What the deal with Kosher salt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What the deal with Kosher salt?

Soujurn
01-27-2004, 00:58
It seems every cooking show uses it. Why?
What is so special about it?

mudfootball
01-27-2004, 08:38
kosher or sea salt, i love them both and they are usually lumped together. Kosher just isnt salty like iodized table salt. It just has a good taste, tough to explain. I was enlightened last year. A friend made me this thing. She used crusty bread puts sliced garlic and tomato on it, basil olive oil and sea salt. Salt made the dish. However it is not as salty as normal salt thats why you see them adding what looks to be way to much when they use it.
kt

bachchoy
01-27-2004, 08:43
;c

MrsKitty
01-27-2004, 09:15
It is milder yet it has more salt kick, if that makes sense....

However, it does not have iodine. That is the only downside. Just make sure you use iodized table salt since you need iodine in your diet, unless you are allergic to shellfish;)

Griz
01-27-2004, 09:19
I have to agree also, I just tried some sea salt Lays potatoe chips ( yeah I know its junk food ) and they have a better taste.
Even my other half who dosen't use much salt had to agree it is an improvment.

lethal tupperwa
01-27-2004, 09:25
Kosher salt is larger and disolves slower when cooking.

noway
01-27-2004, 09:49
Only downside is the salt normally cost more. I guess being Kosher and all, means jack the price up(LOL).

HINT: I have a old pepper grinder that I fill with the morton coarse Kosher Salt that I used to cut the salt crystals down and this helps alot.

Penman
01-27-2004, 15:02
Some table salt has additives in it to keep it from forming lumps. When used in canning, it can cause a slight cloudiness to the liquids. Kosher salt avoids this. If you want something interesting for table use, have an old fashioned salt cellar with Alae salt from Hawaii. This is sea salt with a reddish color, from the rocks that hold the evaporating water. It's supposed to have a sllightly different flavor. Sometimes Asian grocery stores will have it.

fnfalman
01-27-2004, 18:07
Sea salts are much better condiments than processed salt because they have that saline, "sea" flavor. Not to mention the crunchiness of it^c

Some sea salts are prohibitively expensive such as the ones harvested from Ile de Re island in the South Atlantic French coast.

cmzneb
02-06-2004, 17:53
Try this with Kosher Salt and regular table salt:

First taste a little Kosher salt.

Next taste the regular table salt (without drinking anything in between)

Once I tasted how harsh the regular table salt was compared to Kosher salt, I never used regular salt for cooking again.

kilroy2721
02-06-2004, 20:27
I coat our potatoes with a little bit of peanut oil, then put a coating of Kosher Salt on them before baking...tastes great.

rhikdavis
02-11-2004, 18:40
Does rice keep sea salt from clumping? ...what if my salt is already clumped.. ;g

Penman
02-12-2004, 11:57
Rice in a salt shaker will absorb some of the moisture and help in preventing the "clumping". If your salt already is "clumped", you'll probably need to break it up or replace it.

Minuteman
02-23-2004, 13:58
Coarse salt allows for an UNeven distribution of salt. You get little salty bits mixed in with the food rather than just raising the salt content of the whole dish.
This is alot like the diffrence between regular table sugar and powdered sugar. The powdered sugar can get too sweet, almost sacrine, very quickly. So you wouldn' use it in your coffee or for most cooking. Try it in your coffee, you add a little, taste but it still needs more, add a little more- taste, still needs more, add a little more- now it's too sweet. There is no real middle ground.
With coarse salt, it's easier to get that flavor enhancement of salt, without over salting the whole dish.
This works best by appliying the salt directly to the ingredients such as the meat, vegies, etc. Or add it to the liquid just before serving.
It used to be traditional to have a salt dish on the table so that everyone would just take a pinch and add it themselves. Now only jewish families do this. Nowadays, most people would assume you couldn't afford a salt shaker.

Minuteman
02-23-2004, 14:02
Originally posted by rhikdavis
Does rice keep sea salt from clumping? ...what if my salt is already clumped.. ;g

Just break it up. Shake it up or crush it with a mortar, or large spoon, but not to fine.

saluki9
02-23-2004, 14:03
I guess being Kosher and all, means jack the price up(LOL).

The kosher in Kosher salt doesn't come from the fact that regular salt isn't kosher (it is) Instead it is the salt used by kosher butchers to soak chicken in to remove all the blood.

This leads to another topic. If you have never used kosher chicken, you are really missing something great. I don't care what your religious preferences. Wow is it good.

bachchoy
02-23-2004, 14:05
;c

spetsnaz777
02-29-2004, 09:52
Is kosher salt blessed by a Rabbi?

Short Cut
02-29-2004, 10:07
Do a taste test for yourself. It's the best way to determine your preferences for salt and other condiments. Kosher salt, to me, just tastes better.

cmzneb
02-29-2004, 14:15
Originally posted by spetsnaz777
Is kosher salt blessed by a Rabbi?

Foods that are Kosher are not "blessed" by a Rabbi. Foods that are "Kosher" have just been made/processed following a strict set of rules, and usually supervised by a Rabbi.