Florida Hogs Anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Florida Hogs Anyone?

redskyzatknight
01-08-2004, 16:25
Anyone interested, drop a note here. I will be using a 10mm, a 610 or a 20. I have talked to a few of you in the past but hav'nt got it together. I'm in N. Florida but am in S. Florida twice a month. I have a few places that offer private hunts in mind. If you have a lease or own land, we could work something out as well. noway, please chime in with knowledge or advice. One of my New Year's resolutions was to take a hog or two before spring to fill my freezers and see what this 10mm will do to a 150-250# mammal. I'm getting a piggy, hope you join me. The hunt will be safe and legal.

noway
01-08-2004, 17:00
I have a rservation on Seminole reservation this March., but I would be more than happy todo something earlier if you have a candidate already lined up.

One other guide service that I heard about was outwest farms new the tip of Okeechobee.

http://www.outwestfarms.com/

paulithepin
01-08-2004, 17:06
I've never hunted Hog successfully, but I'm interested. Where in North Florida are you located? I'm in Navarre Beach.

redskyzatknight
01-08-2004, 17:07
noway, hey there, glad to hear you're up. The site you linked to said the hunt will be conducted with your choic of rifle, bow or shotgun. Does'nt sound like we're welcome there? The place by Lake O is $150/hunter in couples and theres a place in Palatka thats about the same. This place is in my backyard: www.crackerswamp.com

redskyzatknight
01-08-2004, 17:10
I'm in St. Johns County. Glad you're interested. There is usually a 50% refund if you don't put something down. Plus no tip for the "guide" but I'm guessing we'll score.

davesglock30
01-08-2004, 18:38
i really, really , really want to go hog hunting!!! the problem is is that i work f^%&ed up days so i don't have actual weekends off and i have to request vacation a month or more in advance(i work in a state prison). i am thinking about going out near cedar key cause it's close to me and i've heard from a few people that it's slap full of hogs! i've heard great things about hog hunting in S. florida but that's a really long drive. i'm working with a guy right now about letting me and some friends hunt on his land in lake county that he says is over run with hogs. if i find out more about this land i'll let you guys know(if the owner doesn't mind).

redskyzatknight
01-08-2004, 19:17
Great Dave, the more the merrier (and hopefully cheaper), let us know what your plans are.

kf4zra
01-08-2004, 20:12
never been hunting b4, is this using rifles, pistols, or trapping them?

never wanted to kill anything that looks friendly, but i could get a hog w/no prob. those things are mean and nasty.

i would need to have someone show me how to dress it and everything, i could definately help eat it :)

John

redskyzatknight
01-08-2004, 21:11
You're in. It's that easy folks! I really look forward to meeting ya'll. As far as dressing goes, that's part of the fun! Actually, if we go the private land hunt, it's always included in the fee. Let's start throwing dates around so I can get an idea of when to get off. I'll work around everyones schedules if we can do this by the end of Feb. Rifles, shotguns, bows AND HANDGUNS will be allowed where we hunt.

Dan
01-08-2004, 21:44
Originally posted by redskyzatknight
One of my New Year's resolutions was to take a hog or two before spring to fill my freezers

How are they to eat? I always wanted to try some. One day I will go hunting for them! You guys have fun. Post some pics when you get them.

kf4zra
01-08-2004, 23:11
ive seen the nasty looking teeth on those hogs. im a decent pistol shot, but i miss, i dont think i would want to trust the stopping power of a pistol , specially when those teeth are attached to 200 lbs of fast moving pissed off meat.

are you guys usin all kinds of fancy optics? as of this very moment, i dont have anything scoped, but ill have a dragunov clone here in a couple more weeks. or would a mosin nagant or mauser serve me better? am i gonna get laughed at for bringing a milsurp?

John

noway
01-09-2004, 09:06
{about going out near cedar key cause it's close to me and i've heard from a few people that it's slap full of hogs! }

Don't froget about Ocala NF. Plenty of hogs and deer. If you like another area that should still be closeby, you ought to look in to AvonPark Bomb range and request to get on the lottery/draw. I was out their last weekend scouting.

It's full of deer & full or hogs.

{How are they to eat? I always wanted to try some.}

Very very lean & fat free pork. It's no where as juicey as regular farm raise pork and can be quite dry if you over cook it.Depending on age and sex it might have a slight odor when cooking it. BUT I just add more seasoning & spices and it all equals out to being good. ;cool

{ive seen the nasty looking teeth on those hogs. im a decent pistol shot, but i miss, i dont think i would want to trust the stopping power of a pistol , specially when those teeth are attached to 200 lbs of fast moving pissed off meat.}

When you "start a shootin" the hogs starts 2 running. Don't worry about the teeth, the tusk is what you don't want. trust me, most storys of hogs chargin you is blown way out of exaggeration.

