Rapala minnow alternative [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rapala minnow alternative

striderglock
01-16-2004, 21:18
Is there a decent alternative to the Rapala minnow? Rapala's haven't been that durable for me.

mudfootball
01-17-2004, 21:26
Not sure what size you are looking for, but here in the little town of bethlehem PA trout fisherman have been buying oodles of Yo zuri's Pins minnow. They are a buck or two more than rapala's, but they swim so well they make rapala's look plain stupid. Rapalas either wobble or have a herky jerky motion depending on the retrieve. These things swim thats it no matter what your retrieve they look great, sizes from panfish to saltwater. I have seen 8 rapalas go by 28 in brown trout before the one yo zuri that catches him. Get the pins minnow in the rainbow trout color.
kt

01-23-2004, 14:14
I second the Yozuri!
I use them in fresh and saltwater.
The saltwater "Crystal minnow" is better than live bait. The action is unbeleivable. I will outfish the flyfishermen and baitfishermen on the cape cod beaches 10 to 1. I was on South Beach in the Monomoy sancuary area of Chatham, Ma and I outfished 15 flyfishermen and 2 bait guys. They could not beleive that I caught so many Striped bass and Bluefish in one outing. They work!
I am big into trolling for Salmon, Trout, Bass, ect.. and the Rapalas, yozuris and spoons are my weapons of choice BUT if I had to choose one to use it would be the Yozuri pin minnows.

Good luck!

f1b32oPTic
01-24-2004, 10:19
yozuri's are a little over priced in my opinion, usually about $2-$3 more than a rapala...

i love rapalas, but i like the smithwick rogues just as good if not better...they are a little heavier than the rapalas for a comparable size, they throw a little farther and track perfectly.

one of my favorite rapalas is the standard gold 4-1/2" jointed floating minnow.

mudfootball
01-24-2004, 10:37
If you can spare the bucks to buy just one, i think you will be pretty impressed, I have to look into Smithwick, havent fished those.
KT

striderglock
01-25-2004, 18:39
I've looked at the Yozuri's at Bass Pro and Academy, you can tell they are a quality lure. They are a bit more but I've gotten alot of recommendations from everybody I ask so I'm gonna try a few.

I've used Smithwick Rogue's in the past, they are a good lure but not the quality of Yozuri. Which really doesn't matter cause I've fished alot of cheap lures and caught plenty of fish. From what I've been told it's the tight wiggle action of the Yozuri that outproduces other lures. I beleive they rattle too.

mudfootball
01-25-2004, 21:07
what fish can resist a good wiggle, yeah i love the swimming action, they are weighted with two bearings, they shift to produce long cast and fall forward on retrieve for action. pretty cool
kt

striderglock
01-25-2004, 21:09
Originally posted by mudfootball
....they are weighted with two bearings, they shift to produce long cast and fall forward on retrieve for action...... That's pretty damn slick!

Dogbite
02-07-2004, 17:28
I have caught many many fish on Rapala lures,and think quite highly of them.I do own some Yozuri lures and fish them--have not caught on them yet--but they look so good its amazing.They are very high quality lures,and everytime i tie one on i think im going to catch a lunker--im sure soon i will... ;)

GlockinHood
02-08-2004, 00:32
Rebel makes some good lures. I've used their Pop-R for a few seasons now and just replaced the hooks. If you are looking for an alternative I'd give them a try. Think they are priced close to the Rapala's if not cheaper.

Ian

noway
02-08-2004, 13:41
Yozuri lures are not that much reliable than Rapala for the extra cost( IMHO). Just what type of issues are you having with them?

I found that If I buy the Rapala treble hooks and replace the std trebele hooks with their saltwaters hooks that the lures last for a looooooooonger time or until I hook them in a tree or brush.;f

striderglock
02-08-2004, 18:35
My dad and I were throwing a Rapala Shad Rap and catching alot of fish. After a couple trips the lip would start to come out of the body. Wood lures just don't hold up well and the coating(finish) starts to crack and peel.

I bought a Yozuri Pins minnow from Bass Pro the other day. You can tell where the extra money goes, these are quality lures. The hooks are the sharpest I've seen on any lure and the minute detail is excellent.

noway
02-08-2004, 20:48
that's interesting information.

I have a few Rapala lures easily hitting 4yrs plus and the only poblems I 've seen have been the lures gear'd for freshwater, treble hooks rusting out if you keep them in moist enviroments.

Tvov
02-09-2004, 13:01
Originally posted by mudfootball
Rapalas either wobble or have a herky jerky motion depending on the retrieve.

Well... yeah, that's exactly what they are made to do. They're not designed to swim "smoothly", but with an "injured baitfish" look.

I love my Rapalas, but as with any lure, somedays the fish just aren't interested in that particular lure, and you should trying switching to other lures, including Yozuris (I have a couple in the tackle box).

I don't fish as much as I would like (who does?), usually freshwater, but I've never had a problem with Rapalas.

noway
02-09-2004, 14:23
ditto.

That's what makes a rapala a Rapala.

For thoose that think they are weak and junk, I hook a 1/2oz lure in a thick brush on a far side of a stream and I actually broke the lure in half trying to tug and jerk the lure out. No pulled lips or treble hooks.

Another good lure I've used is the XPS series avl from BassPro. It has landed numerous Peacock Bass and on a few ocassions spotted trout and with the wide deep lip is a good deep runner for hitting Oscars, Mayan Cichilds and Peacocks.

shrpshtr
02-20-2004, 06:49
i have been using Rapala for years and years also. i do a lot of amatuer tournament bass fishing and haven't had hardly any problems with them at all. i have seen the issue striderglock was talking about on a couple of them, but not consistently enough to think it's anything more than a flaw in assembly. i have to note, both of the times i have seen it have been on lures i have hauled in big fish on before the lure has problems. maybe a tough fight weakens them, i don't know. i have heard of the yo zuri's but never tried them. i think i will have to pay a visit to our local sporting goods store and see what they have...:). i always need a good excuse to buy fishing stuff.

Tvov
02-20-2004, 15:19
Originally posted by shrpshtr
...:). i always need a good excuse to buy fishing stuff.

LOL!