Which oil to use for deep frying ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which oil to use for deep frying ?

Neal
01-14-2004, 20:21
It's said that most of the oils(fats) used for frying are not good for us. Which of the oils suitable for deep frying, is the least harmfull to our health?

bachchoy
01-14-2004, 20:24
;g

Neal
01-14-2004, 20:28
My son said McDonalds uses peanut oil for frying. Where can this be found? I do not recall seeing it in the oil section of the grocery stores around here.

Thanks,
Neal

bachchoy
01-14-2004, 20:37
;g

21 shooter
01-14-2004, 21:55
The best price I have found was at a Sam's Club. I think that peanut oil is best for anything that is fried.

MrsKitty
01-14-2004, 23:02
When buying peanut oil read the label carefully or you will get a blend instead of pure peanut!

We get ours at Sam's Club too.

Neal
01-15-2004, 05:40
We have a local Sam's Club, I'll check there. Thanks much for the tips. :)

Neal

noway
01-15-2004, 08:01
Peanut oil.

Hint: to save on cost buy big bottles like 1gal sizes or larger.

Cajun
01-15-2004, 09:12
Also, get a good filter and filter it after each use.

If you keep it clean it will last much longer than other oils.

nickg
01-15-2004, 10:55
regular vegetable oil is what i use for "deep frying".

but if i'm just frying something up in a pan i use extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil depending on what i'm frying.

Branspop
01-15-2004, 11:08
Originally posted by Cajun
Also, get a good filter and filter it after each use.

If you keep it clean it will last much longer than other oils.

Do they make a special filter for cooking oils?

noway
01-15-2004, 11:13
No, but their is a typical strainer at Walmart/Line-n-things/etc or other store that you pour the oil thru.

I cook alot of potatoes and plantains and have to strain my oil every month to 2 months to get the extra "crispies" out of the oil. ;)

Branspop
01-15-2004, 11:17
How do you store your used oil?

Glock Clock
01-15-2004, 11:31
Grape seed oil have a high cooking temperature of 320 degree F.
Also help to reduce cholesterol

Have a light taste.
Oliver oil generally not suit for high temp cooking.

noway
01-15-2004, 12:58
{How do you store your used oil?}

Under the counter in it's orginal container.Used oil that's being replaced is poured into a 2oz coke bottle and discard. I change my deep-frying oil after 3-5months or sometime sooner if I fry a lot of fish.

Another strainer idea is the smaller one that you can use in deep deep-fryer so that you sweep the oil surface to remove extra crispies and don't have to worry about pouring oil out and making a mess. If you get a strainer get the biggest size and use a bottle with a WIIIIIIIDE mouth. Trust me you will make less of a mess and be awhole lot quicker.

Now that I'm typing this, the last oil strain I did my counter look like the Valdez Oil spill ;f

nickg
01-15-2004, 13:06
Originally posted by noway
{How do you store your used oil?}

Under the counter in it's orginal container.Used oil that's being replaced is poured into a 2oz coke bottle and discard. I change my deep-frying oil after 3-5months or sometime sooner if I fry a lot of fish.

Another strainer idea is the smaller one that you can use in deep deep-fryer so that you sweep the oil surface to remove extra crispies and don't have to worry about pouring oil out and making a mess. If you get a strainer get the biggest size and use a bottle with a WIIIIIIIDE mouth. Trust me you will make less of a mess and be awhole lot quicker.

Now that I'm typing this, the last oil strain I did my counter look like the Valdez Oil spill ;f

that's one reason why i haven't been using my deep fryer lately. i just get tired of draining the oil all the time. but you do get better all around cooking than with a pan for sure.

Branspop
01-15-2004, 16:38
In case it doesn't show, but I don't fry a whole lot....

Next question:

Is there a big taste influence between the different types of oils? I know olive has a significant difference over say... canola, but what about canola v. peanut v. any of the others?

bachchoy
01-15-2004, 16:46
;g

Neal
01-17-2004, 14:31
Went to Sam's Club last night to buy some peanut oil. The only size container they have is 35 pounds! I now have about 4.3 gallons of peanut oil. ha ha

kilroy2721
01-18-2004, 08:48
Olive oil is not good for deep frying...You can use Canola oil but Peanut oil is by far the best around...Just keep it clean.

Glockerel
01-18-2004, 16:25
Originally posted by Branspop
How do you store your used oil?
Store your used filtered oil in the refrigerator.

Also- you can get an oil filter two ways:

One- go to a restaurant and ask them for one of the large coffee filters that work in their bulk coffee machines. Place that in a collander and filter cooled oil.

Two-
Line a collander with cheesecloth and pour cooled oil through. Works like a charm.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-28-2004, 22:19
I have used crisco and sometimes lard.

23skidoo
02-09-2004, 22:51
What you want to look for in an oil to be used in deep frying is the smoke point. Peanut oil has the highest smoke point, around 360-380 degrees. As the oil gets older the smoke point starts to drop. Extra Virgin Olive oil does not take heat well. It is better used as a dressing than a cooking oil. Vegetable oil has a much lower smoke point than peanut oil. About 40 degrees lower if I remember correctly. Plain Olive Oil and clarified butter both have smoke points that approach that of peanut oil.