What knives are in your kitchen? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What knives are in your kitchen?

jason10mm
01-14-2004, 12:20
I recently decided to invest in some forged kitchen knives after years of stamped chefs knives and crappy serrated "all purpose" blades made from old coke bottles :) After trying a bunch of different styles at the local Williams and Sonoma, I bought a Wusthof starter set (8" Chef and a small paring knife) with the Grand Prix handles. I felt the thinner blade (over the Henckels) and thicker handle (over the classic) fit my needs. I also bought a big 15 slot block, planning on building a collection. The knives have not arrived yet, but I'm curious what other GTers use.

I have my eye on a santoku style knife for veggies (similar to what Rachael Ray uses) and maybe a bread knife. Any lefties out there ever use a left handed bread knife (has the serrations on the other side, supposedly to help us proper-handers cut straight)? The only one I've seen is the Global one, which I'm sure is a good knife, but that dimpled steel handle would sure stick out amongst the others. If there is no real advantage, I'd rather stick to a more conservative looking knife, even if it was made for wrong handers ;)

Any tips on using the steel? Do you steel before or after cutting, or both? Any tips on technique? Any other "must-have" knives? I figure I may get a thick bladed 6" chef for frozen meats, or stick to my cleaver. Otherwise I'll just use up a few years worth of b-day and x-mas presents filling that block with whatever sounds cool (tomato knife, anyone? :) ).

Glockerel
01-14-2004, 14:04
I've got all Wusthof Tridents. They are all about 15 years old, regular handles.
6" chef
8" chef
10" chef, double wide
10" serrated
6" boner...yes, it's a knife...
3" paring

If I had to buy just one, it'd be the 8" chefs.
Use a cleaver on frozen food. Tridents do come with a lifetime warranty, but why use a good knife like an ax?

A steel is for lightly honing/deburring only. Once a good edge is on a Trident, it'll stay that way for a long time. Use the steel before cutting, wiping the blade prior to use.
Always put away your knives clean right away. Dirty knives get dull in a hurry.

23skidoo
01-14-2004, 18:55
J.A. Henckels four star series. I love 'em. I also have a diamond sharpening rod and a ceramic sharpening rod in addition to the Chef's steel. The ceramic really works well for maintaining an edge once the knife is sharp.

lwt210
01-14-2004, 20:47
J.A. Henckels here too. We have the eight inch chefs, the six inch chefs, paring, filet, six inch carving, eight inch steel, small serrated, kitchen shears, and the eight inch serrated bread knife.

The wife prefers the smaller chef's knife while I like the bigger one. Those and the serrated models get used the most. Especially when the wife bakes homemade breads and I get to slice them with that serrated bread model. Yummm.

We rarely touch the filet blade. It's the least used one in the block.

I am thinking of getting the larger block and adding a cleaver and a set of forged steak knives to the blade collection.

As far as the steel is concerned, angle seems to be more important than speed. Once you develop a "feel" for the right angle, you can get the edge with ease.

Oh, and we use the heck out of those scissors too. We've had this set now for about five years and don't know what we did before them.

Many believe that quality forged knives are essential equipment.

MrsKitty
01-14-2004, 22:14
I personally have a set of Wusthof Grad Prix. I picked mine up at Sam's Club for (everybody sit down!) only $69!!

It is about a 10 piece block. The box was busted but all the knives were perfect and the block had not been damaged at all.

The knives started at at $299 there. Nobody was buying them and they kept getting reduced on down until they got down to $129. When six smashed boxes were left, they dropped them to $69 and I almost jumped up and down in the store. I also checked the store almost daily figuring what was going to happen;) That is probably the buy of my lifetime;f

When I went in together with a friend to buy an 8" chef's knife as a wedding present for another friend, we paid more than $69 for that one Wusthof knife on sale. We knew it would last her a lifetime was why we chose that. We also put a penny in the box...something about a knife as a gift ends a friendship unless you include a penny? Anybody ever hear of that? The people at Williams-Sonoma had pre-printed cards just for that;g

We also have a set of Henckels Four Star, basically the same size set.

As far as quality, I like both equally. However, the Wusthof fits my hand better while the Henckels fit the other cook's hand better in this house. They are both great knives. You can't go wrong with either.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-15-2004, 17:22
I still have the cheap "Old Hickory" knives. Cheap, but made from a high carbon steel that is easy to sharpen. I really don't like the stainless steel blades because I never could put a decent edge on those.

