700 ADL range report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 700 ADL range report

vega
01-17-2004, 22:11
Finally shot my 30-06 this afternoon. Nobody told me that the recoil would be like being kicked (can't say by a mule, never been kicked by one). I zeroed it using the traditional method, bore sighting. I was confused with my Leupold scope at first. I should have read the manual.

I started at 50 yards. The scope is about 11 o'clock 3 inches from the red spot. So I followed the scope's arrow and did the adjustment. When I looked again I was even farther from the center. I did more adjustment and I was more farther from the center. What I did next was do the opposite and to my surprise I was able to get the cross hair in the center.

Ok ready for my first shot. Since I have a 22LR Marlin and an air rifle I figure I know how to properly place the butt on my shoulder and deal with the recoil. BANG!!! Took me about 3 seconds to recover from that kick. My shot was about 5 in off 11 o'clock. Ok no big deal, more adjustment. Second shot, still thinking of that kick. BANG!!! 2 in at 12 o'clock. I must have made 4 more shots at that sight and the rifle was consistently making that group.

I moved the paper at 100 yds and I figured that I should be hitting the red dot now since I was 2" high at 50 yds. BANG!!! WTF!!! About 5" high from the red spot. OK do some thinking. Darn, I wasn't shooting a 22LR, this is a 30-06 and the velocity is much much higher so the bullet is still going up. I was trying to re-call all those articles that I've read. I talked with the gentleman who was shooting besides me, he looks like he knows all about rifles. Oh-ow, he is a bow hunter and just trying his 22LR rifle. Ok more adjustment but my shoulder is really hurting. Lots of shooters in the range and I can't show my fellow shooters what a wimp I am. OK more adjustment and more pain...er I mean more shots.

Finally, on the last cease fire I was able to find my group, too bad I didn't have more time to adjust my sight. The final 3 rds are the ones group together. I'll do more zeroing if time will permit me next week. I need to adjust it so it will shoot 2" high at 100 yds. If there are any mis-spelled words its because my shoulder is hurting.

mpol777
01-17-2004, 23:42
A Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad will help tame the recoil for you. The butt of the ADL stock is too thin for harder kicking calibers. I just doesn't spread out the recoil very well.

Also watch how you're sitting. Most shooting ranges have benches that are much too low for hard kicking rifles. Ideally you want your back in the same position as if you were standing. Once you get it sighted in get it off the bench and start shooting off shooting sticks at the right height. It's better practice and having your back straight will save your shoulder.

For sighting in I would use a sissy bag. If you're flinching and pulling shots it will only make sighting in take that much longer. Just get a 5lb bag of bird shot and put that between the gun and your shoulder.

Esox357
01-18-2004, 09:10
Vega, nice group. What loads were shooting? I also have an ADL in 06, just mounted my scope yesterday, so I can't wait to get it dialed in. I shot 40 rounds of 180 grain Winchester Power Points through it with open sights, after about 7-10 rounds my shoulder was getting sore, so I put a wadded up shirt between me and my shoulder and fired the rest, it actually feels better than my savage 110 model in 06 though. I think I will end up buying a decelerator pad and adding a little weight to help with the recoil. Esox357

vega
01-18-2004, 10:44
mpol - Don't have the money yet for the pad. I'll spend whatever I have for ammo and range fee. I'll just use my home-made one. I'll adjust my shooting position next time.

Esox - Thanks! I've been wanting to hear that.;) I used American Eagle 150 gn FMJ boat tail. Once I have enough brass for reloading I will re-adjust the sight again.

vega

tjpet
01-20-2004, 17:15
Sight your '06 dead on @ 25 yards. Then reshoot @ 100. Should be approx. 3" high. The gun now has a point blank range of 300 yards (will hit a BG animal in the chest area with a center hold.) Get license, go hunting.

vega
01-20-2004, 18:04
tjpet - That is the purpose of this rifle. I already have a license.
300 yds is too much here in Cali.

vega

jchast
01-21-2004, 07:10
My 30.06 dosen't kick at all in my opinion... but my .338 does.

I have a laser boresighter... they work very well. Mine got my 30.06 within 2 iches of the paper at 100 yards when I bought it. a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-21-2004, 11:01
Zero the 06 at whatever distance you want. No need to be 2" high at 100 yards if you are going to do most of your shooting at that distance.

Mine is dead on at 100 yards. Good for target shooting, good for hunting.

How are you going to do most of your shooting? At a bench? Off-hand? I practice standing off-hand shots. Those are the shots that come up in hunting. 100 yards is a long ways when shooting like that. 200 yards is too far. Sure, some will brag about 200, 300, or 500 yard shots. But let's be realistic and think about what you really want to do. You can zero at 100, and then practise the holdover at 200.

Does the 06 kick? If you sit at a bench, yes. If you stand and shoot off-hand, no. Big difference between the two. For sighting in at the bench, place a folded towel on your shoulder if you don't want fancy recoil pads.

Also. Don't flinch. Just "mentally accept the recoil". That's my standard line. No matter if .30-06 or .44mag. The gun is going to recoil. Let it. The gun may hurt (at the bench, anyway). Let it. Relax and let it happen.

hodgdonhead
01-21-2004, 16:10
Originally posted by jchast
My 30.06 dosen't kick at all in my opinion... but my .338 does.

