Favorite Beers. Impress your friends! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beers. Impress your friends!

Vitamin G
01-19-2004, 06:24
I didn't see a thread like this already, so I figured I might start one. A bulk of my co-workers and I make it to a bar with 200some different beers each friday.
(Please, this is about good tasting beer, not a "Holy crap I can get a 30pack for $7.99" thread. As an addictions counselor, I think ill get personally offended if it becomes so.)
Some of the more interesting ones that I've tried...

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (English)
Delirium Tremens - Kind of sick that it was named after alcohol withdrawl, but hey, its good!
Guiness, of course
Victory Devil Hop Pale ale

Surely I hope to add more next week :)

TomSplasky
01-19-2004, 10:34
I'd have to pick some kind of Lager... not that I've ever.... had any... because thats illega.. *runs away*

chevrofreak
01-19-2004, 10:55
I would imagine Sam Adams Utopias MMII is a good beer.

It damned sure better be since it costs $100 a bottle!

D25
01-19-2004, 12:12
Anything from Rogue.

Guinness.

Beamish, if I can ever find it on tap.

Any good, hoppy IPA.

bachchoy
01-19-2004, 12:22
;g

noway
01-20-2004, 06:52
General Purpose beer for me;

Warsteiner Dark
Negra Modelo
Bass Ale
Fullers ESB
Beck's Dark
Sam Adam Winter ale
Spaten Dark
Redhook ESB

Nothing domestic from the top 3 beers companies ( coors/bud/miller/ ) ;T

jason10mm
01-20-2004, 10:48
I hit up a bunch of American Stouts this weekend and found New Belgium 1554 to be fantastic, as is Sierra Nevada Stout (the Port was ok). Pyramid and Shiner make good Hefe-weizens. Many of the true Belgian Ales are way off the beer scale for me, just too complicated. Nostradamus and Delirum Nocturnum are good examples. Newcastle Brown and JW Dundee Honey Brown are good dark ambers.

23skidoo
01-20-2004, 17:53
I'll stick with my Anchor Steam;Y

jason10mm
01-20-2004, 18:22
I had anchor steam yesterday, DAMN, that is a good brew!

knuckle dragger
01-20-2004, 19:25
I don`t try to impress anyone..If your at my house my fridge has two selections.. Heineken and Budweiser (longnecks)..i have never had anyone turn either of these down..if you do.. i don`t care its just more beer for me..;f

Roland-G23
01-21-2004, 11:04
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Widmer Hefeweizen
Sam Adams Scotch Ale
Anchor Steam
Spaten Optimator
Olde Heurich (Washington D.C.)

mado
01-21-2004, 12:42
Ommegang Hennepin
Flying Fish ESB
Victory Hop Devil
Guinness

SomeGuyInAHat
01-21-2004, 13:38
I enjoy a lot of bottled beers, including, but not limited to:
Michelob Amber Bock
Fat Tire
Anchor Steam
Kilt Lifter
Pyramid Heffeweizen

But I'm lucky enough to have a Rock Bottom Brewery within walking distance of my house, and their handcrafted beers are the best.

noway
01-21-2004, 14:01
{But I'm lucky enough to have a Rock Bottom Brewery within walking distance of my house,}

you lucky dog! ;c

01-21-2004, 15:32
Guiness
Young's Oatmeal Stout
Young's Double Chocolate
St. Pauli Girl Dark
Heineken Dark
Beck's Dark

JOE MACK
01-21-2004, 18:46
When I drink (once in a blue moon) I like: Michelob Amber Bock, MGD, Shiner Bock, Anchor Steam, Cave Creek Chili Beer. Definitely not a beer snob.;c

Cowgunner
01-23-2004, 19:09
Anything German or Irish........

EuroGlock
01-24-2004, 13:44
Grolsch.... very good beer.

Semper Glock
01-24-2004, 17:30
Markischer Landmann...

...that was served to me slightly cool from a tap in a hole-in-the-wall tavern located in the former East Berlin area. I've been looking for it ever since here in the states with no luck.

Phil306
01-24-2004, 20:01
Oh easy:

Chimay Grande Reserve
Orval
Fuller's ESB
EKU 28
Pilsner Urquell

;c ;c ;c

darin2
01-24-2004, 21:55
Kronenberg - French beer

MrsKitty
01-25-2004, 11:55
Very picky about my beer: Corona with extra lime.

Even pickier about my wine: I only like sweet ones. Thus far, I have found three kinds, all from local vineyards.

For some odd reason I just love that Andre Mimosa Royale $3 champage;g

I like about all hard liquors;f If I can't drink 'em straight, I mix 'em;)

Got Glox??
01-25-2004, 12:02
http://www.duvelusa.com/home.shtml

Only on rare occasion, but it's good stuff;V ;V ;V ;Y

JinLA
01-26-2004, 01:20
I enjoy a cold Moosehead, from our neighbors to the north. Heinies too. And Peter's from Holland.
Anything, really.
I like beer. ;a

noway
01-26-2004, 08:32
Yep Duvel along with Nostradamos or any of the Val Dieu, sit right on my list of fine ales. Great to drink but very pricey for everyday consumption.

