tire was always one of my favorites. Haven't had any since I moved out of CO though :(

Nestor
01-28-2004, 06:01
Thank you again for all ideas - I can see a lot of fun for me in the future ;Y

JPB
01-28-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by jawjaboy
Nestor...Try Miller High Life if you ever run across any. High Life is not hopped as much as most beers, therefore giving it a less bitter effect, as you say you like. As of 2003, High Life has been around for 100 years. It's not a "trendy" beer these days, but our grandfathers sure liked it. Cheers!

This is my favorite dirt cheap beer. I know it isn't good, but I love it in the clear botles ice cold. I have always liked it. I remember getting a case of it underage in high school. I like their obnoxious ads. My favorite mexican restaurant serves it on tap in 32 oz glasses. I know better. But I can't resist the guilty pleasure of this cheap blue collar union made macrobrew.

JPB
01-28-2004, 12:02
Originally posted by honkydory

4. Enjoy trying them all!

*"Moose Drool" is an exception to the animal rule

Stay away from Utah

I agree. Moose Drool is good. About Utah, have you tried those new SLC micros that poke fun at the LDS influence on Utah? They have Polygamy Porter and St. Provo Girl. I have not tried them but the packaging is entertaining.

Skyhook
01-28-2004, 12:11
Ah, yes-s-s-ss, Polygamy Porter! Ya jest cain't have one.:cool:

I am really surprised nobody said he or she liked Iron City! And how about Frothing Slosh.. the pale, stale ale with the foam on the bottom!? BElCh!;g ;f

TFC
02-05-2004, 13:17
Here on the central coast of Kalifornia they brew
Firestone Double Barrel Ale. Mighty fine. Along the lines of Pete's Wicked Ale. I like it alot. John

VinniefromNY
02-05-2004, 14:39
Kokanee
Black Butte Porter and Obsidian Stout (both from Deschutes Brewing Co.)

Miller High Life
Mississippi Mud (a black and tan...comes in a bottle that looks like a moonshine jug)