Saint Louis - Best on the Hill? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saint Louis - Best on the Hill?

General Sherman
01-11-2004, 15:09
Which family run Italian restaurant is the best on the "Hill" (the ethnic Italian section of St. Louis)?
Not the big fancy ones, but the little ones which are your favorites?
I get to go back there from time to time and pick out some unknown place which always turns out beyond my expectations.
What do you think, Saint Louisians?;d

noway
01-12-2004, 08:27
Not to hijack but that place that was on the corner of Forest Parkway and Skinner down from Delmar ( or how ever you spell it ) was pretty good.It has since moved and had a few good Italian chicken dish and their pizza where great.

Also to answer you question, any of the food places on Euclid in the central west end where good and that was when I was in St Louis last about 6 years ago. Also U City on Delmar had a few nice places just west of Blueberry Hill.

BTW: Saint Lou was not know for any BIG Italian immigrants but for their French and Germans, so if you want real good ethnic Italian food go to NYC or Chicago.

General Sherman
01-13-2004, 01:58
Skinker at Forest Parkway? Would that have been Meadarts? (Sp?)

The French were the original settlers because of the fur trade from the Missouri River and are long gone except for the street names, but the Germans and Italians are there, being more recent arrivals.
The Italian food is as authentic as it gets anywhere this side of Europe and can compete with Chicago and New York as far as I can tell.

noway
01-13-2004, 07:07
Not that's not the name. It was something like Tavala or something with a T.

{ The Italian food is as authentic as it gets anywhere this side of Europe and can compete with Chicago and New York as far as I can tell.}

I have 2 military friend ( in the SW/IL-St.louis area) who wifes are Italian and all they complain about are no good native foods in St Lou.

Compete wth NYC or Chicago, I think NOT! Not even close.