redskyzatknight
01-09-2004, 11:47
I'll be using good ole' iron sights. Dogs will probobly be used and the shots we take will PROBOBLY be close.

davesglock30
01-09-2004, 15:25
actually the ocala NF doesn't have squat for hogs anymore, not much for deer either. they waaaay overhunted the hogs in the OCF and now you are VERY lucky to even see a few moving around let alone large packs of them. i live in the OCF on lake george right up the road from silver glenn. the black bears are really coming strong though! i see probably one every other week on my way to work. but the hogs are all but gone.:(

Dogbite
01-09-2004, 23:51
Wild hog tastes great!!!I have had bb-que and a meat loaf made of it---man--could eat my body weight in this stuff.

haneym
01-23-2004, 10:33
redskyz, thats cool im in st johns county too. i have always wondered about how hog tastes, ive had farm raised pork a lot but never wild. if anyone finds some local places to hunt, post up, i would be interested! i also want to go turkey hunting in the spring as ive never been. from what i can tell though, you have to enter for a quota drawing in the fall and be chosen if you want to hunt public lands. the only person i know with lots of land and turkeys, i cant hunt there.

noway
01-23-2004, 12:03
{ i also want to go turkey
hunting in the spring as ive never been.
from what i can tell though, you have to
enter for a quota drawing in the fall and
be chosen if you want to hunt public
lands. }

FYI:

You can always hunt the none quota wild life areas that are open for spring turkeys. Also not all of the quotas have been picked up so, you can always contact your nearest division of FWC and see if you can apply for them.

P.S> I'm hunting gobblers near Kissimmee and Est of Tampa

Kissimmee is Public access and the Tampa location is private land.

redskyzatknight
01-23-2004, 18:00
Yep, private is the way to go. No seasons and B.S. and $ it costs anyway, I don't know. Theres a place in Palatka that is linked up above too. I remember living out west when I started hunting and it was a hell of alot easier to get to, score and stay legal. I'm still up BTW, I'm waiting on my belated shpment of DT. :)

widmn
01-25-2004, 13:46
I'm in Tampa and I'd like to go, but not hunt. I have a G29, but I just want to learn the first time. Especially about dressing out and all. I have heard they stink and also carry Brucellosis so you should where rubber gloves when dressing. I just want to watch and learn what its all about then go hunt later. I'm willing to help dress it out, etc. for the experience. I would even be willing to video the hunt if you need that so as not to be totally useless.

www.southernblades.com

j_ratliffe
01-25-2004, 20:20
there's nothing better than eatin' wild, all natural hog meat. i think it tastes much better than domestic pig. there would be plenty of hog and deer in the ocala forest if it wasn't for the asspipe poachers. hopefully these low life scumbags will be caught and put away for a long time. then the animal population might have a chance to recover so us legit hunters can continue to eat the excellent wild hog.

noway
01-26-2004, 09:24
agreed.

as far as brucellois, just wash up after dressing and wearing big latex gloves are helpful.Cook meat fully.

Another good pulic area for hogs are at a WMA called Kicco off of SR60 and just west of the Kissimiee river, about 30miles West of Yeehaw junction.

I was told ( not confirmed yet ) that they where planning on a May special hog hunts after spring turkey to reduce the hog population in that area. If I get this confirm, I will post the information here. All you would need is a State Hunting lic and WMA area permit.

best access is via airboat but you can hike it in or even mt bike it down the roads to get closer to the action. With the river reconstruction project and expected river rising, the hogs will surely move out of the wet marsh into high ground and into the hammocks.

Nalapombu
02-19-2004, 01:30
I have been in Myakka State Forest and saw plenty of them. I did see a BIG sow with a litter trailing behind her. From what I heard they pay a guy to go in and get them. He gets so much per hog.
I have another great friend that lives around Punta Gorda and there is an overwhelming amount of private land down there, each house sits on 5 acres. When I spent the night we could hear the hogs in the greenbelt behind his house. I always thought about going down there and putting the lead to one, but just have never done it. I will do it someday though, whether I have to pay or go on private or public land, I'll get one.
One thing I did hear about them that maybe someone can confirm. I hear that those feral pigs love to eat oranges. They say that they roam around the groves and eat the oranges that fall to the ground or they will pick the low hanging oranges and eat them all day long. Has anyone ever heard that or know if it is true? If it is true, I know where I'll be going to hunt.

Nala

noway
02-19-2004, 09:20
Never heard of that, but I would not be surprise. But I do know that most hunting grounds close to orange groves have alot of hogs in them. I was cutting thru one oneday and a small (25lb) hogs nearly ran me over. I didn't see him and he didn't see me and nor was I expecting it.

I think in the peak of hunting seasons, the hogs take refugee in the citrus groves

FYI: lately in my drives along 441 and 98 in okeechoobee & highland counties, I 've seen some massive hogs killed on the roadside. I mean like 200lbs plus easily. So they are out their.