Food Processor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Food Processor

Branspop
01-17-2004, 15:16
What should I look for in a food processor? I am thinking about a range of around $50 or less if possible. If the features are that good, I would consider higher.

General Sherman
01-28-2004, 02:29
Got a great Black and Decker at Wall-Mart for about $30. I had an old one which went bad and was looking at the major makers - Hamilton Beach and Cusinart. Those are about $200 in the large size with 11 cup bowls. The Black and Decker has about a 7 cup bowl but that is large enough for most of my uses. If necessary I would just mix two bowls of whatever if I needed that much.

Great for making your own salsa with fresh, low calorie, low sodium ingredients. Top it off with fresh lime juice and use thin carrot slices for "chips".

MrsKitty
01-28-2004, 11:37
Hey Sherman, You got my food processor! I looked around too and decided that no more than I would use it, I would rather invest the big bucks in good knives. I have never regretted it.

Branspop, if you plan on using it daily and big batches go for a really nice Cuisinart (that ain't spelled right...). If infrequently, try a $30 B&D first. If you burn the gears out of it, you haven't lost much;) That was my way of thinking anyway. They also make a tiny $30-40 Cuisinart for small jobs that might work if you ain't going to do big batches too.

Another gizmo that I have found myself using so many times in my kitchen is my "boat motor" blender. I got a super heavy duty stick blender. I can't remember the specifics right now. If you want to know more, I can dig it out for you-our kitchen is being remodeled-as in we are currently missing a wall and it looks like two tornadoes and a hurricane followed by a snowstorm came through our house!

I got a $10 boat motor for Christmas one year. Burned that baby up in no time. So I bought another one. Did it again. I replaced it with a heavy duty one and have had it for about five years now. Of course, I make super-thick milkshakes with mine which is not good for the cheap ones. Also is great for lump free gravy-just be careful you keep from picking it up out of the pan;P

jason10mm
01-28-2004, 12:34
I got a 8-10 cup B&D for X-mas as well. I haven't used it yet though. I think it is too large for most of my tasks (I'm a bachelor usually cooking just for myself or "+1" ;). I'm thinking about getting one of those 2-3 cup $50 cuisinarts for small chores. But I love using knives, so I may just stick to manual chopping...