Speaking on landings... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speaking on landings...

hcook
01-08-2004, 12:34
Here's one I wouldn't want to have experienced, although an ugly landing is (normally) better than a crash.

Scary landing video (http://www.georgealarm.com/doug/cj_30972.wmv)

;P

hapuna
01-08-2004, 12:44
Was there something wrong with that landing??????? ;f

Actually I was going to the out islands in Tahiti using the local commercial jet service and every landing they did involved rocking the wings 30 to 40 degrees about 20 feet above the runway. I was thinking we were going to die until I saw the locals calmly sitting in their chairs as if everything was normal. Apparently it was...as the next 2 landings were identical.

ateamer
01-08-2004, 14:20
That video has shown up on other websites and there has been discussion that it was not an airliner, but a radio-controlled model. A large jet wouldn't porpoise like that, and some of the proportions seemed a little off.

hcook
01-08-2004, 14:50
Just noticed that I mistyped the title of the thread... should have been "Speaking of landings..." ;Q

Regarding whether it's a RC, check out the smoke coming from the tires upon touchdown. I'm not a pilot or an expert by any stretch, but I've never seen a RC's tires do that.

Wulfenite
01-09-2004, 08:18
I think somthings fishy too. I dont think the nose of a real 737 could bounce up and down like that; too much mass. I just cant imagine what forces would be necessary to accelerate and decelerate the nose of the craft that quickly.

joey'sGlock23
01-09-2004, 08:34
fake

mbsigman
01-09-2004, 09:14
Looks more like an A319 than a 737 to me.

Mike

Wulfenite
01-09-2004, 11:20
Whatever, I dont think an A319 could bounce like that either.

Superfueler
01-09-2004, 14:08
I'm going with fake on that one cause:

Never seen that airline before
No way that nose could bounce like that
The whole plane just seems a bit off, and I am around them 40 hours a week.

Bushflyr
01-09-2004, 21:08
It also doesn't look like the main struts compress at all. I also think a nose impact that violent would probably collapse the nose gear. (esp. on a Scairbus)

Glenairguy
01-10-2004, 13:51
Tower: Leaving the impact area, contact ground 121.9.

Medpilot 2
01-10-2004, 15:09
I say R/C plane too. The smoke under the wheels on impact has me a little curious though.

hercules
01-11-2004, 12:10
That video looks like it is made with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002.

Alchemy
01-11-2004, 12:27
couldn't get the video to play, ggggrrrr.....But you know what
they say "Any landing that you walk away from is a good landing"

DaYC-Ent
01-13-2004, 06:17
i thought it was just sped up, but looking closely at it, the nose strut does compress. NOT MUCH, but it still compresses. besides that, we don't know the whole story. just the few seconds of that particular landing. maybe it was a test for a new landing gear, or a trainee pilot. either way, real or not, it's still pretty funny to watch. reminds me of videos of that airport in Hong Kong.

Medpilot 2
01-13-2004, 07:09
True, it does look like it has been sped up. The smoke comming off the wheels comes up faster then normal smoke would.

Fraser
01-14-2004, 15:10
Was that a landing or were they shot down?

20pilot
01-14-2004, 19:57
A few other possibilities:

Could be a stunt flight for a movie or TV show.

Could be an aircraft coming in with control system problems.

Could be a test of a new system for control or autoland.

The smoke from the wheels makes a RC model an unlikely possibility. The video is clearly professionally or semi-professionally done (sped up, sound added etc), so my bet would be for a stunt.

C150J
01-14-2004, 20:12
According to my brother, who is a professional CG guy, it's CG. Real background, but the plane is Lightwave.

J.

DaYC-Ent
01-15-2004, 04:52
my question is why were these guys filming this landing in the first place? would that be a great spot to sit and watch all of the crazy landings that happen on a regular basis? is a friend coming in on that plane? personal video camera footage of some kind of test? or as others said, maybe a practice run for a stun, or a stunt itself? the possibilities are endless, but i'm truly amazed that c150j's brother thinks it's CG. i would like to hear him comment on this. no offense to c150j, but that's not CG and your brother must not be that much of a professional if he thinks it is.

Patriot328
01-15-2004, 08:56
Originally posted by DaYC-Ent
no offense to c150j, but that's not CG and your brother must not be that much of a professional if he thinks it is.

There's no way that's real... it's impossible... coulpe of questions (that may have been answered)

A) Why does the nose gear smoke more than once? It shouldn't, as after the first bounce it would up to speed.

B) Why is there no flex in the wings and tail from landing? I guaruntee there would be some of that with an impact of such force..

C) No thrust reverers?

D) No spoilers or other flight control movements?

E) Why didn't the *E$# nose gear collapse?? It's not meant to be hit that hard!

Look at this landing: http://www.funvids.net/funny-video-clips/player/353/Nice-landing.htm

Now that's real.

C150J
01-15-2004, 09:56
DayC,

Look at some of the helicopter shots in "Bad Boys II" - if you think that's amateur, I don't know what's professional:). I'm not trying to be rude, but how many turbine landings have you logged? Although I've only a little time in a C-550, my previous five years of flying tells me that's not real. So, if my brother, who works for Digital Domain says it's CG, I'm going to have to go with him.

Just backing up what he said - not trying to be mean.

J.

DaYC-Ent
01-15-2004, 11:09
well, i'm going to stand down for the moment, as the link to the vid is not working. (work computer) so in response to patriot, i understand the forces at work on an aircraft during different situations (wings flexing, gears collapsing, etc) and yes, i've seen numerous stress related accidents with slightly smaller aircraft (4 years on aircraft carriers) but that's why i'm standing down until i can see the video again. and yes, i have seen nose wheels smoke more than once - on fighters AND transports AND commercial.
C150j - funny you should mention BB II, we just finished watching that in the lab. good movie, by the way. great graphics, but you could tell it was CG. and i return to my comment to Patriot. if your brother works for a pro company, and he says it's real, then i say kudos on the sharp eye. i'm not a pro, i don't make CG, i haven't flown in years, and never had seat time in a turbine. so if you would kindly attch a link to the video, i'll take another look.

but before i go, i would like to refer to a previous post on this subject which i made. it's a funny video, regardless of if it's real, RC, or CG. leave it at that and quit wasting your time on it until you can find the guy that MADE the video. otherwise, we all look like @$$e$ for arguing about something which none of us has any solid evidence about something someone found on the INTERNET!

anyway. could someone provide me with a link, please. thanks!
Dorian.

C150J
01-15-2004, 12:32
Haha, I totally agree with you. I wasn't even going to post, but from your previous threads, I knew you wouldn't be the kind of person to start the proverbial "internet argument." Anyways, if I come across anything, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks!
J.

Texas T
01-15-2004, 17:44
Originally posted by Patriot328
Look at this landing: http://www.funvids.net/funny-video-clips/player/353/Nice-landing.htm ;P ;P ;P

Where was that taken?

T

Medpilot 2
01-15-2004, 19:52
Originally posted by Texas T
;P ;P ;P

Where was that taken?

T

I saw that vid a few years ago. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was shot somewhere over in Japan. I could be wrong.

pick
01-15-2004, 22:33
Originally posted by Medpilot 2
I saw that vid a few years ago. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was shot somewhere over in Japan. I could be wrong.

I've seen that vid also, somewhere in this link:

http://www.najaco.com/aviation/videos/videos.htm

A lot of the vids are entertaining or educational or downright cool (shock wave from sound barrier), but there are many that just end badly.

This is one of my favorites, listen to the pilot dialogue just before the excitement begins:

http://www.najaco.com/aviation/videos/videos_9/1.htm

F14Scott
01-19-2004, 22:45
Originally posted by Medpilot 2

I think that must have been Hong Kong. I never flew into the commercial airport, Kaitak, there myself, but I recall hearing of the approach that was called the Hong Kong Curve. IIRC, one flew most of final 30 degrees off of runway heading and then did a varsity turn in close to land.

Wulfenite
01-20-2004, 11:59
FWIW I pulled up the new Hong Kong airport in Flight Simulator the runway surroundings for 35R, including that little spit of land across the bay that you can see right at the beginning of the clip (upper right corner), all seem to match.

DaYC-Ent
01-20-2004, 12:02
isn't that the same airport that you see all the pictures of 747's crabbing like 30 or 40 degrees? just insane stuff!

SlimlineGlock
02-07-2004, 07:21
That video was taken at the old Hong Kong runway. The new runway is now on a man-made island in the bay by Lan Tau island.

The hold-short line to the runway there is back about 200 feet just because of all the overshoots there.

It's the billboard approach; fly the ILS course and glideslope to a hillside with a red/white checkered billboard on it. At 300 feet MSL or so, (DH) make a 47 degree right turn to line up with the runway and land. The billboard is probably around 200 feet MSL itself, which means you are sliding down a ridgeline all the way to the runway.

At the DH, you see the red/white VASI off to the right and realize you need to roll into a descent so you don't go high. You see apartment buildings flashing by almost on your right wingtip; laundry on the balconys, I have seen TVs through the windows.... The tendency is to want to keep a level turn because of all the buildings you see are so CLOSE to your wingtip. If you delay going into the turn, you may need well over 30 degrees of bank to avoid an overshoot. There are cocktail bars set up in the neighborhood just to watch the airline aerobatics.

This guy made several mistakes to get in this position. He also made an incredible flare and use of rudder for the "landing." However, it looks like physics took over after touchdown with some blown tires and a scraped engine pod at the least.