George Foreman Grill, anyone have one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : George Foreman Grill, anyone have one?

Seminoles
01-20-2004, 12:25
Thinking about picking one of these up. Can anyone tell me anything good/bad about their experiences with it?

noway
01-20-2004, 12:57
My mom bought me one like about 6 years ago when the 1st came out ( the style that looks like a big waffle maker w/lid)

It was okay for the 1st 100 use, but soon after repetitive(sp?) cleaning the coating started coming off,the plastic scrapper was about no good and it was getting harder and harder to clean.

It was okay and better than cooking on a stove top.

Alsatian
01-20-2004, 16:58
I've had mine for about 4 years and it is great, especially in the winter when it's too cold to grill outside. I haven't had any sticking problems, but I like to spray Pam on both surfaces after it gets hot.

JTB
01-20-2004, 17:00
I think it works great but cleaning it is a pain. The plates do not come off so after cleaning it, I get to clean the counter, the floor and myself.

tpiini
01-20-2004, 17:14
Mine broke after using it only a few times. Something about moving across country and setting it on the floor of the trailer under my motorcycle. I mean, really. If just a motorcycle bouncing up and down on it for a few thousand miles could break it into a zillion pieces, what the heck is it worth?

My second one works great!

rhikdavis
01-20-2004, 18:10
I have an off brand....it's great. Don't forget to position the grease catcher tho'. ;f

bachchoy
01-20-2004, 18:12
;g

DaleGribble
01-20-2004, 21:04
I bought my mom and dad the big deluxe George Foreman grill for Christmas and they love it, they've been using it all the time. There only complaint so far is that it's a pain to clean up.

rhikdavis
01-20-2004, 21:17
Cleaning? You're supposed to clean them? .... Frig that....I like the perpetually greased effect. ;g ;f

MrsKitty
01-20-2004, 21:21
Here is a trick I learned from a friend guys: try "frying" your bacon in your George Foreman grill. You will have to flip it once, maybe twice depending on how crispy you like it. But there will be no grease popping out all over the kitchen to have to clean up!

I clean ours by using damp paper towels while the plates are still pretty warm. Not hot enough to burn me but plenty warm enough to melt the grease. I fold them a few times and wipe. If necessary, I use the stick-thingee to scrape the towel over the plate if there is something stuck there.

01-21-2004, 00:56
i don't have one, but everyone I ever met that does RAVES about the thing. Besides, George is such a nice guy.

Bruce

darin2
01-21-2004, 20:41
I have one of the extra large grills that has a bun warmer on the top. I've never had a problem...and the bun warmer actually works. The easiest way to clean it is to simply wipe it down while it's still warm/hot. The non stick surface cleans up nicely.

Darin

jason10mm
01-22-2004, 08:33
Mine is pretty beat up, but has seen several years of hard service. I thinkl there are similar devices out there with removable plates, I would DEFINITELY look into that product, 'cause cleaning the GF grill can be a real pain in the ***** if you use a lot of sauce and marinade like I do. Actually, now that I have a good grill pan, the GF grill does not see much service. The grill pan is a little slower since it only cooks on one side at a time, but the results are a little better for me and it is a LOT easier to clean.

knuckle dragger
01-22-2004, 10:05
love mine...but wish it was larger

kckndrgn
01-22-2004, 10:53
Guess I get to be one of the few that couldn't stand using ours. I liked the idea and everybody was raving about them and we, my wife and I, got one as a wedding present. Now, it wasn't the official Foreman Grill, just a knock off. WE BOTH HATTED IT!!! wait a minute, hate is not a strong enough word. We would routinly have steaks and burgers that were burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Then it was a total PIA to clean. I would much rather grill outside in the winter than use another one of these "grills".

But that's just my opinion.

CaptDoug04
01-24-2004, 07:49
LOVE mine, even though it tried to commit suicide. Had it on the island in the kitchen, opened it and turned to get the meat to put on it. I guess it did not fully lock all the way back and as I turn around it is flipping OFF THE ISLAND! ;P It still works, but it is going to be replaced asap!

