Mustard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mustard?

Branspop
01-10-2004, 23:24
What is the best mustard in your opinion?

The Pontificator
01-11-2004, 06:41
http://www.mustardmuseum.com/

I'm sure these folks probably have an opinion ;f

Mild Bill
01-11-2004, 09:58
Most mustards are great... Even Dijonaisse is wonderful...
I think that Grey Poupon is up there with the best...

Don't think it's an overly commercial "brand name"... they bought the rights (or something like that)
to the classic authentic Dijon recipe and have held true to it.

Cooks Illustrated magazine recently did a mustard rating and I think Poupon came in second...

I think it's spectacular...

But even Gulden's spicy brown is great...

On cold days, we make big pots of Puchero... It's a one pot meal kinda thing...
Hunks of beef, a few Chorizos, whole red potatoes, whole small onions, large chunks of celery and carrots...
Salt and pepper... or sometimes some Goya chicken bouillion...

Simmered for 4 hours... The meat softens and is EXCELLENT with good mustard...
Olive oil, salt and pepper for the other stuff...

It's a great meal!

Brisket chunks, shank meat with marrow bones, chuck roast, even corned beef... all are great for this thing...

Mild Bill
01-11-2004, 10:08
I just found the magazine...
Grey Poupon is "manufactured stateside by Nabisco in accordance with the original recipe from Dijon."

Which was #1 you asked?

ROLAND Extra Strong Dijon Mustard...
An American brand manufactured in France...

It seems to have been slightly more horseradishy than the poup...

That tasting comparison was only done with Dijons...

noway
01-11-2004, 10:45
I personally think the British Elseham Traditional mustard is the best for simple marinades

Or the true "Dijon" known as "Maille" Honey Dijon. And yes it is made in france.;)

General Sherman
01-11-2004, 15:53
Ah, a topic dear to my taste. Attached is a photo of the mustards and related sauce in my fridge at the moment.
The Coleman's English mustard has the most heat.
The Maille Dijon is one of my favorites.
The two labeled sweet are nice with most things and the Maurice Original is a BBQ sauce which is mustard based. It is sweet from apple cider.
One of my favorite food styles is French/German type pork dishes and the mustards complement them.

noway
01-11-2004, 21:03
Now "That's a lot of mustard"

I just took alook in my fridge and came up with only 4 brands

Gold
Gulden
Maille
Esleham

Branspop
01-11-2004, 23:47
General,

That sure is a lot of mustard....

Thanks for the replies. I have a recipe that calls for mustard, but the generic brand I used isn't quite good enough. I am looking for something good. The recipe calls for Dijon, but I may try to experiment.

SMUNK
01-11-2004, 23:54
Grey Poupon is by far my favorite. I LOVE THAT STUFF!!! WOW!!

I am so glad I din't have to stop buying it since it's made in the U.S.A. ;f

antediluvianist
01-12-2004, 05:23
I know this is somewhat off-topic,but try using wasabi instead of mustard. That green stuff really clears your sinusses! A wasabi hotdog is pretty good - well, it's an acquired taste!

fnfalman
01-12-2004, 12:39
I like an authentic Dijon mustard. The type that brings tears to my eys.:cool:

Glockerel
01-12-2004, 16:10
My favorite is a Jewish mustard called BA-TAMPTE.
It's a delicatessen mustard that's made in Brooklyn. I found it at a local deli. It's slightly coarse grained, just spicy enough and makes corned beef sandwiches and hot dogs sing.

noway
01-12-2004, 16:28
hey I had that mustard before.

Another good kosher mustard is Inglehoffe ( sp??) it is hot and well season. Does wonders to Pastrami cuts.

Phil306
01-12-2004, 19:22
Coleman's English Mustard

;3 ;3 ;3

Remander
01-12-2004, 22:29
Zatarains's Creole Mustard is fantastic. I love Coleman's, Poupon, etc, too; each mustard has its place with particular dishes.

Zat's is brown and spicy with coarse bits of seed in it and is GREAT for a sandwich on dark bread or a po-boy with zip.

http://www.zatarain.com/products/product.php/21/

harryrod
01-13-2004, 09:17
I know I will probably be burned at the stake as a heretic for even mentioning this but here goes,

LONG LIVE FRENCH'S YELLOW ~2

Branspop
01-13-2004, 22:42
OK, I picked up some Maille Dijon and am going to give that a try.

jason10mm
01-14-2004, 12:24
wow, great thread! I think mustard is highly underestimated by most americans (that thin yellow stuff...;0 ). I like mustard so laden with seeds that it comes out in chunks :) A little bit in a marinade adds a wonderful flavor to meat.

