Inverter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inverter

isp2605
01-14-2004, 05:10
I'm thinking of putting an inverter in my F-350 so when we're on the road I can power things like laptop, TV, maybe a drill or other small power tool. Not wanting to run a welder or microwave. I can figure the size. I'm looking for comments as far as manufacturers and models.

Michigun
01-14-2004, 12:31
I've heard good things about the manufacture/type that Cabela's sells.

Haven't had any personal experiences with any of them myself though.

isp2605
01-14-2004, 13:29
Originally posted by Michigun
I've heard good things about the manufacture/type that Cabela's sells.

Thanks. Have never used one for computers and such type electronics. Didn't know if it mattered what kind of inverter or if it took something special.

Roger C
01-14-2004, 15:10
I have a 450VA Coleman inverter in my Blazer, haven't used it very much. Most recently it powered a string of Christmas lights wrapped around the luggage rack. :cool:

If you have a laptop, the best solution is to get a 12V adapter for it rather than use the inverter. Much cleaner power, and a whole lot more efficient. I'm pretty happy with the Coleman, anything like that I always want to buy from somebody who will be around in case I need warranty support.

308endurdebate
01-16-2004, 21:59
If you like to tinker, you can pick up a cheap UPS (most are generally sealed lead acid battery), which can be charged/run from a car if you open it up. It'll generally be the same or cheaper than buying an inverter of the same capacity (dunno why?!?!).

-k

vafish
01-16-2004, 22:05
ISP,

If your going to be using it much with the engine off get a dual battery set up with a battery isolator so you don't run down your starting battery.

aspen
01-20-2004, 01:23
I have run all of my work laptops off of my Colman 300 Watt inverter from Wallmart. Your laptops transformer should clean the power for you or it just will not work.