Best Chicago pizza in Chicago [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicago pizza in Chicago

CranialCrusader
01-05-2004, 22:48
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine is coming in from California in a couple days and I promised we would go to 'the best' pizza place in Chicago.

The only problem is I don't know who makes 'the best'.

What is your opinion on the best Chicago pizza in Chicago?

Thanks all,
CranialCrusader

JPB
01-05-2004, 23:12
My opinion is Lou Malnati's since that's what I grew up on. Many don't agree w/ that. But tough.;) No pepperoni BTW. Either sausage or cheese. Had some fedexed as a gift recently. It was good, but not as good as in the restaurant. It loses out in transit. At least it better because if not it has slipped some. But the taste was fine, just crust texture and stuff was off after the freeze.

Also take him for italian beef and hotdogs.

ysr_racer
01-05-2004, 23:26
I vote for Edwardos for number 1, Gino's East for number 2.

Rehab Doc
01-05-2004, 23:30
If you want the best Chicago style pizza, then u want to go to Gino's East. It's located on the corner of Wells St. and Ontario St., right across the street from Ed Debevic's.

CranialCrusader
01-05-2004, 23:59
So out of three replies so far I've got 3 choices for #1. ;P

That's a lot of Pizza to eat!

Keep them coming and thanks again!
CranialCrusader

Cynthia
01-06-2004, 00:00
been to Gino's back in 97....VERY GOOD!!! Highly recommend it!

CranialCrusader
01-06-2004, 00:03
Slight problem with Gino's East.

According to Yellow pages there are MANY places with Gino's East in the name.

Original Gino's East of Chcgo
Gino's East Pizzeria
Gino's East of Chicago
Original Gino's East
Gino's East
Gino's East of Rolling Meadows
Gino's East Pizza

Which one is the real one?

CranialCrusader

drstrangelove
01-06-2004, 00:09
Gino's East (Original)
633 N. Wells St., Chicago
Tel: (312) 943-1124

CranialCrusader
01-06-2004, 00:14
Originally posted by drstrangelove
Gino's East (Original)
633 N. Wells St., Chicago
Tel: (312) 943-1124

That's the top one on my list "Original Gino's East of Chicago"

Obviously someone was successful then a bunch of knockoffs came around.

CranialCrusader

drstrangelove
01-06-2004, 00:21
May I recommend: pepperoni, sausage, garlic, and black olive. Take a Prilosec before you eat. Lipitor also recommended.
Doc

CranialCrusader
01-06-2004, 00:24
Originally posted by drstrangelove
May I recommend: pepperon, sausage, garlic, and black olive. Take a prilosec before you eat.

Sounds good except for the Olives!

I don't need no stinkin' prilosec! BRING IT ON!!!

What's your office number in case I need to call though? ;a

CranialCrusader

ysr_racer
01-06-2004, 00:24
http://chicago.citysearch.com/best/results/8508/

http://www.digitalcity.com/chicago/pizza/

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/travel/Weekend/travelfeature_Chicagopizza_030627_CSM.html

Gino's is a chain. All the pizza is the same. I thought there was one on Ontario east of Lasalle?

Ned Ludd
01-06-2004, 00:27
I went back to Chicago after a 20-year absence last summer. I tried all the pizza I could. I went to the Original Gino's and to Lou Malnati's. However, the best is Uno. I can't tell you the street from memory but it's in the same general area (at least by LA standards) as Gino's Original. My favorite Greek restaurant--Greek Island.

BTW, if you are willing to refinance your house, you can have dinner at the best place in America, IMHO, Charlie Trotters.

Great town.

-NL

CranialCrusader
01-06-2004, 00:31
Originally posted by Ned Ludd

BTW, if you are willing to refinance your house, you can have dinner at the best place in America, IMHO, Charlie Trotters.

It's a pizza dinner not a marriage proposal. ;)

Thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind!

CranialCrusader

silversport
01-06-2004, 00:51
What???;P No vote for Pizzeria Uno or Due???
If you gotta have deep dish (and that IS Chicago, isn't it???)
Bill

jpa
01-06-2004, 00:51
Actually, Gino's is a chain but all except 1 are franchised. The original was actually on Ontario east of Michigan ave, but it appears they have moved to Wells and Ontario. The pizza is the same at all of them, I've been to Rosemont, Orland Park, Oak Lawn and downtown, it's all the same. If you want to show them the city take them to the one downtown. If you want one close to home, take I-80 West to Harlem and go North to 159th and go to the one in Orland.

I'm kinda partial to Connie's myself. I'm disappointed that so many of these good pizza places have gone corporate and the quality has dropped as a result. Leona's on Taylor is good, as are a few others. Eduardo's is that hippy flower child veggie pizza, leave that to the Californians where it belongs.

J Teezy
01-06-2004, 03:51
when i went last spring to visit a friend we had some stuffed pizza from some place that started with a D i think. If you named it i could tell you if you were right or not. It was the best pizza i ever had.

Glock-o-matic
01-06-2004, 07:04
Malnati's. It's the only thing I miss about living in Chicago.

mikep
01-06-2004, 07:46
I am partial to Pizzeria Uno for deep dish pizza- i believe that was the original chicago style pizza. Note this is different than stuffed pizza- for that I like Giordanos.
www.metromix.com is a good resource for Chicago restaurants

GeorgeAtl
01-06-2004, 08:09
I was "Home" for Christmas, and the first night we got a delivery pizza from a small independent....I believe it was called Pete's Pizza. Just a little hole in the wall...on the North Side.

Damn!! Was that thing good!! And there are tons of places like that in Chicago!!

