Turkey guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Turkey guns

onemilmhz
01-09-2004, 21:14
With deer season now over I am setting my sights on three Georgia gobblers come March. This will be my first season actually hunting turkey although I've been wanting and preparing to for a few years now. I have a Remmy 1100 Synthetic with a 28" barrel that I can use but was wondering about a few things. Almost all the "turkey guns" I've seen, that is, guns marketed for turkey hunting specifically, have been magnums with 24"-26" barrels. Do I need to step up to a magnum/super magnum for turkey or does it matter? About the only difference I can figure is the amount of shot put out by each and the better handling of a shorter barreled gun. I'm considering a camo 870 Super Mag and came close to buying one today. The only reason I waited was to do a little pricing and ask what some experienced turkey hunters thought!

Dan
01-09-2004, 22:38
Do you need a magnum to hunt turkeys? no. If you wanted to you could get a shorter barrel for your 1100 with a Full or Xtra full choke tube, or just tube the barrel you have now. Buy different loads and shot sizes to see what holds the tightest patern. Im not saying not to buy another shotgun, but might be cheaper ways around. I use the 3" mags in my Browning BPS. My dad uses a Mossberg 835 turkey gun. Hell, I can remember hunting turkey with my Ithaca 37 20 gauge. Can't wait till Gobbler season!!!

CanyonMan
01-10-2004, 19:17
onemilmhz,

See my reply to "noway," on page "2" on this board, called "Turkeys and 20ga."

HTH !

I'm also looking forward to another season.

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan