Digital food thermometers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Digital food thermometers

Wayne02
01-19-2004, 16:49
I was watching some food show the other day and the guy deployed what looked like a digital thermometer to check if the fish was done. Looked like it was one-hand opening with the probe folding out like the blade of the knife. Looked like it would be much easier and faster then the old dial type.

Anybody use one of these? How do you like it? What brand?

Thanks
Wayne

Hines57
01-19-2004, 18:11
These are the ones we used. Infrared, nothing touches the food. Of course it only takes surface temps. But very handy to check and make sure food is up to proper temperature.

http://www.tooldesk.com/shop/raytekmtfs.wml

Garweh
01-21-2004, 21:29
I have three digital thermometers at home. Two look like the standard "instant read" thermometers in that they both have a 4 to 5 inch metal probe with a digital readout on top. They are excellent for checking the internal temperatures of meats and take about 15 seconds to equilabrate. Only caveat; DO NOT leave them in the food and putr them back in the oven, on the grill, etc. as they will melt. They cost about $14 each. My third is a wireless thermometer. The probe is bonded to a thermally protected wire that plugs into a small radio transmitter. The probe is place in the thickest part of the meat and is temperature safe up to 410 degrees. It stays in during the cooking process. I wear the wireless receiver on my belt or leave it on the counter. I set the temperature alarm and it beeps when the meat reaches the preset temperature. This one costs about $50.

Was the chef you were watching Alton Brown? Love his gadgets!

Wayne02
01-22-2004, 14:09
Originally posted by Garweh
My third is a wireless thermometer. The probe is bonded to a thermally protected wire that plugs into a small radio transmitter. The probe is place in the thickest part of the meat and is temperature safe up to 410 degrees. It stays in during the cooking process. I wear the wireless receiver on my belt or leave it on the counter. I set the temperature alarm and it beeps when the meat reaches the preset temperature. This one costs about $50.

Was the chef you were watching Alton Brown? Love his gadgets!
That sounds like it might be very handy. Would save a bunch of trips to the kitchen to check on the meat. Is it pretty robust? Can you use it in steaks that are right under the broiler? What happens when you have to turn the steak over?

I think is was Alton Brown I was watching. I'm pretty new at this cooking thing so I don't really remember. But the guy did seem to have a lot of techy cooking gear.

Wayne

Garweh
01-24-2004, 16:06
I generally do not use a broiler, I prefer a grill. As long as the temperature is less than ~450 degrees, it should be OK. There are several different brands out there and I am sure that they are all different. Suggest you check out any good cookware store or online source (Williams Sonoma or TheGadgetSource.com). I have been very happy with mine. The cross section of the probe is round, therefore the steak will "rotate" right around the probe when you turn the steak.