Face it....Atlanta is not a pizza mecca!!

Cinic
01-06-2004, 08:13
The only pizza I've had in Chicago was a stuffed pizza from Giordanno's (sp). It was awesome.

agarr
01-06-2004, 09:13
Another great pizza place- Renaldi on 57th.

Best meal in Chicago- Gene and Georgetti.

silversport
01-06-2004, 09:24
Unos or Due...DOOOOO-AAAAAYYYYY! J Teezy...was it that???
Bill

ysr_racer
01-06-2004, 09:43
Originally posted by agarr

Best meal in Chicago- Gene and Georgetti.

I ate there a few years ago, I didn't care for it. I still think Ruth's Chris is a better meal.

84S
01-06-2004, 10:56
You have to get one of those Italian beef sandwich things while in Chicago and be prepared to have a bunch of beef juice run down your arm. They are awesome. The few times I have been to Chicago, I have really enjoyed Ginos pizza.

noway
01-06-2004, 13:32
Being that I'm a former westside Chicago resident I have to dis-approve of Connies, Lou Malnati, and Giordano.

The best pizza is a little hidden spot that's not a chain and been around for years.

Home Run Inn Pizza off of W.31st. truely the best pie made around Chicago.

i agreed that the italian beefs are what makes Chicago "Chicago" you go to NYC for pizza & coney islands and leaves the italian beefs & chicago dogs for Chicago.

Best made beef sandwich was like 2 blocks away from my apartment on Wolf Rd in HillSide just north of Cermak.

Charm's Beef.

Portillos and this new Buena Beef are good and as a matter of fact Buena Beef just open a store about 2 blocks south of Charm's on Wolf & Cermak Rd since my last trip back to Chi-town.

jpa
01-06-2004, 19:47
Originally posted by noway
Being that I'm a former westside Chicago resident I have to dis-approve of Connies, Lou Malnati, and Giordano.

The best pizza is a little hidden spot that's not a chain and been around for years.

Home Run Inn Pizza off of W.31st. truely the best pie made around Chicago.

i agreed that the italian beefs are what makes Chicago "Chicago" you go to NYC for pizza & coney islands and leaves the italian beefs & chicago dogs for Chicago.

Best made beef sandwich was like 2 blocks away from my apartment on Wolf Rd in HillSide just north of Cermak.

Actually I regret to inform you that Home Run Inn has infact "gone corporate". They have several restaurants, the frozen pizzas are available at Jewel and Dominicks and I think they're even relocating the original. Tis a shame, they used to have good pizza as well although I don't think they've gotten as bad as some of the others.

I completely forgot about Lou Malnati's pizza though, very good stuff. I've never had Charm's beef but Parisi's on 63rd and about Austin is good stuff. Portillos is good, but again, gone corporate. Such a shame.

CranialCrusader
01-06-2004, 21:39
So much to choose from. We are going on Friday and my tummy is rumbling already.

Thanks everyone,
CranialCrusader

noway
01-07-2004, 08:26
{Actually I regret to inform you that Home Run Inn has infact "gone corporate". }

damm what a shame.

GeorgeAtl
01-07-2004, 08:32
Uno was doing franchises, for a while, and we had one here in Atlanta. Pizza was pretty good, but I've never had the "Original" so I had no basis for comparison.

They lasted maybe 2-3 years. They're gone:(

JPB
01-07-2004, 10:11
Originally posted by GeorgeAtl
Uno was doing franchises, for a while, and we had one here in Atlanta. Pizza was pretty good, but I've never had the "Original" so I had no basis for comparison.

They lasted maybe 2-3 years. They're gone:(

Uno franchises served terrible pizza compared to good Chicago pizza. Yeah, it was better than Pizza Hut or Dominoes, but there is no comparison. It was mediocre pizza.

Mild Bill
01-08-2004, 18:40
Dibs on Crusader's Prilosec!

;c

CranialCrusader
01-08-2004, 22:05
Originally posted by Mild Bill
Dibs on Crusader's Prilosec!

;c

It's all yours! ;g

CranialCrusader

Lone Wolff
01-08-2004, 22:11
If you love Garlic, then Uno's/Due's are great. If you love CHEESY, then go with Gino's. Lou Malnati's is also very comparable with Uno's/Due's, but not quite as heavy on the Garlic, IMHO.

Wish I was there to join you.

c5367
01-08-2004, 23:35
You can't go wrong with Pizzeria Uno, Due, or Gino's East. All have some fantastic Chicago style pizza. Due takes my vote for the best though. If I lived closer, I'd be 50 lbs heavier right now.

CranialCrusader
01-08-2004, 23:52
Well I went over the choices with my friend and we decided to go with Gino's. All the posts were taken into consideration as well as the reviews posted.

The rest of your suggestions will be taken up by my other friends and me at some point in the near future. I live only 90 minutes from Chicago, so occasional trips are made.

Thanks again,
CranialCrusader

ysr_racer
01-13-2004, 09:06
So, how was it?

CranialCrusader
01-13-2004, 09:40
Quite good I must say. Definately some of the better pizza I've ever had.

We went to Gino's East and got sausage and cheese. There was too much sausage on the pizza though, more than I'm use to.

Gonna try some of the other places soon!

Thanks for everything,
CranialCrusader

01-13-2004, 12:50
The best pizza in Chicago is http://www.grimaldis.com/brooklyn.htm

Hey,youz guys in Chicago have great hot doggies, but leave the pizza to New Yoorkers.

Bruce ( from Philly )

Saturn
01-15-2004, 19:20
Definitley Gino's East.