Medford4
01-14-2004, 14:57
I've always liked that mustard you find in Chinese restaurants that burn your nose so bad after you eat it that you're afraid to breathe. Do you know what I'm talking about? Where can I get some of that stuff, and what's it called?

Branspop
01-15-2004, 16:10
Thanks, folks. I tried the Maille Dijon today and it was closer to what I was looking for. I may try something just a wee tad stronger to give it my own touch.

CaptDoug04
01-18-2004, 17:00
Originally posted by harryrod
I know I will probably be burned at the stake as a heretic for even mentioning this but here goes,

Works for me!!!;f

The Pontificator
01-18-2004, 19:30
Originally posted by Medford4
I've always liked that mustard you find in Chinese restaurants that burn your nose so bad after you eat it that you're afraid to breathe. Do you know what I'm talking about? Where can I get some of that stuff, and what's it called?

S&B (Sun-Bird) Oriental Hot mustard (made in Japan).

It's powdered and comes in a small can. You mix a bit with water to form a paste.

I've bought it in Asian grocery stores but I'm sure that any decent supermarket with an Asian foods section might have it in stock.

Medford4
01-20-2004, 23:45
Thanks Ponti!!;a

Chopshopchopper
03-30-2005, 12:50
I got this Yellow Mustard from a dollar store in Ohio. It was a product of Mexico. Unfortanatly I forgot the name. However it was standard yellow mustarg with jalapenos finely diced up in it. It was great. Easy to make I would imagine.

grenadier
03-30-2005, 13:37
Most stone-ground brown mustards that have a good bit of horseradish, will do fine for me. Either that, or I'll take a coursely ground brown mustard, such as Plochmann's, grate some fresh horseradish root, and mix.

SouthernGal
03-30-2005, 13:42
Originally posted by noway
hey I had that mustard before.

Another good kosher mustard is Inglehoffe ( sp??) it is hot and well season. Does wonders to Pastrami cuts.

You're talking about Inglehoffer. It may even be spelled with an E rather than an I. I'm not sure.

What I do know is that I have a jar of it in the fridge right now and it's looking for a smoked venison sandwich ;f

pizzaaguy
03-30-2005, 13:55
Originally posted by Medford4

You can make your own.
Get some mustard powder. You'll find it in the spice isle or "chinese" food section at your market or specialty store.
Spoon out one or two spoonfuls into a small container.
Add warm water a little bit at a time to make a paste or add water to whatever thickness you prefer.
Add in a few drops of oil (canola or peanut) and mix thoroughly.

You might try different brands of mustard powder until you find the one that you really like. ;)

G21FAN
03-30-2005, 14:58
Originally posted by harryrod

AMEN!

Chopshopchopper
04-24-2005, 19:54
Il Primo Jalapeno Hot Mustard. Garden Row Foods Inc. Purchased from Value City for $3.97 for 18 FL. OZ. or (531ml)

Metric is better. When will the US switch?

DigiDuckie
04-25-2005, 07:24
+1 for French's a.k.a. the Original. :cool: Plochman's is good as well.

I also like French's Bold n' Spicy Brown Mustard.

I now feel like a bologna sandwich or some hot dogs.

Repo .44
04-15-2006, 14:58
There can only be one mustard. FRENCH'S

noway
04-15-2006, 16:42
:bigsmile: French brands really sucks.

10-32
04-15-2006, 17:15
For your standard mustard, I like Plochman's.

Silver Spring's Beer and Brat mustard is also very good. I bought some of their Jalapeno mustard, but I haven't tried it yet.

Mild Bill
04-15-2006, 19:52
Wow, a 2 year old resurrected thread!

Since then I tried 'Ditka's' spicy brown mustard and it sucked...
I figured da coach might know good mustard...

It has too much vinegar it seems... Not good atall...

I've been using Gulden's and Poupon mainly... Just this afternoon actually...

:beer:

Fireman64
04-15-2006, 19:53
Any that contains horseradishe.I love it!!