I have a laser boresighter... they work very well. Mine got my 30.06 within 2 iches of the paper at 100 yards when I bought it. a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

Agreed. I don't think my .30-06 or my 7MM rem mag really kick that bad. In fact, they are soft compared to my .45/70 guide gun and my .338.

After you shoot your .30-06 you will toughen up a bit and you wont notice the recoil as much.

If you want some sighting info about zeroing try this remington app:

http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/remshoot.htm

Its free to try and will give you apporx zero distances.

Roger C
01-27-2004, 08:33
I have a 700ADL Synthetic in .30-06, and the recoil always feels more like a big shove, than anything unpleasant. On the other hand, a slug gun feels to me like getting punched in the shoulder with a hammer... ;)

Greybeard
02-03-2004, 21:54
As others suggested, check then memorize trajectory. In general, if dead-on at 100 yards, approx. 1.5" LOW at 25 to 50 yards - due to scope being higher than bore. Thereafter, a drop of about 2" out at 200.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-04-2004, 07:34
Originally posted by Greybeard
As others suggested, check then memorize trajectory. In general, if dead-on at 100 yards, approx. 1.5" LOW at 25 to 50 yards - due to scope being higher than bore. Thereafter, a drop of about 2" out at 200.

Exactly!

And for all practical purposes for deer hunting, it is dead on from 0 to 200 yards.

In my neck of the woods, there's a lot of hunting that goes on at those distances.

However, if you shoot at a grouse's head at 10 yards, you've got to holdover that 1.5" or else you'll just scare the grouse good and shoot under it's head with a clean miss. And your friends will ask if where's your deer :)

skfullgun
02-04-2004, 21:18
Honestly, I can't tell the difference between my 30/06 and my 7mm Rem Mag. Both are Remington 700's, and they are both very manageable, though I wouldn't want to shoot more than 20-30 rounds through them.

I'm picking up my new-to-me .338 this weekend. I'll let you know about the recoil.

Tommy Gun
02-07-2004, 17:02
Get a recoil pad at some point.

My experience says that you will get used to it.

I have a 700 BDL in 30-06 and I was shocked by the recoil at first to. I used my soft sided case as a shoulder pad for a while and I managed to get itsighted in. Both scope and iron sights.

I more recently sighted in my 700 with a new Leupold 3x9 vxII scope and tried several types of ammo to see what shot best. In all I shot 76 rounds out of my 700 I am still here to tell you about it. I have never shot that many rounds out of my Remmy at one time then I did that day. I worked real hard trying not to flinch and just sucked up the recoil. It turned out to be one of the best days spent at the range that I that I have ever had. (Hornady, Winchester soft pionts & Federal Prememium Bear Claws shot the best , Remmington core locks shot the worst.)

The thing that sent me home that day was that I also checked the zero on my shotgun. 3 slugs did me in and I could do no more...... (The shot gun was still on target!) ;c

shrpshtr
02-10-2004, 13:57
i have a 700 adl in .270 and the recoil is nill. then again, the recoil on my 30.06 springfield doesn't bother me either. the only gun i have shot and "felt" the recoil is a .308 weatherby magnum. to me it kicked considerably harder than .338.

RonC
02-10-2004, 14:39
Recoil is very subjective. I notice very little difference in recoil between 130 gr 270 Win and 150 gr. 30-06 in light hunting rifles. Both a little stiff for me. Uncle complains about how hard his M1 kicked as he remembers it 40 years ago. Give me the 10# rifle anyday as long as I don't have to carry it.

hodgdonhead
02-10-2004, 15:37
Even though this has been said to death, it is still worth repeating...

The recoil you feel sitting on a bench is FAR greater than the recoil when hunting. In fact, I bet each one of you that has taken game with a .270 or bigger caliber, never gave a second thought to the recoil as you take your shot.

I still remember the 1st pig I took with my SAKO Hunter in 7MM Rem Mag. My heart was pounding as I took a 215 yard shot and dropped the piggie. I can still remember my ears ringing for the blast. But recoil...what recoil.....

MrMurphy
02-12-2004, 15:28
Big difference between a .22LR and a .30-06.

My Lee-Enfield No.4Mk1 .303 (similar in performance to the .30-06) has NO recoil pad, the buttplate is a solid brass plate. Granted it's a 9lb rifle, but I fired 60 rounds in about 2 hours the first day I shot it. Recoil didn't particularly bother me.

After four years of not shooting it I went through 20 rounds in fifteen minutes or so, the recoil hadn't gotten any worse or better.

Most .30-06 bolt guns have a respectable amount of recoil but it's perfectly manageable.

I was at the range shooting a CETME I was about to trade off and an older guy (60s) was there sighting in and fireforming brass for a .30 Gibb (.30-06 with a stretched shoulder...long range competition round, more recoil, better performance). His shoulder was wiped out since he'd shot 40 rounds of it already, and he was finetuning the scope zero. I spotted for him, and got "volunteered" into shooting 60 rounds off the bench for him, checking zero after each shot.

I had a bruise after that one (I had just fired 100 rounds of .308 out of the CETME too) but it wasn't bad.

younggenious
02-27-2004, 19:50
Yea when I have adrenaline running through me, recoil is something I rarely remember. If I do remember it, it's just the fact that it happened, rather than any memories of the slightest discomfort.