Q:wet shells [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Q:wet shells

noway
01-14-2004, 09:43
Are shotgun shells that's been submerge okay to shoot? if so how long would it take for them to dry out?

I whent hunting for ducks afew days back and had my shell conatiner lid open and about 50+ shells where sitting in 6" of water for about 30-mins. the shells where Winchester expert steel and Remington hi-velocity steel ( green hull).

I cut open one of each to check them out see that the winchester has a better seal+wad design for the area between the powder and first wad but the steel shot has a few rust spots showing.

The remigton hi-velocity steel was a joke. It was water in the shot area ( duh ) and the powder was wet and clumpy but the shot is nickel or some type of coating to protect it from rust.

opinions, anybody ???.... Should I just write this off as a lost? (I currently have them in a box shot-end down)

Not too much worried since duck season activity has dropped but was just curious.

mudfootball
01-14-2004, 10:27
Im thinking just suck it up as a loss. Couple reasons. One, some times if the steel is wet and rusts and can form clumps, bad for many reasons. Sealed or not, imagine you are out there and here comes that nice pintail drake, and the shell you have in the chamber happens to be one where water got to the powder.... there goes your duck, maybe a malfunction in the gun. Besides, in the world of steel shot, xpert is cheap (as far as that stuff you pay for what you get) go get another 9 dollar box.
kt

MrMurphy
01-16-2004, 14:37
If you keep the shells on you in a shell bag, bandolier, etc they're much less likely to get wet than sitting in an open container.

Eagle Industries makes an 8X8" dump pouch for carbines that mounts on your belt and either zippers or Velcro's closed, with a slit in the top for your hand, and it'll hold something like 50-60 shotgun shells. I've been meaning to get one for my Nova SP as a "tactical" ammo carrier. It would do fine for you as well.

noway
01-16-2004, 14:44
That would be nice but I was laying down on about 6"-12" of water. The container was resting on part of blind and fell over.

The problem I have with any waist fannypack/holder or the Avery chest holder is, when ever these are used and you are sitting or laying down the shells are very hard to remove when the time comes to reload.

PS: Some of the other ducks hunters have been securing their shells in ziplock bag prior ot placing them in the fanny or portable containers.