Squirrel and Rabbit Recipies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel and Rabbit Recipies

onemilmhz
01-18-2004, 00:40
Next weekend after we finish doing some work in the area we hunt we plan to feast on some of the smaller critters that bugged us while in the stand all season. Anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare the little ones for consumption? I've never had squirrel so I am looking foward to munching on the one that nested behind my creek stand. He seemed to come out at the same time each evening to ruin my chances of seeing a late afternoon deer. If he wasn't frolicking in the foodplot he was parked in the next tree over from me barking up a storm. Sweet revenge, your name is crockpot!

DJ Niner
01-18-2004, 02:43
Clean critters and soak overnight in salt water. If'n you're one of them Heathens that uses a scattergun, pick out any pellets, first. Us .22 shooters can use that time for more pleasant pursuits :) .

Cut into smaller (1") pieces, but keep the pieces as thick as possible. Save thinner scraps for the crockpot. Legs can be trimmed to shape as drumsticks.

Shake-N-Bake. Whatever type/flavor you want, just follow the directions, and don't overcook (unless you like jerky...). ;f

dieselguy
01-18-2004, 08:05
i ussually fry up chucks of meat in butter and brown sugar. or bake in an oven w/ aulso-sauce (i don't know if i spelled that right, it's the red sauce people use for pork).

Esox357
01-18-2004, 11:31
my buddies mom used to use Classic Italian shake and bake for rabbit and it was yummy. Esox357

revbrown
01-18-2004, 11:50
i used to boil up in salt water for a bit then cook like whatever chicken recipe i was partial to at the time

:cool:

noway
01-18-2004, 23:25
Here's my Squirrel or Rabbit McNuggets

Clean and wash meat in salt water. Remove all hairs with a small lighter if any are present.

Cut the pieces into Nuggets size and coat with a light flour or flour -n- maize combo and drop then in a deep-fryer and fried to a golden brown outside.

Serve with saltt&pepper and potatoe wedges.

Easy to cook.

hcook
01-19-2004, 09:18
Follow the standard recipe for chicken pot pie, but substitute rabbit and/or squirrel for chicken. Sooo good.

heyTJ
01-19-2004, 09:20
I bet she will have a good one for ya!

TJ

lethal tupperwa
01-19-2004, 10:01
Cut the critters in to pieces soak in salt water- dry salt and pepper and set aside.

Put 1/2 cup olive oil in a pot (med heat) stir in 3/4 cup flour.

Keep stiring till the mix turns tan to brown.

Add 2cups of chopped onions,1cup chopped green pepper and 1/2cup of chopped celery.

Stir til the veggies look clear.

Add a box of frozen okra.

Add 3chopped cloves of garlic.

Add salt and pepper both red and black to taste.

Add Worcestershire sauce about 1/4cup.

Add 3cans chicken stock.

Bring to a boil stiring.

Add 1pound chopped smoked pork sausage (kielbasa).

Add 1/2 pound chopped smoked ham.

Add the critters.

Bring back to a boil. Coverloosley boil for 1/2 hour.

Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Skim off the fat.

After about 45 min stir in 1cup chopped onion,1/2cup chopped green pepper,1/4 cup cellery and Franks hot sauce to taste.

Add 1cup chopped parsley, and 1/2 cup chopped green onions.

Cook about 5min more.

Serve over cooked rice.

My brothers hunt club had a game dinner and all he had to take at the time was squirrel he made Gumbo and was very happy- He said that other people took stuff home but they licked his pot clean.

Cajun
02-13-2004, 14:49
Also, check the Food Forum. I think I've seen a few recipes there.

I always bbq'd my rabbit. Soak them like they said and slap em on the grill.... Will be easier to do if you plan on cooking out in the sticks

Good luck

jasonb
02-16-2004, 10:07
My buddy and I make rabbit "nuggets". We stockpile until we have 4-6 rabbits and debone the legs and remove the back/side meat. Everything needs to be cut to as close to the same size as possible. This last time, we used an Asian style tempora batter and a spicy Shake and Bake style breading. We then deep fry for 5-6 minutes as you would for chicken. It's labor intensive but worth it.

JDP
02-18-2004, 11:25
Clean one rabbit and one squirrel(make sure to get all the hair off). Stuff the squirrel inside the rabbit. Put it in a pot with some broth and vegetables. Cook in the oven for 2hrs at 350 or untill done.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........

;V

03-04-2004, 18:05
Originally posted by JDP
Stuff the squirrel inside the rabbit.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........

;V

HAHAHA thats great! What an answer^c

I have so many rabbits and squirrels on my land that I might have to try one of them. They are so used to us we can walk right up to them and hit them with a rock. The kids would like the nuggets.

DJ Niner
03-05-2004, 02:54
Hey lethal tupperwa,

I ain't no gore-may cook ( ;) ), but you seem to have two steps where you add onions, geen pepper, and celery (once near the beginning, and again near the end).

Are you just a veggie lover, or is that a typo?;f

lethal tupperwa
03-05-2004, 08:51
Not a typo.

In that type of cooking usually the veggies are added at three different times.

I shortened it.

You get different flavors at different stages of cooking.

It just makes the flavor more complete-deeper. lethal

DJ Niner
03-06-2004, 03:01
Chalk up another one...despite my best efforts, I learn something new every day!

I wasn't bustin' your chops; I want to try it out, and I had to make a list of the stuff for my wife to get next trip to the store. That's when I noticed the double veggies. Now I know what I need; thanks!

(mouth is watering...gotta go) :)

lethal tupperwa
03-06-2004, 08:39
No busting taken.

Always ask if it is not clear.

Let me know how you like it.

I gave a guy a recipe for deer and he said he didn't like it.

I asked him why? He said because they ate it all and he did not have any to take for lunch. lethal

WTSGalco
03-11-2004, 04:22
Brunswick stew is good & there are a gizzilon different recepies for it. Crock pot is a good place to cook them too.

f1b32oPTic
03-19-2004, 11:13
i like to take the squirrels and pressure cook them until the meat falls off the bone and i pick it free and put it in a sauce pan with brown gravy and mushrooms and cook on low for an hour.

delicious