Got Glox??
01-26-2004, 08:44
Originally posted by noway
Yep Duvel along with Nostradamos or any of the Val Dieu, sit right on my list of fine ales. Great to drink but very pricey for everyday consumption.

That's why i only drink Duvel on rare occasion. It goes down soooooo smooth, then makes ya look like this^7 Never had a beer creep up on me and hit me like Duvel does;g No wonder why it's named Devil;N ;f

rottglocken
01-26-2004, 09:59
In order:
[list=1]
Alaskan Amber, from Alaska Brewery
Saranac Adirondack Amber
Beamish Stout
Guiness
Yeungling Lager
Danish Dynamite (found in small tavern near Salisbury, England)
Corona
[/list=1]

At various times, the positions on the list will move up and down, primarily due to the weather. But those are pretty much it for me. Anything else is just for variety.

anomad
01-27-2004, 17:00
Bellheimer Dunkel Weizen

Best beer I've ever had, but good luck finding it.

Clyde
01-29-2004, 14:55
Guinness Stout

SoBored20
01-29-2004, 15:42
Dont they have BUD LIGHT where YALL come from? It's good, you 'ought to give it a try sometime.

JennYe
01-30-2004, 06:17
My favorite beer and junk food too.
Imperial beer and Pringles.
As served in the fabulous "Hotel Del Rey Blue Marlin Bar". (Google that for a kick)
;c

Nestor
01-31-2004, 13:58
I love beer, it helped me a lot... ;f ;e ;f ;e

noway
01-31-2004, 21:27
Nestor, That jpeg is out dated by a few thousand years. Beer has been prodcued as far as back as 1-to-2thousand years ago +- a few hundred of years.

MrsKitty
01-31-2004, 21:58
Nestor,

When get over here, I hope all your GT friends don't give you alcohol posioning your first few days here...

Just look at all the beers you have been promised;)

BTW, I will buy the first Corona:cool:

Remander
02-01-2004, 00:56
Newcastle Brown Ale (from the U.K., but easy to find in the U.S.) Best beer I've ever had!!! If you like beer, you have to try it. Brown and smooth, with a little sweetness. As a Yorkshireman once told me, "It's mother's milk, it 'tis!"

Fat Tire Ale (from Ft. Collins Brewery in Colorado)

McEwan's India Pale Ale

Old Speckled Hen (U.K.)

Black Sheep (hard to find in U.S., but if you are in the north of England around Yorkshire -- it's brewed in Masham -- it is awesome!)

Nestor
02-04-2004, 13:56
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Nestor,

When get over here, I hope all your GT friends don't give you alcohol posioning your first few days here...

Just look at all the beers you have been promised;)

BTW, I will buy the first Corona:cool:

Misskitty I can't wait any longer...

Nestor, That jpeg is out dated by a few thousand years. Beer has been prodcued as far as back as 1-to-2thousand years ago +- a few hundred of years.

You right friend, I just found it funny...;a

MrMurphy
02-04-2004, 16:22
Kilt Lifter? That's a Scottish joke waiting to happen......

Guinness. Any of the Scottish, English, or German stuff.

c5367
02-05-2004, 01:57
MMmmmm....Beer....... ;c
I'm somewhat partial to Weiss beers, the best being Erdinger, Paulaner, and surprisingly Sam Adams Weiss. Its the only non-Bavarian brewery to do weiss beer right, IMHO. The first I've only found in Germany but the latter two are readily available here. The U.S. version of Paulaner tastes a little different than the European brew, but tasty nonetheless.
As far as traditional lagers are concerned, Sam Adams Boston lager is defintely my favorite.

I've seen a few people mention Anchor Steam, is that a regional microbrew? I've never seen it here in my neck of the woods, but considering the number of mentions here, I think I'd like to give it a try.

Crvtte65
02-05-2004, 09:16
Originally posted by SomeGuyInAHat
But I'm lucky enough to have a Rock Bottom Brewery within walking distance of my house, and their handcrafted beers are the best.

As do I but have yet to try them...

I enjoy Blue Moon and Dos Equis w/lime. Then if not that Bud is it

Big_Steve
02-06-2004, 15:16
Pretty much any malt liquor, in 40 oz. bottles of course.

Mickey's, Olde English, Colt 45 are my usuals.

(As you can tell, I am quite the sophisticate)

Steve

frettedfive
02-10-2004, 20:34
Originally posted by EuroGlock
Grolsch.... very good beer.
Indeed it is!!! ;c

I discovered it on a trip to St. Louis, and I've loved it ever since.

Very crisp, refreshing, and easy to drink. Plus, those swing-top bottles are cool as hell!

I also like...

Guinness (my favorite... wish I had one right now ;V)
Hoegaarden White
Negra Modelo
Bass
Molson Light
Bitburger

I try to avoid any domestic brews if at all possible. Rolling Rock is the one exception I can think of at the moment...

noway
02-11-2004, 07:18
I just Add 'Old Hooky" ale to my list.