Optimus Prime
01-15-2004, 19:14
I got the Kitchen Classic Series from Cold Steel. ;)

rdsharp
01-16-2004, 10:30
Henckels -- mostly Four Star Series. I have the 8" chefs, 8" carving, 6" utility, Santouko, 5" boning knife, 5" tomato/utility knife, and 2 1/2' paring knife.

I also have a Professional series cleaver, a cheaper bread knife, two different set of Henckels stamped steak knives, and a set each of kitchen and poultry shears.

I have one Wustof paring knife. It's a nice knife, but it's very hard to resharpen compared to the Henckel's.

Garweh
01-21-2004, 20:47
Henckels, the santouko is my favorite. I use it for everything and the wide blade makes it easy to scoop chopped ingredients into the pot. As for sharpening; this is done with a stone. Preferably an oil stone in medium to fine grit. Do it ONLY when the knives are dull as sharpening removes steel from the blade. A frequently used blade will need to be sharpened about once a month. DO NOT use an electric sharpener as it will grind away too much of the blade. A stone is easy to learn to use and produces excellent results. The steel is used EVERY time a knife is used. Use the steel before cutting. The steel does not sharpen the blade, it just realigns (straightens) the edge (the edge "rolls" over as the knofe is used) . Think HONING. Two to three swipes of each side of the blade on the steel should suffice to produce a nice true edge. Using this approach, you knives will last for generations.

mado
01-22-2004, 21:53
Benchmade Prestigedges 3 Paring Knife, 6 Utility Knife, and 8 Chef Knife and a few different Henckels.

Sta. 18
01-23-2004, 15:51
I got the Global 3-piece starter set (link (http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?gids=sku4177804&pKey=ccutglob&root=shop&src=catccutglob%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatccutb%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fhme%2Fhme)) about 6 months ago. What great knives!! They're a joy to use, and very sharp. They seem to hold an edge longer than the German knives. I love the way they're balanced.

My girl-friend has very small hands, and has always been intimidated by most sharp kitchen knives. She loves using the Globals though.

SparrowHawk
01-24-2004, 08:16
Cutco!

Skyhook
01-24-2004, 08:45
Two 'full' sets: Henckles and Chicago.
Sometimes I prefer the Chicago.. depends on the job. I think wooden -real wooden- handles do have a better feel than composites for some jobs.

6forsure
01-24-2004, 13:27
Old Hickory. The smaller ones are good all around utility knives as well. The local Wally World stocks a few of them. I believe that their hardnes is around 55-58 Rc according to Ontario.

mindonmatter
01-25-2004, 01:45
All Wusthofs, except a couple of cheap paring knifes.

I just got everything sharpened and I'm a happy man :) Something about freshly sharpened knifes just make you want to cook something.

Sta. 18
01-27-2004, 00:37
I made grilled artichokes tonight. After boiling them, I cut them into quarters. Let me tell you, this is a huge pain without a very sharp knife. My Global handled this job outstandingly.

In case you're interested, the artichokes came out great. After they were quartered, I brushed on a little olive oil. Sprinkled 'em with paprika, onion powder, fresh ground pepper, & salt. Then tossed them on the grill just until they started to blacken.

These were a hit with the home-made, green onion, mayo.

Minuteman
01-27-2004, 01:01
You can do everything with just 3 knives. 1) 8" chefs knife, 2) 3" paring knife, 3) 8" serrated knife, and a diamond sharpening steel.

I have lots of knives, but you can do everything with just these. The first ones I would add to that list would be a chinesse cleaver, a santoko and a carving blade.

A good cutting board is also very important. My favorite is a heavy maple block that has one side with a built in drain, to catch juices when I slice hot meats. But I use my large plastic boards the most, because they have a very large surface area. About 2' x 3'.

I've seen people use good knives, and cut on glass or marble boards;P, then wonder why thier knives are dull. They think they need better knives.;Q
I've also seen folks using tiny cutting boards not much bigger than the knife. Always use the biggest cutting boards you can fit on your counter.

MrsKitty
01-27-2004, 09:17
Originally posted by Sta. 18
These were a hit with the home-made, green onion, mayo.

How about starting a new thread with a recipe for your green onion mayo;)

That sounds yummy!

