handgun hunting, stand or still hunt ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : handgun hunting, stand or still hunt ?

dieselguy
01-17-2004, 12:05
this will be my first year hunting deer and black bear w/ a handgun (blackhawk or redhawk)
do most of you handgunners hunt from a tree stand or still hunt? i do both but prefere to move around a bit to keep from getting bored and falling asleep. i hunt in maine and new hampshire in everything from fields to swamps.
my father, an excellent handgun shooter, doesn't a handgun is very good for still hunting and jump shooting. i figure i can get a scoped blackhawk on target just as fast as my ancient model 70 w/ an alaskan scope.

now would i be better of w/ a 5.5" or 7.5" barreled blackhawk in 44 mag?
how realistic is a 150 yd shot w/ a scope and resting on something?

thanks
-jason

TJC
01-17-2004, 16:56
Only handgun hunting I've done has been in Pa and Maine. All of which was stand hunting.

revbrown
01-17-2004, 18:17
i still like to walk but can't do that much - prolly freeze my junk off in a stand

used 7.5" rugers with adjustable sights - longest shot i would take would be about 75 yds so as not to just wound

wore low slung western style belt and holster to keep gun available but be able to wear a large coat and not have to dig around for the gun

:cool:

tjpet
01-17-2004, 23:15
Glass, then stalk, for the most part.

I'd say at least 30% were animals I ran into by accident while doing something else. Just happened to have a tag in my pocket and a pistol handy.

vafish
01-18-2004, 09:00
I do both, Have much better luck in the stand than still hunting (probably move to fast, but I do that when I get cold and bored), But I've shot deer both ways. With handgun hunting I hunt the same as with a rifle or shotgun.

I deer hunt with 2 .44 mag handguns.

First is a TC Contender Super 14 with a 2.5x scope on it. I use it when I'm in the stand, it has a sling on it for carrying. I've had 2 occasions where the first shot for the TC didn't put the deer down and I drew the second gun to finish it.

Second is a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel carried Cross Draw in a Bianchi Cyclone holster. I use this one when moving on the ground. or as mentioned above if the first shot from the Contender doesn't do it.

I think 150 yard shot is pushing it too far for the 7 1/2" Ruger, especially with open sights.

Longest shot I've taken on deer with the handgun is 90 yards. I used the TC for that one.

dieselguy
01-18-2004, 09:03
i was just curious if it could do it at 150 yds, if i do my part. i will keep closer to 50-75 yds

JimM_PA
01-18-2004, 12:17
Some random thoughts....a Ruger is an excellent gun to hunt with. I stay inside the range that I can put all my shots on a paper plate from whatever position I shoot. I try to use a rest whenever possible (tree branch, stand support, whatever). If I haven't practiced enough with my hunting loads before season, my effective range may be close to bow hunting distances. I prefer a red dot sight to a scope. If I hunt with a handgun, the rifle stays in camp. Good luck with your hunt, it's a pretty good challenge.
Jim

vafish
01-20-2004, 08:22
Originally posted by dieselguy
i was just curious if it could do it at 150 yds, if i do my part. i will keep closer to 50-75 yds

Good plan.

I don't know your capabilities, but you need to remember that a 30-30 has more energy at 100 yards than a .44 mag handgun has at the muzzle. There are a lot of guy shooting Metalic Silohette at 200 yards with .44 mags. But they are shooting at known distances. The .44 mag starts to loose a lot of steam after 100 yards and the bullet starts to drop a lot.

My .44 mags are sighted in for 50 yards. The 90 yard shot I took the bullet hit about 3" below my point of aim. Since all I could see of the buck was his head/neck I went for a neck shot. The bullet tore through his thorax and juggler veins. Another inch or 2 lower and it would have missed.