Very crisp light body ale in a 16.9fl oz bottle. (It's British)

Very similiar to the Fischer Traditional amber ale but with a more prounounced taste.

Raptor5
02-14-2004, 23:07
My Favorite: Foster's lager.

My most hated: Rolling Rock - barf!

Jubal Early
02-19-2004, 17:51
I gotta vote for Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer, Dead Guy Ale from Rogue River, and best of all a black and tan made with Gunness and Bass Pale Ale.;c

JerryWahid
02-19-2004, 18:20
The Belgian ales rock...
Particularly I like Chimay, Maredsous, St. Bernardius (sp), and an American one called Allagash is mighty tasty.
Spaten Optimator was mentioned...that is also lovely. Try Elephant if you like Optimator.

Beer is good. To name all the good beers is impossible.

rottglocken
02-23-2004, 15:07
JerryWahid, what the hell is that thing in your avatar????!

Agree on the Allegash. Blue Moon isn't bad either, for a domestic. Also, Samuel Adams' Spring brew (just released, can't remember the exact name, but it is a Belgian wheat brew).

JerryWahid
02-23-2004, 21:07
That thing in my avatar is from the Quiznos commercial.

Back to beer...while at the Flying Saucer here in houston I tried another beer that was pretty good. It is called Ommegang and it is brewed in Cooperstown. Yum.

That and Guinness
Anchor Steam
Newcastle
I think thats all I drank but I can't be sure...my memory of the incident is kind of hazy;g ;a

rdsharp
02-24-2004, 15:36
In no particular order:

Sam Adams Summer Ale
Guinness
Double Happiness (had it several times in Sounthern China. MUCH better than the Tsing Tao with an export sticker I had in Beijing).
Grolsch
Bass

okie
02-25-2004, 07:20
Bud the king of beers;V ;Y

KeroScene
02-25-2004, 10:14
;U

I am a beer advocate . (www.beeradvocate.com)I'm also new here to Glock Talk so forgive me if I ask newbie questions, i'll try to read up before I ask ...

I love DogFish Head Beers , made in Delaware ...Shelter Pale Ale is friggin' awesome all-around brewski .
I like Penn Brewery beers, made in Pittsburgh . the new Penn Marzen is another simply awesome all-around staple beer .

And when budget allows, I love Belgian beers like St. Bernardus abt 12 and Duvel and Bornem dubbel and so on ...

I could go on and on but trust me, I love good beer .
I haven't had anything like Budweiser or Coors in years.
It tastes like crap to me anymore .

The small-batch made beers are where it's at !

;c ;R

proactive
02-25-2004, 11:51
Rogue (especially Dead Guy Ale)
Flying Dog Pale Ale (CO)
Red Hook IPA
My all time fav.(If you can find it)is Lagunita's IPA. Its from California, but I had it in Oregon.
The hoppier the better. ;c cheers

moeman
02-28-2004, 13:23
I'm sorry to say that I don't/can't drink alcohol any more but that hasn't stopped me from these two non-alcoholic beers that are pretty darn good (I don't like most of them).

Clausthauler
St. Pauli Girl NA

Back in the day it is pretty hard to beat draft Bass Ale for nationally available beers, but I did love a lot of draft micro-brews. On a super hot day, its all good, even Coors.

noway
02-28-2004, 23:31
I don't know if this beer was mention but I ran across it a few weeks ago, "Abita Amber" It is a great ale produce right here in the USA.

Very smooth and a great light ale.

Remander
02-28-2004, 23:37
Abita makes several good beers. The brewery is located near New Orleans, Louisiana. Purple Haze and Turbo Dog (dark) are great.

noway
02-29-2004, 12:51
Good thing that I can find it right here in the So FLa area. I looking at trying their red ale and hope it is just as good as their Amber.

groverglock
02-29-2004, 18:29
Lobotamy Bock made by Indian Wells brewery. 10.5% alc.
www.mojave-red.com the Mojave Red is good too

Arrogant Bastard Ale a very good Brew www.arrogantbastard.com
(no I am not taking about anyone in the top ten GT posters);c ;f

Cancri
03-05-2004, 02:37
Pilsner Urquell

http://www.prazdroj.cz/cz/images/2_01.jpg

http://www.pilsner-urquell.com/
The one and only!

spetsnaz777
03-05-2004, 08:39
Tuborg, Karlsberg, Paulaner, Corona!

noway
03-05-2004, 09:32
Panqster ale is a very good slight sweet Belgian style Ale, bottle in the state and is quite tasty.

{Purple Haze and Turbo Dog (dark) are great.}

I tried the turbodog and it wasn't all that great in my opinion. The purple haze is definetely not on my todo list.

proactive
03-05-2004, 10:00
Arrogant Bastard Ale a very good Brew www.arrogantbastard.com

Ah, yes. Another vote for the Arrogant Bastard. Never a cooler bottle, either.