Sturgeon Fishing--What Do I Use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Fishing--What Do I Use?

forthehalibut
01-12-2004, 15:22
I am going to go fishing for Sturgeon in Wyoming in a few months. What set-up would be best--line, hooks, bait, rod action, etc? I hear some there are extremely big in a couple of areas, and would like to give them a shot. What is the best way to rig up the bait line? Any help is appreciated.:cool: :)

TriggerTripper
01-14-2004, 12:07
Don’t know if I can be much help…I’ve only been a couple of times, but I’ll tell you how we do it on the snake river. We use a stiff 8 foot rod with very heavy line, at LEAST 20lb test and often higher if you can get it, sturgeon don’t seem to be leader shy. (You’re going to need a sturgeon rod if you don’t have one, the typical salmon or steel head rod won't take the amount of pressure these fish will generate)

We bait it with an eel, which can be bought from the local shop, because its tough skin sits real solid on the hook and can take the abuse of river. (once set, you can hardly pry the thing off the hook ) We rig it up with the bait above the sinker, both tied to a swivel (as is common for catfish or normal bobber fishing) and throw it out into the biggest darkest pool there is. Sturgeon are territorial and will use the same holes all year, so the good holes are usually not well kept secrets. Use enough weight so that bait will just sit in the deepest part of the hole rather than of drifting the bait through the hole. Break out the sandwiches and chips and wait for the big bottom feeder to come find your bait!

Best of luck on the trip!

TT

mhambi
01-14-2004, 12:25
12 gauge, nothing smaller. :)

Craigster
01-15-2004, 10:24
This is the rig I use in the Columbia River. Using smelt or other bait fish, disconnect the leader from the swivel at the beads. Put the loop at the end of the leader over the flattened end of an 8” piece of coat hanger. Shove the wire/leader into the bait mouth and come out the belly about 2“ from its tail. Pull the leader until the hook is just out of the mouth and put three half hitches, about ½” apart, over the tail, re-attach to the swivel and go. Make up a few rigs so if the fishing gets fast you can be back in action quickly.

http://nwfish.com/images/graphics/allpurposerig%20(1).jpg(

I prefer braided line to mono on my reel. It is much stronger, tougher, sensitive and has less drag in current.

If you get a chance to eat any try 2” chunks in a light batter and deep fry using peanut oil. It’s the best.

Please take pics and post them.

Poohgyrr
01-15-2004, 10:31
Hmmm, I don't know the fishing regulations there. But when folks could keep whatever they caught here, well we have pictures of teams of mules being used to get sturgeon out of the Sacramento River. They make a good sized striper look small ;g ;c

forthehalibut
01-28-2004, 19:53
Thanks all for the help. I was thinking of putting some grass shrimp or something on the hooks--they are supposed to like that alot. Not sure what flavor of bait fish they eat here, either--are they picky about that?

As for a stiff Rod, I know I need a heavy or heavy-medium one to handle the load, but I thought that I also need one that will help me feel the fish when he/she starts taking the bait, as I would need to set the hook hard, and they could get away before I knew what hit???

Craigster,

On your drawing, you say to use barbless hooks--why is that?

If I can get a big'un, I will definitely post pics. If it is not a record, I will have a fish-fry. Who's gonna bring the refreshments???
;c :cool: ;c ^5 ;Y ;V

forthehalibut
01-28-2004, 20:02
One other thing---what should I set the drag for {assuming they are VERY LARGE}? I figure on using 30 or 40 lb test line, and probably setting the drag to 20lbs.

Craigster
01-29-2004, 09:35
[i]

Craigster,

On your drawing, you say to use barbless hooks--why is that?

[/B]

In the Columbia River, because of size restrictions, keepers are rare. Shakers and oversize must be released quickly and with minim damage, so barbless is required by law.

Depending on the type of line, your drag should be on the lighter side and adjusted during the fight.

A ridged pole will still let you know when one is mouthing your bait. You wont feel it so much as you will see it pull/twitch the end even on a stiff rod.

One tip…..while fishing you will lay your pole down. Your pole should never touch a hard surface in the boat and NEVER in a rod holder. When you set it down make sure the butt is on carpet and the pole is leaning against a rag or cushion or something soft with about a foot or so over the edge. While one is biting slowly and gently pick up the pole without bumping anything and in such a way that the line goes a little lose. When the time is right and you set the hook with mono line you really need to pull/jerk. If using braided line (recomended) not so much but firm.

forthehalibut
01-30-2004, 22:24
Hey--I really do appreciate the help, guys!^6 ^c

I am gradually getting the stuff for my trip. I got the sinker sliders with connectint links and some 8/0 hooks today. I am looking at the best line to get--I figure 50lb test strength Powerpro line [has same thickness as 12 lb test mono] on me reel, with the drag set to around 20-25 lbs should work for me. My father-in-law will loan me one of his heavy poles for the task at hand.

If I catch that 1500lb monster---I will post pics.;f ;W ;2 ;f

fth