Texas Red Chili [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas Red Chili

Minuteman
01-18-2004, 02:01
I posted this a while back, but I can't find it in a search. Here it is again.
This is a traditional Texas recipe called Texas Red from Terligua, Texas. Home of the International Chili Cookoff. You can change or add anything you like, but there are 3 rules: No beans, No onions, and No tomatoes or it ain't Texas Red. It's just beef, chili's and seasonings. The red color comes from the peppers. Trust me, this recipe does not need any bottled or packaged chili sauce, were gonna make our own.

You can find all of these ingredients in the mexican section of the grocery store. This recipe is for 6 pounds of beef, makes about 4 quarts of chili.

~8 dried ancho peppers, and 20 (little) dried japones peppers
Prepare dried peppers by removing stems, tops and seeds.

~Boil 1 qt of water, 1 tbl spoon each of salt and canola oil. Add dried peppers, reduce to a low simmer, cover and soften peppers. About 45 min.
~While thats cooking: take 6 lbs of beef (chuck or bottom round) and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
~Pour pepper skins and liquid into a blender with other ingredients.
3 tbls cumin, 3 tbls oregano, 2 tbls salt, 1 tbls of black pepper, 1 tbls sugar, 1 tbls beef base paste, 8 cloves of fresh garlic, 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, 1-3 fresh habanero peppers (depending on desired heat, or leave 'em out if your a whimp ;) ).
~Place all ingredients, except beef cubes, into a blender (or half at a time, if it won't all fit at once). Remove that plastic top from the lid, cover the whole in the lid with a towel and push down firmly. Start the blender on low and increase speed until it's all pureed. Add liquid if it won't keep moving. If you where holding down that lid you don't have chili paste in your eyes and all over the kitchen. When it's smooth, take a tiny little taste of your chili sauce. :)
~Add chili paste, beef cubes and any remaining liquid back into pot. Add just enough water to cover meat. Simmer low for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours or until beef cubes can be crushed against the side with a spoon. Occasionaly stiring lightly. Add water and reduce heat if it starts to stick.
~Then remove some liquid (I take out as much as I can with a soup ladel) and mix the liquid with 4 tbls of corn flour masa (used to make tortillias) until smooth and gently fold back into chili pot. Careful not to break up the, now soft, meat cubes. Add more masa if it's still too soupy, or more water if it's too thick.
~Check for salt content, add more if it tastes bland. Done.
For best results refrigerate overnight and reheat. Serve with white rice or fresh tortillias.

Enjoy.

allanc
01-18-2004, 08:33
Originally posted by Minuteman
... there are 3 rules:No beans, No onions, and No tomatoes or it ain't Texas

It's good to see someone who knows the rules. ;f ;a ;f

lethal tupperwa
01-18-2004, 12:13
after you take out the seeds and before you do the next step put them in a dry heated cast iron frying pan as the heat gets to them they will turn shiny this takes 10-15 seconds and improves the flavor alot.

Minuteman
01-19-2004, 18:44
Should I post my recipe for Green chili?

;a

Quack
01-27-2004, 19:56
for those that use tomato paste/sauce in their chili, try using some Red Hot bloody mary mix instead.

BrushyBill
02-15-2004, 00:05
Please post the recipe for Green Chile! Especially if it's a tasty Pork Green Chile... mmmm....

Garweh
02-15-2004, 10:06
GREEN CHILE STEW
Ingredients:

2 pounds pork, trimmed of visible fat and cubed (loin works well)
4 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped OR 6 canned tomatoes, crushed
1 large onion, diced
8 to 10 green chiles, peeled/seeded/chopped (see note below)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
2 dried red chiles, stemmed and crushed
5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

Method:

Heat the oil in Dutch oven until hot over medium high heat. Brown the pork well on all sides (do this in small batches). Remove the pork from the Dutch oven and sauté the onion until brown. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the pork and all the ingredients EXCEPT the potatoes. Add water (or chicken broth) to ALMOST cover the ingredients in the pot and bring to a simmer on the stove. Place lid on Dutch oven and transfer to a preheated 350 degree oven and braise for 2 ˝ hours, covered.

Add the potatoes and continue to braise until meat and potatoes are tender (about 45 minutes).

Serves 4 to 6

NOTE: Fresh or frozen fire-roasted green chiles that have been thawed (if frozen), peeled, seeded, and chopped are the chiles of choice for this dish. Varieties of green chiles include; Big Jim (medium), Sandia (hot), and Barker’s (extra hot). They are available from The New Mexican Connection (nmcchile.com). Fresh poblano chiles (available in most supermarkets) may also be used. Poblanos should be roasted until the skin is blackened and then placed in a bag to steam the skins loose. The skins are then removed along with the stems and seeds. The poblanos are chopped and used as above. DO NOT use canned green chiles; they do not have the correct flavor!!!

JD8
02-15-2004, 11:11
Originally posted by Minuteman
I posted this a while back, but I can't find it in a search. Here it is again.
This is a traditional Texas recipe called Texas Red from Terligua, Texas. Home of the International Chili Cookoff. You can change or add anything you like, but there are 3 rules: No beans, No onions, and No tomatoes or it ain't Texas Red. It's just beef, chili's and seasonings. The red color comes from the peppers. Trust me, this recipe does not need any bottled or packaged chili sauce, were gonna make our own.

You can find all of these ingredients in the mexican section of the grocery store. This recipe is for 6 pounds of beef, makes about 4 quarts of chili.

~8 dried ancho peppers, and 20 (little) dried japones peppers
Prepare dried peppers by removing stems, tops and seeds.

~Boil 1 qt of water, 1 tbl spoon each of salt and canola oil. Add dried peppers, reduce to a low simmer, cover and soften peppers. About 45 min.
~While thats cooking: take 6 lbs of beef (chuck or bottom round) and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
~Pour pepper skins and liquid into a blender with other ingredients.
3 tbls cumin, 3 tbls oregano, 2 tbls salt, 1 tbls of black pepper, 1 tbls sugar, 1 tbls beef base paste, 8 cloves of fresh garlic, 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, 1-3 fresh habanero peppers (depending on desired heat, or leave 'em out if your a whimp ;) ).
~Place all ingredients, except beef cubes, into a blender (or half at a time, if it won't all fit at once). Remove that plastic top from the lid, cover the whole in the lid with a towel and push down firmly. Start the blender on low and increase speed until it's all pureed. Add liquid if it won't keep moving. If you where holding down that lid you don't have chili paste in your eyes and all over the kitchen. When it's smooth, take a tiny little taste of your chili sauce. :)
~Add chili paste, beef cubes and any remaining liquid back into pot. Add just enough water to cover meat. Simmer low for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours or until beef cubes can be crushed against the side with a spoon. Occasionaly stiring lightly. Add water and reduce heat if it starts to stick.
~Then remove some liquid (I take out as much as I can with a soup ladel) and mix the liquid with 4 tbls of corn flour masa (used to make tortillias) until smooth and gently fold back into chili pot. Careful not to break up the, now soft, meat cubes. Add more masa if it's still too soupy, or more water if it's too thick.
~Check for salt content, add more if it tastes bland. Done.
For best results refrigerate overnight and reheat. Serve with white rice or fresh tortillias.

Enjoy.

Thank you for posting this. This sounds really good.

Phil306
02-15-2004, 12:05
Forgive the question, I am not from Texas. But why no onions in the chili???

;c ;c ;c