Thanks!

whizz
01-27-2004, 11:29
Very, very sharp ones ... :)

hodgdonhead
01-27-2004, 15:58
I have a huge set of J.A. Henckels, but I am wondering about the new ceramic knives....

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3paringknife.html

mindonmatter
01-27-2004, 16:48
Originally posted by hodgdonhead
I have a huge set of J.A. Henckels, but I am wondering about the new ceramic knives....

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3paringknife.html

Well, they aren't really new. But they are nice. My ex girlfriends mother had one of those Kyocera 5 1/2" chefs knives. They're extremely sharp and hold their edge for a very long time. The only thing is that I don't believe you can re-sharpen them yourself....you have to send it back to Kyocera to have it sharpened. But I hear they hold their edge for years if you take care of it.

Darkmage
02-01-2004, 09:31
Another Cutco user here. I have a set with the essentials: French chef knife, trimmer, pairing knife, carver, bread knife and the spreader thingy. Plus six table knives. Works great for just about all occasions and I only have to sharpen the chef knife.

rhikdavis
02-01-2004, 10:08
Ginsu....;g I think I'm outta the loop.

KHAviator
02-05-2004, 09:07
For a great Santoku try http://macknife.com/ This is the best I've ever used. If it's good enough for the French Laundry it's good enough for me.

cmzneb
02-06-2004, 21:52
I have many different knives including JA Henckels, Wustof, Forschner. But my favorite to use by far is the Dexter Russell (Commercial Brand available at Restaurant supply houses) Rosewood handle 10" Chefs knife that cost $16.

My $80 Henckels, and Wustof knives just usually sit in the case. They are not as comfortable, and do not hold an edge as long as the Russell.

Minuteman
02-07-2004, 01:35
..;g

Minuteman
02-07-2004, 01:37
Originally posted by cmzneb
I have many different knives including JA Henckels, Wustof, Forschner. But my favorite to use by far is the Dexter Russell (Commercial Brand available at Restaurant supply houses) Rosewood handle 10" Chefs knife that cost $16.

Shush. You're not supposed to let out the secret of proffesional kitchens. We have knife carry bags and wooden blocks that say wustof or, global or henkels. But the knives we use everyday are dexter russel and sani-safe knives. Most cost between $5-$25.
I have a magnetic knife rack, it has Wustof, henkels, dexter, sani-safe, chicago cutlery, a victory knox, and a carbon chinesse cleaver (they are not really for cleaving, they are for slicing and choping, the blade is too soft for cleaving, razor sharp!)

Best cheap knife is the $20 chinesse cleaver. With the chinesse cleaver and a small paring knife, like the sani-safe for $8, you could do everthing.

okie
02-09-2004, 10:56
These do all I need done;a

hwyhobo
02-09-2004, 11:30
I couldn't find the knives I liked (without selling my soul), until I finally went to an oriental supermarket and bought some Thai Kiwi knives. They're cheap as dirt, wooden handles, soft steel, but as long as you touch them up with the steel rod every day, they're sharper than Lucifer's teeth. I also added a good cleaver (from the same store), and I am set for a long time.

dinkyplinker
02-11-2004, 06:24
What we have: Grand Prix, Chef's Choice, Henkels Pro S, Forschner fibrox handled , Wegner, Mac, and Dexter.
All are good knives. You have a starter set of the Grand Prix and you'll find they are quite good. I second the Mac recommendation, but you'll need a diamond hone or ceramic rod, but they are very easy to sharpen by hand. You didn't say how adept you are at sharpening, so I'm assuming you are of average skill and I would recommend the Forschner's with the fibrox handle in a few pieces. Yes, these are stamped knives but they are very good and have slip resistant handles. They make an excellant serrated bread knife, boning knife, and paring knife. I sharpen my stamped knives on a chef's choice 120 electric sharpener with amazing results. It's easy and quick and effective. The forged knives I do by hand because of the bolster, but that's because I have all sorts of sharpening stones on hand. Personally I think you need to pick the pieces you need now more by function or feel than brand. You have a excellant start look around and try them. While many of these are high quality knives--they aren't religous relics, and they are meant to be used. Properly maintained they will out last you even if you use a quality electric sharpener like a chefs choice. We have so many knives because we cook a lot, often things with lots of prep steps and my wife has years of commercial cooking experience. You may find that less is more.