Mental Note: Never hug a grizzley bear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mental Note: Never hug a grizzley bear

mpol777
01-06-2004, 13:37
If you're going to be an eco-freak stick to tree hugging. It's much safer.

Report: Fatal Alaska bear attack occurred in daytime

Associated Press
Jan. 6, 2004 11:45 AM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The grizzly bear that killed bear activists Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard attacked them at their campsite at midday, not at night as was widely believed, according to a National Park Service report.

The report, released Dec. 29 by a Katmai National Park investigative board, says the attack began at 1:58 p.m. Oct. 5. The time is based on a date stamp found in a digital video camera the couple turned on just before the attack.

The digital video contains the sounds of the attack but no pictures, apparently because the lens cap was on. *NOTE: Doh!! *

It was previously assumed the couple were surprised by a grizzly in camp at night, and that Treadwell left their tent to confront the bear.

"I don't know what to say now," said John Schoen, a bear authority with the Audubon Society in Alaska. "Were they in their tent asleep, taking a nap or something? Did they try to lure the bear in? Who knows?"

"I guess it makes it in my mind probably less likely that it was some sort of misunderstanding and more likely he provoked the bear," said Bruce Bartley of the Alaska Fish and Game Department.

Treadwell and Huguenard are believed to have been killed by a 1,000-pound adult male grizzly. Park rangers later killed the bear believed to be the one that attacked after it charged them when they went to the camp to investigate. Fish and Game biologist Larry Van Daele removed Treadwell's remains from the bear's stomach.

Alaska State Troopers who arrived on the scene later found the pictureless videotape with the sounds of the attack and journals kept by the couple. Troopers have refused to discuss the documents.

Van Daele said he is sticking with his original conclusion: that Treadwell and Huguenard died because of the poor choice of a campsite on a bear throughway and the chance encounter there with a bear that had a bad attitude.

noway
01-06-2004, 14:16
I would pay to get a audio of the actually attack. Too bad he/she left the cap on. This easily could have been the next faces of death video.

ILikeFtLbs
01-06-2004, 17:54
The best way to avoid being attacked by a Grizzly is to carry bells and pepper spray, so you don't surprise them accidentally, and you can scare them off if they come too close.

How do you tell if a grizzly in the area? Check the droppings on the ground. If it has bells in it and smells like pepper, it's a grizzly.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

mhambi
01-06-2004, 18:08
interesting story about treadwell

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Jan/01052004/utah/126305.asp

check! no hugging grizzlys.

Dan in Alaska
01-07-2004, 13:25
This has been on the local news a lot lately. Treadwell doesn't seem to have many fans in Alaska. Most of the news stories seem to focus on how stupid/careless his actions were concerning bears. Many wildlife officers in Alaska continue to warn people not to do the things he did.

There were a number of bear attacks and deaths in Alaska this past summer and fall hunting season, but Treadwell's was the most widely publicized.