Griz
01-24-2004, 11:27
We LOVE ours, BOTH of 'em. I won a small one first then we got a big one... wife managed to let it get away and fall on floor, broke one foot. So we replaced it with another. Beats trying to grill in crummy weather. Cleans good especially if you don't wait too long.

The Pontificator
01-25-2004, 06:35
Originally posted by rhikdavis
Cleaning? You're supposed to clean them? .... Frig that....I like the perpetually greased effect. ;g ;f

I'll be searching GT for your next post: "Why do I have constant diarreah?" ;i

Dogbite
01-30-2004, 20:13
We have one--its great--and really works like they say--one of the few things that does "as shown on tv".

Remander
01-31-2004, 00:11
I figured they were junk like other TV products, then got a gift of a Foreman knock-off by Black and Decker.

We love it for catfish fillets. Real nice with a little Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Grills sliced veggies nicely too. Put a little olive oil and seasoning on them.

The best part: Unlike Foreman, my knock-off has plate surfaces that easily unclip for cleaning. Heck, you can even put them in the dishwasher.

I would definitely look for a model with detachable cooking surface plates. That cures the main gripe about Foreman: the cleanup.

CaptDoug04
02-01-2004, 20:41
Went looking for a new GF at Sears, saw the HUGE ones for $99, the wife said she wasn't spending that much on one. Then she turned around and saw the box: Huge one, 2 patty one and toaster with warmer for $99!!! ^5 ^5 ^5
Old one is going to go to work with the wife. Now all I need is a bigger counter ;f

Soujurn
02-05-2004, 02:43
I got one for Christmas a few years ago, but have never used it. Don't ask me why, I don't havea reason not to use it. Lazy I guess.

Medford4
02-05-2004, 22:01
Consumer Reports tested several grills, and found the brand Walmart carries to be a best buy. I bought one a few months ago and love it. It's as large as the big GF grill, and only cost about $45. I forget the brand name...it may be Hamilton Beach, but wouldn't swear to it. Grills don't come out on it either.

cmzneb
02-06-2004, 17:47
I use two of the $10 G F grills (Wal-Mart) in my restaurant to grill chicken for salads. These two little grills have been going strong for nearly 7 months now with some super heavy use (unlike they would ever see in someones home). I just bought one of the $30 ones for my house.

I'm not much of one for gimmicky kitchen items, but these grills are the bomb!!!

BrushyBill
02-14-2004, 22:58
My experience has been that these things seem to completely overcook things... had the driest burger I've EVER had with mine. Yuck!

edbird45
02-15-2004, 16:28
I have a large one given to me by a relative. It's great for the kids' grilled cheese sandwiches or cuban sandwiches, just ok for burgers, and GREAT for hot dogs.

I also use the "paper towels while grill is hot" method of cleaning it which works fine. I don't have the scraper anyway.

It is a good product for some things.

EDBIRD45

MrsKitty
02-15-2004, 18:48
Just thought of something else I use mine for!

I love grilled squash, zuchinni and eggplant. I will slice then spray them with Pam or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt or spices and toss on there. Works great for this!

spetsnaz777
02-29-2004, 20:39
Had one since 1999... An invaluable addition to my cooking repetoire!;a

Tol
03-05-2004, 11:30
Originally posted by JTB
I think it works great but cleaning it is a pain. The plates do not come off so after cleaning it, I get to clean the counter, the floor and myself.

Ditto!
I don't have a George Foreman, but have something really similar. I like it. I'll throw frozen chicken breasts in it right out of the bag in the freezer and they cook perfectly. It's a little limited. There are only so many things that you want to cook in it. But it does a good job on what I've put in it.

But I end up making a hell of a mess trying to clean it because I'm hesitant to dunk the whole thing and, as JTB mentioned, the plates don't come off. If I don't make a mess, I just take a long time. My girlfriend can clean it with no mess in about 90 sec so I suspect it is a technique problem. I love to cook but would rather throw dishes into the yard than handwash them. If only the plates would come off so I could put them in the dishwasher.

grantglock
03-19-2004, 13:31
i hate them, i used mine like 3 times, you can have it if you pay for shipping.

jonarbuckle
03-20-2004, 04:30
Got one of those. Have really enjoyed it, too. Cutting the grease and fat out makes eating burgers more guiltless. They're worth it if you grill a lot.